Board logo

Sierra what can I get
matt_baxter - 4/1/06 at 06:11 PM

Hi I have just got myself a donor sierra for free (the price I like)
I was wondering if you lot could help me and tell me what I need to take off the car and use on my locost

Thanks for all your help

Matt

zxrlocost - 4/1/06 at 06:18 PM

diff on the rear
both rear drive shafts
engine(if your going that way)
propshaft
brake callipers/drums
front and rear
handbrake mechanism

plan ahead aswell the car wont be very movable once the back axle is off

donut - 4/1/06 at 06:18 PM

Where are you?

big_wasa - 4/1/06 at 06:21 PM

What engine/box has it got?

What sort of Locost are you building?

Lots and lots of questions dictate the answers.

But a good start would be all the running gear. What you don’t want is the shell the glass, seats ECT .What you do want is every last nut/bolt/relay/switch ECT.

Ideally your best keeping the car if you have the space as it doesn’t matter how much you take of you will forget something?

Hellfire - 4/1/06 at 06:44 PM

Steering Rack
Steering Column
Steering Wheel and Ignition barrel with all stalks
Loom
Brake Master Cylinder

donut - 4/1/06 at 06:50 PM

Don't forget the fury dice!!

fesycresy - 4/1/06 at 07:11 PM

Keep the bonnet. Absolutely essential.

If we have some snow then you've a cracking sled

matt_baxter - 4/1/06 at 07:31 PM

Thanks this is all great,
I will be using the engine and gearbox it is a 1.8 estate, i think. I am going to try to make it as cheap as possible as that is meant to be locost way and I will have added costs on delivery up here, in the outer hebrides, on anything that I need to order.
by the way will the fact that it is an estate make any difference?
and can I use any of the suspention?

Thanks again please keep it comming
Matt

p.s fesycresy I like your pic

[Edited on 4/1/06 by matt_baxter]

02GF74 - 5/1/06 at 09:52 AM

think of what is connected to your hands and legs when driving normally and work from that point to the extremities of the car;

in addition to the lists, pedal box? gear stick? switches? instruments? speedo drive, cltuch cable. rear view mirror perhaps? radiator? electric fan? washer bottle, wiper motor/mech?

wheels and tyres - you will be able to roll the chasis and ditch them for blingy ones later perhaps.

If you have space to store the bits, it does sound like ditch the shell and keep the rest excpet for seat and interior trim! You can always throw it away later once you have determined you don't need it.

The Book lists the parts.

DaveFJ - 5/1/06 at 10:18 AM

keep as much as you can store... it's amazing the crap you can end up re-using...

one of the best tips I had.. remove every nut, bolt and washer you can get your hands on.....