Board logo

Good looking rear engined kit cars?
MattWatson - 20/2/03 at 02:37 AM

Does anyone know of any good looking rear engined kit cars that are made or distributed in the US or Canada?

I don't know that I have the time patience or ability to make my own body, and have subsequently been looking for a good, fast looking kit car. Unfortunately, it has been ultimately unsuccessful.

The closest thing I have found that I would like is a lotus 23 type replica. But then I would depart from the mid rear, and have to order from the UK.

Anyone have any idea's?

TheGecko - 20/2/03 at 04:36 AM

Matt,

You may need to define what you think is good looking. I know for sure that some things I like, other people think of as heinously ugly and vice-versa.

The Sylva Mojo is not bad - version 2 is less "jelly mould" than the original.
The Midtec Spyder looks alright from the front but is a bit "squashed frog" from all other angles
The Carcraft Cyclone is very Lotus 7-like but currently out of production I think. Might be the easiest one to copy without making noulds etc.
The GTM Libra is very good looking (having been styled by the very professional Richard oakes) but is a monocoque rather than just a body.

Perhaps a quick vote on these four might give a better sense of your idea of "good looking"

Hope this helps,

Dominic (who will build his own body)

MK9R - 20/2/03 at 08:53 AM

Best looking -
GTM
Cyclone
Spider
Mojo 2 is vile!

IMOA

AlanB's beats the lot though!

[Edited on 20/2/03 by MK9R]

kingr - 20/2/03 at 11:01 AM

I'll put a vote in for the GTM Libra, doubly with a KV6 2.6 stuck in the back!!

Kingr

MattWatson - 20/2/03 at 03:22 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MK9R
Best looking -
GTM
Cyclone
Spider
Mojo 2 is vile!

IMOA

[Edited on 20/2/03 by MK9R]

I don't know... I like the mojo better thanthe cyclone. The GTM Spyder is cool, but to get one over here would cost an arm and a leg.

What I really like is this:

http://www.stuart-taylor.co.uk/frame_pages/parts_page_frame.htm

If it was rear engined, that would be much the better. I would like something light and not to expensive (as I multiply the price by 3 to get it here and convert(canada))

MattWatson - 20/2/03 at 03:25 PM

And the fact that the partner possibly bank rolling part of this dosn't like open wheeled lotus type cars....

Edit:

anyone know if this: http://www.fishersportscars.co.uk/fish7.html car is the same as the ones above? Looks identical.

[Edited on 20/2/03 by MattWatson]

Simon - 20/2/03 at 03:44 PM

Matt,

I do believe that Ultima are available in the US:

http://www.ultimasports.co.uk/usa/index.html

Not cheap, but very very fast.

If I a few spare pennies, that's where theyd be going.

I haven't, so I'm building the best alternative (IMHO)

ATB

Simon

[Edited on 20/2/03 by Simon]

MattWatson - 20/2/03 at 06:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Simon
Matt,

I do believe that Ultima are available in the US:

http://www.ultimasports.co.uk/usa/index.html

Not cheap, but very very fast.

If I a few spare pennies, that's where theyd be going.

I haven't, so I'm building the best alternative (IMHO)

ATB

Simon

[Edited on 20/2/03 by Simon]

Thats a little out of my price range. I love the 23' style cars as you can get them fairly cheap, and they will go balls out with my pittley 1.6T engine.

I may just get the bodywork for a super 7 increase the width of the nosecone, and do a rear engined job with it. I have no problems building the chassis and such, just don't know if I have the time to invest in bodywork.

robinbastd - 20/2/03 at 09:51 PM

Kingr- I have driven the black Libra V6,as used in GTMs adverts.....................
As anyone that has ever seen a Libra will know,they are so much better looking in the flesh. Somehow pics don't do them justice. If only.................
Ian

[Edited on 20/2/03 by robinbastd]

MattWatson - 20/2/03 at 10:04 PM

http://www.dalhems.com/vw%20typ%201/mania.html

what do you think about this?

kingr - 21/2/03 at 10:20 AM

Robinbastd - Yeah, I agree about looking better in the flesh, there were quite a few at exeter, needless to say, I took quite a pictures!! I didn't realise the black one in the pics was a V6, I assumed it was a 1.8. They're supposed to be very lotus elise like, is that true?

With the full instruments and interior surfaces packs, they look extremely production car like indeed, which I guess is what all kit cars should aspire to.

I have to admit, I'd be tempted to have one as my next every day car.

Kingr

Simon - 21/2/03 at 11:30 AM

Matt

"...what do you think about this?"

I thought they stopped making Kitcars using the VW chassis years ago.

Can't understand why a company would go to all the trouble to design and build a body to go on 50 year old chassis design.

My thoughts!!

ATB

Simon

MattWatson - 21/2/03 at 08:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Simon
Matt

"...what do you think about this?"

I thought they stopped making Kitcars using the VW chassis years ago.

Can't understand why a company would go to all the trouble to design and build a body to go on 50 year old chassis design.

My thoughts!!

ATB

Simon

If I did it, I sure as heck wouldn't use a VW chassis. I would fabricate a spaceframe. I just liked the look of the car itself.

robinbastd - 21/2/03 at 11:11 PM

Kingr, If a Libra is black it'll be a V6.At least that was meant to be the rule. Wouldn't know whether it is Elise like as I'm too tall to drive one. I dare say the build quality of a GTM exceeds that of the Lotus If I didn't have 2 kids and a big useless dog a Libra would be my choice.
Regards
Ian

Alan B - 23/2/03 at 02:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MK9R
Best looking -
GTM
Cyclone
Spider
Mojo 2 is vile!

IMOA