Board logo

Our Velocity XT is coming along
saigonij - 10/11/04 at 02:23 PM

Hi,

This is the first time i have posted info on the car im building, but we got to an exciting stage last night, so i thought id share... plus i have a some questions

Progress so far...

Front suspension and rear suspension is now on and the car is a rolling chassis! Front brakes are on, steering rack in etc. Im really surprised how easy it is to turn the wheels with the engine all in etc...

which leads me on to this...

engine and gear box almost in...

The engine we are using is the 130bhp 1.8 Zetec. This will run the stock EFi system ( as its pretty easy to install ). Our first trial fit showed that the Inlet manifold was too high -> it was the metal, over the top type. So, we found a 2lt Mondeo manifold, which is plastic and much lower ( it starts at the ports, goes down the back of the engine, and back up to the top where the throttle body sits. ). This was not without its problems though!!! looking from the inlet side of the engine, the inlet manifold port tubes ( for a better word ) all sweep to the gearbox end of the engine - this being a problem because it hits one of the engine bay tri-box sections ( just in front of master cylinders, but higher ). To solve this we will cut out this triangulation section, shorten it, and move it further in to the corner ( only need to move it 2 cm ).

The next problem was the engine loom wiring. Being from a mondeo, the connector, although the same has a differnt pin arrangement, ( e.g. the injector feeds are pin 6 on the metal inlet type, and pin 5 on the platic mondeo inlet type ) . So to get around this, we replaced the mondeo engine loom with the wiring from the Metal Over the top style inlet manifold. This worked well and had most things in the right place. we had to cut the insulation off to re-route the ISCV and swap the TPS over, but its now all done, and should work ok.

We then fitted the rear suspension, which went wrong! We were supplied with two rear hub carries of the same type ( e.g. two calliper facing front ones ) so the passenger calliper fixed on no probs, but the drivers side carrier was not the mirror of the passenger, so the calliper would not fit on for the drives side.

anyway, a quick call to Grant at Luego ( at 7pm too, so thanks for your help esp out of hours ) sorted that out with 1 in the post today.

its starting to look really good now, and had two people comment on how fast it looked, even just sitting there!

We then plonked the seats in and played "cars" for the next 5 mins!

So thats the progress so far.

thanks,

Ian and Dan ( not gay or out ).

Chris Green - 10/11/04 at 02:29 PM

It would be really good if you could take some photo's? in particular the engine install.

I am looking at using the zetec with its existing air intake and fueling / ignition. The engine has got great potential, but my budget doesn't allow for megasquirt, or throttle bodies just yet!

I don't belive it is used that often due to the height of the engine. most people fit throttle bodies or carbs.

Best Regards,

Chris.

saigonij - 10/11/04 at 02:34 PM

no problemo.

ill take some pics at the weekend i hope. With the platic manifold, the top of the throttle body is lower than the top of the engine, but about 3-4 inchs or so. We will fit a 90 deg bend pipe on the throttle body, and fit the Air Mass Meter at the front of the engine, above the rad, with a metal heat defeltor to stop rad heat being sucked in.

We used the wiring from an Orion Zetec so the wiring is fairly simple.

Andybarbet - 11/11/04 at 12:15 AM

Any pics would be good, i just got my kit on saturday and would like to see some in the process of being built.
How have you found it so far ?
Cheers.Andy

[Edited on 11/11/04 by Andybarbet]

saigonij - 11/11/04 at 08:33 AM

yea, good.

so far, the only problem we encountered was the diff brackets. We took the diff from a DOHC, which is wider at the top than the bracket allowed. We had to bash the bracket to the left, fit the diff and then bash it back and bolt it up. I posted a thread about it a month back in the Running Gear Section ( Velocity XT Rear Diff Boltup i think ).

other than that, its been fine.

We have taken our time ( picked up the kit mid July ) over making it, so we dont rush things, AND we have it in a workshop unit which allows loads of space.

We were really impressed with the chassis, the welds and the kit contents, and Grant and Matt have been very helpful.

only disappointing thing was a real lack of chocolate digestive biscuits when we went to pick the kit up!

ill take some pics and post them on my archive at the weekend.

Luego Sports Cars - 13/11/04 at 10:15 AM

Now then Dan, the lack of biscuits isn't strictly true, is it. I did after much bullying go and get some rather nice choc chip cookies which we demolished in about two seconds.

XX Kaz

r3nuf - 13/11/04 at 12:41 PM

Thats not fair!

No sign of any chocolate biscuits when i have paid a visit to Luego! LMAO

Cheers

Gary

Luego Sports Cars - 13/11/04 at 02:33 PM

Look I'm really sorry to all of you who have maybe missed out on the biscuit front, but..... I do always make sure their is a never ending supply of tea and coffee and at BBQ's I make sure you all get plenty of burgers!!! please forgive me

XX Kaz

wilkingj - 13/11/04 at 03:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Luego Sports Cars
Look I'm really sorry to all of you who have maybe missed out on the biscuit front, but..... I do always make sure their is a never ending supply of tea and coffee and at BBQ's I make sure you all get plenty of burgers!!! please forgive me

XX Kaz

Ahh... I wasnt phased at all by the lack of chockie bikkies when I visited to pick up my Viento.

Us Land Rover types only have Hob Nobs... and Job times are measured by how many Hob Nobs are consumed. ie Mug of Tea and a hob nob every hour.
ie 8 hob nods = 1 Manday's of work.

Sundays sometimes require more Hob Nobs for the same time, ie a bit like Sunday Overtime is paid more!.

Sadly no Hob Nobs at Luego either

I have the brake pipes in now... and one panel!

saigonij - 14/11/04 at 09:47 AM

what did we miss. I dont know. no biscuits, and now we find out we missed out on a BBQ too! i mean, geeze, we did get the Comp kit, surely that includes a BBQ.

seriously, just pulling yea chicken leg.

Kit going well. im getting stuck in to the engine electrics side ( its Ian by the way - the one with the face that DOES NOT look like its been kicked in by a dutch women in cloggs ) and dan is doing the rear diff stuff at the mo - replacing the CV boots etc.

SO far, there has not beenone bit of the kit where we have not gone -" yea, thats pretty well done" - very impressed.

the plan today is to do some to the kit. We have to take out the drivers hub carrier and return it and get it swapped for the right sided one, and along with that, buy the Reseviour to brake M/C hose. Dan will also be buying the Exh system ( he does not know it yet ) so we can get this baby started , then we can go out for a quick spin in it - you know, sit on toolbox sort of thing while avoiding the plod.

so there you go. ill take some pics and post them in our archive too.

ian.

saigonij - 15/11/04 at 02:03 PM

all,

i have uploaded some pics, mainly to show the progress and to show the Inlet manifold... Currently its touching the chassis brace, which will be shortened and moved further back to give clearence. In InletCloseup.jpg you can also see the 2lt throttle body with the old metal intake TPS pointing up rather than down.

enjoy

Browser - 16/11/04 at 08:26 AM

Where've you uploaded them to mate, can't see 'em in your photo archive?

saigonij - 16/11/04 at 08:54 AM

in my archive, there is a folder called "Luego Velocity XT"
the pics are inside there.

Luego Sports Cars - 16/11/04 at 01:37 PM

Ok, you guys. I feel it is time for one of the main men to step in at this point!

We endeavour to please all our customers with tea, coffee and biscuits. Some of you may be the lucky ones and get Choccy biscuits. In Dan's case he bullied Kaz into getting some!

We have been brain storming at many high level meetings, and feel we have come up with a solution to this very serious situation.

The conclusion as I have said over many hours of debating is, you are all invited to have some Mince Pies at the Luego HQ on the 4th of December.

Now please let that be the end of it!

Best Regards, Grant.

wilkingj - 16/11/04 at 01:43 PM

Hob Nobs too ??

[Edited on 16/11/2004 by wilkingj]

saigonij - 16/11/04 at 07:15 PM

count us in.

be glad to come up and visit

pointy - 16/11/04 at 08:37 PM

Yep

The pointers from Dereham will be there too

and I might be able to bring the cheque book.......ssshhhhuu dont tell the wife....(bits required)

ChrisW - 16/11/04 at 08:59 PM

Can we all come Grant?

Chris

wilkingj - 16/11/04 at 10:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by pointy
Yep
and I might be able to bring the cheque book.......ssshhhhuu dont tell the wife....(bits required)

Take CASH... its not so traceable (by the Wife).
I've Diaried it, so hope to be there too..

adz h - 16/11/04 at 10:30 PM

hi got my velocity on the road on saturday. I'm also using a zetec but it's a 1.6 running webers but it's too fast anyway! Rescued attachment car 1.jpg
Rescued attachment car 1.jpg

saigonij - 17/11/04 at 08:15 AM

WOW!

how nice is that!

Browser - 17/11/04 at 09:48 AM

quote:
Ok, you guys. I feel it is time for one of the main men to step in at this point!

We endeavour to please all our customers with tea, coffee and biscuits. Some of you may be the lucky ones and get Choccy biscuits. In Dan's case he bullied Kaz into getting some!

We have been brain storming at many high level meetings, and feel we have come up with a solution to this very serious situation.

The conclusion as I have said over many hours of debating is, you are all invited to have some Mince Pies at the Luego HQ on the 4th of December.

Now please let that be the end of it!

Best Regards, Grant.

That's bloody deliberate that is! You knew I was on morning shifts that day didn't you!
What time will you be open 'till please?

Luego Sports Cars - 17/11/04 at 11:57 AM

Hi guys.

First I would like to say a big well done for the cracking looking Velocity Xt that has been born by Adz H. Congratulations.

Now down to the serious stuff, mince pies and choccy biscuits.

We will be open from 10am to 2 pm on Sat the 9th of Nov every one is welcome. Even the non-Luego owners, we are a friendly bunch and will try not to take the Mickey too much!!!!

We may be able to stretch to Hob Knobs Geoff.

Regards Grant, Matt & The Luego Team.

saigonij - 17/11/04 at 12:02 PM

man...

"We will be open from 10am to 2 pm on Sat the 9th of Nov every one is welcome."

i knew i should have put a time machine on my xmas present list... !!!

Browser - 17/11/04 at 09:30 PM

quote:
Hi guys.

First I would like to say a big well done for the cracking looking Velocity Xt that has been born by Adz H. Congratulations.

Now down to the serious stuff, mince pies and choccy biscuits.

We will be open from 10am to 2 pm on Sat the 9th of Nov every one is welcome. Even the non-Luego owners, we are a friendly bunch and will try not to take the Mickey too much!!!!

We may be able to stretch to Hob Knobs Geoff.

Regards Grant, Matt & The Luego Team.

10am 'till 2pm, it is a bloody conspiracy, my shift doesn't finish 'till 3pm!

I'm gonna go off and sulk now

tks - 3/12/04 at 01:49 PM

Well

I also didn't recieved cookies GRANT!!

Well i didn't visit because i live in spain.

Can any one give me some ground clearance numbers from te Velocity XT..

I'm building one with a VFR 800..and it has a huge air box, soow i don't know good what to do, the bonnet doesn't fit (about 3cm) and i already had the pan 3 cm down the chasis level..

Will make some pics.

Greetz,

Walter