Board logo

Alignment in West Surrey/Hants/W. Sussex area?
nstrug - 3/9/09 at 08:22 AM

Hi all -

I ned to get my front toe and camber set up. Unfortunately with the very low clearance of the Dax front cycle wings, my local garage and ATS can't do this as they have the laser alignment gear that hangs over the wheels, and there isn't enough clearance to fit it.

Does anyone know anywhere local(ish) to Godalming/Haslemere area that might have the kit to do this?

I have about 1cm clearance between the tyre and the cycle wing...

Cheers,
Nick

nick205 - 3/9/09 at 08:47 AM

Can't recomend anywere local to you.

But after setting my Indy up myself using a large set suqare, tape measure, spirit level and precise floor markings I took it to my tried and trusted tyre place (Micheldever Tyres) where I know the operators and had it checked.

It was surpisingly accurate...

Camber L = -1.47 deg
Camber R = -1.44 deg

Toe L = 0.08 deg
Toe R = 0.07 deg
(rack/wheel centred with less than 1mm difference in track rod length)

Worth investing the time at home IMHO.

Bluemoon - 3/9/09 at 09:13 AM

^^ agree with Nick, not difficult if you take you time, but you do need a flat surface to do it on... I would do as nick set it up then get it confirmed by a professional system. After that you know you can set up the car however you want...

I found the book:

Competition Car Suspension: A Practical Handbook (Hardcover)
by Allan Staniforth

Linky

Very helpful..

Cheers

Dan

nick205 - 3/9/09 at 09:19 AM

Forgot to mention - I used this book as a guide...

nstrug - 3/9/09 at 10:05 AM

Unfortunately, living in the Surrey Hills, the chance of finding a flat and level surface is remote

I already did a DIY alignment in my level(-ish) garage but wanted to get it confirmed and checked by someone with the proper kit.

I'll see if there is anyone a bit further afield...

Nick

nick205 - 3/9/09 at 10:35 AM

Probably too far away, but as above Micheldever Tyres between Basingstoke and Winchester have the right kit. I have no clearance on my front arches, but their alignment sensors hang from the rim itself rather then the tyre so it's not an issue.

The guys there are also keen petrol heads themselves and sympathetic to non-production car requirements.

Google for Micheldever Tyre and Auto Services.

iiyama - 3/9/09 at 10:48 AM

Id try Micheldever but be aware they do get VERY busy! Worth phoning to be honest.....

nick205 - 3/9/09 at 10:59 AM

quote:
Originally posted by iiyama
Id try Micheldever but be aware they do get VERY busy! Worth phoning to be honest.....

good point - I usually go v.early or v.late in the day

89mustang - 7/9/09 at 09:59 PM

Try
http://www.alignmycar.co.uk/
to find a local alignment centre.
Hope this helps

Frosty - 7/9/09 at 10:51 PM

A big thumbs-up for racecardoctor.com

Excellent service and base din Lewis, near Brighton.