Board logo

wtd A0 Plotter
dan_g8 - 13/3/11 at 12:13 AM

Not sure if this is the correct section as its not car related. anyway its a bit of a long shot but i am currently after a cheap A0 plotter, just wondering if anyone has seen one up for sale?

Dan

[Edited on 13/3/11 by dan_g8]

woolly - 13/3/11 at 12:15 AM

do you want to print, plot with a pen or cut vinyl

dan_g8 - 13/3/11 at 12:16 AM

sorry, would like to print. not vinyl or pens

[Edited on 13/3/11 by dan_g8]

woolly - 13/3/11 at 12:31 AM

several 36inch printers about unfortunatly they are normally expencive to repair and service and quite difficult to find a genuine bargin.

what do yo need to print out.

dan_g8 - 13/3/11 at 12:43 AM

i am in the process of going freelance/ setting up a CAD company hence wanting a cheap printer. i had a client who offered me some regular work but he wants paper copies as well as digital copies of the work i do. most of the work is A0 and as it would (hopefuly) be a regular thing it would be easier and probably cheaper if i could plot the plans instead of sending them out to get printed. the prints will be a mix of photos and "line" drawings.

woolly - 13/3/11 at 01:09 AM

using this one as a example
Canon Large Format Printer on eBay (end time 16-Mar-11 13:33:49 GMT)

will do what you want but limited with quality of bitmaps as its only 360dpi output pics will be a bit grainy.

this as example
Epson Stylus Pro 9500 Large Format Printer & RIP 5100 on eBay (end time 15-Mar-11 19:45:40 GMT)

is a high quality output printer i used to have one not the fastest just a good machine very reliable if well cared for.

biggest problem with these machines is they like being used not thrashed just used. and require regular work going through them. they are designed to print several big prints a day so leaving them doing nothing for days on end don't help.

might be worth asking around local sign and print places to see if you can get a deal on prints. might help you make your mind up.

Chris

balidey - 13/3/11 at 08:22 AM

My local print shop has done one off jobs for me when I need large format printing. It sounds expensive per sheet, but it saves you having to buy an expensive printer (and inks) that take up room. Maybe worth thinking about if its only occasional prints you need doing

zilspeed - 13/3/11 at 09:29 AM

We have an OCE machine on our floor and I must confess, it really is the mutt's nuts.
It spits out up to A0 in no time at all.

I wouldn't like to know what it cost, or what it costs to feed it for that matter.

When doing stuff at home, I tend to stick with lots of A3 or A4 sheets as the machines at work need a cost code for every single sheet, so unless you stick it on your mate's account, it's kinda out of bounds