Board logo

Yorkshire elbow on a fuel line ?
Macbeast - 17/9/07 at 05:45 PM

I thought something similar came up recently but damned if I can find it.

I'm using 8mm microbore for the fuel line and I want to take it through a right angle bend where it reaches the engine compartment. I can't get the bend sharp enough without it flattening the tube.

As far as I remember it was agreed that petrol would not affect solder. Would it be ok to use a Yorkshire elbow or would SVA say "not what a car manufacturer would use" ?

indykid - 17/9/07 at 05:49 PM

i used 3 to get the pipe from the tank to the filter. nothing was said at sva and nothing leaks after a year.

hth
tom

mistergrumpy - 17/9/07 at 06:11 PM

A ha great! Just solved my problem that I was going to ask too! Cheers

nitram38 - 18/9/07 at 04:57 AM

Why not use a compression elbow?
It will make life easier if you have any fuel blockages etc.

indykid - 18/9/07 at 10:50 AM

quote:
Originally posted by nitram38
Why not use a compression elbow?
It will make life easier if you have any fuel blockages etc.

valid point i suppose, but what would you have in your tank that would block 8mm pipe?!?

compression fittings were significantly more expensive in the shop i was in too
tom

PeterW - 18/9/07 at 12:17 PM

OK....

DO NOT USE A SOLDER FITTING...!!

Sorry for shouting, but there is a logical reason... If for some reason it leaks, the only way of stopping it leaking, or removing it, is by using a blowtorch... And blowtorches and petrol do not mix....

Use a compression, which will only cost a couple of quid from B&Q and it will be easier to remove etc in the future...!

I know someone who used a solder fitting and he 'scared' himself fixing it...

Cheers

Pete

JoelP - 18/9/07 at 01:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by PeterW
OK....

Sorry for shouting, but there is a logical reason... If for some reason it leaks, the only way of stopping it leaking, or removing it, is by using a blowtorch... And blowtorches and petrol do not mix....

Use a compression, which will only cost a couple of quid from B&Q and it will be easier to remove etc in the future...!

Cheers

Pete

what sort of psychopath tries to solder a fuel line after its been used!!!!!!!

Just solder it right first time

DarrenW - 18/9/07 at 01:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
quote:
Originally posted by PeterW
OK....

Cheers

Pete

what sort of psychopath tries to solder a fuel line after its been used!!!!!!!

Just solder it right first time

Im with Joel here. Should be able to test the joints by bunging one end (compression stop end?) and airline on other. Wont need high pressure. Soapy liquid should show up any leaks if you arent confident to solder. However observing cleanliness rules, good flux, decent torch and a bit extra solder should see it very well sealed first time. i just wait for the solder ring to appear out of the joint, remove heat and melt a bit extra solder into it.