Board logo

Making bends in exhaust
speedyxjs - 8/11/08 at 01:22 PM

If i were to buy a straight peice of exhaust and cut slots in to make a bend and weld them back up, would this be acceptable?
Im just thinking it would be cheaper than to buy bends sepatate.

mr henderson - 8/11/08 at 01:46 PM

You would be reducing the internal diameter of the piping, therefore restriciting the gas flow, but if that isn't a problem then why not, go for it

John

takumi - 8/11/08 at 01:47 PM

Yea , it does work, but the radius has to be quite large, as it becomes increasing impossible to fill the pleated gaps

I would buy a 3 or 4 90degree bends, and cut them up into the angles you need and butt-weld them to make up your exhaust.

Triton - 8/11/08 at 02:20 PM

If you are careful with your cutting and ensure no nasty gaps then tig weld it you will be ok... a fella who made exhausts for Jedis with CBR600 motors did it the very same way as couldn't buy or even make the tight bends needed......sure Formula farce pipes are made like that but in that "tityrainman" stuff.

speedyxjs - 8/11/08 at 02:21 PM

Ok il do that. Thanks

quote:

I would buy a 3 or 4 90degree bends, and cut them up into the angles you need and butt-weld them to make up your exhaust.

Triton - 8/11/08 at 02:22 PM

UMM i meant ...cut a series of short sections of pipe with angles that once joined form a curve....

ballcock - 9/11/08 at 12:14 PM

I always knew this as a lobster back bend cut through the pipe at an angle turn it through 180* reweld it you have a bend at twice the angle of the original cut. works well but is not very aesthetic.