Board logo

anyone have side panel dimensions?
dan_g8 - 17/5/11 at 10:03 PM

Does anyone have a set of dimensions to make the side panels or know where i get some ? i need to draw up a couple of templates for the origional locost - ron champion chassis. i have had a quick search on here but i can only find pictures of how people have done it and not actual dimensions.

Thanks

Dan

James - 17/5/11 at 11:02 PM

I dont know if this is any use is it?

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/photos.php?action=showphoto&photo=bracketjig1.jpg

I think your problem is that the shape of the panels varies quite a lot. You can get the basic dimensions (height and length and the position of the fold in the panel but there are many variables. How your nosecone is shaped will have an effect, as will the placement of wishbone brackets and steering rack.

As far as I know, most people do it with templates that they transfer to their ali sheet.

Hope that helps,
James

Confused but excited. - 17/5/11 at 11:04 PM

The book is a good place to start.

jonrotheray - 17/5/11 at 11:11 PM

Hi again Dan

The original book has a drawing for the front part - I can scan that, and there are some pretty good drawings of the chassis which might help. Sorry I didn't get back to you before!

As these are pdfs I can't put them in the aarchive but I've emailed them to you.

Jon

gavin174 - 18/5/11 at 08:45 AM

Dan

You need to be a bit careful, as unless you do your own drawing they could well be copyrighted

Cheers Gavin

dan_g8 - 18/5/11 at 12:22 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jonrotheray
Hi again Dan

The original book has a drawing for the front part - I can scan that, and there are some pretty good drawings of the chassis which might help. Sorry I didn't get back to you before!

As these are pdfs I can't put them in the aarchive but I've emailed them to you.

Jon

Thanks Jon, ill get these drawn up and let you know when they are done if you are still interested. I have had a few other people asking about these aswell.

Dan

macc man - 18/5/11 at 02:09 PM

I found the best way is to make your own template out of thin card or wallpaper. That way you can allow for all the fiddly bits up front. I made mine in two pieces for easy bending but it is possible to make in one go. once on car make sure you trial fit wishbones for clearance or you will need a good file.