Board logo

Range Rovers
jeffw - 15/5/12 at 08:39 AM

I've taken a fancy to the Range Rover recently so thought it would be best to ask the collective about the good, the bad & the financially crippling.

The car would be 2005-2007 and be either a V8 petrol with LPG or the 6 cylinder diesel (don't think I can stretch to a V8 diesel). Budget is 15-18K ish. Car will be used to tow my Phoenix on the covered trailer and commuting etc.

tegwin - 15/5/12 at 09:46 AM

I realise this does not answer your question atall.... but have you thought about something a bit different?! The VW touareg is a very nice, capable car and possibly more reliable than a rangey... The 3 litre V6 TDI engine is mighty impressive and sounds pretty good too. Should be able to get a 2005-2006 3L v6 altitude within budget. (the altitude has unbranded brembo brakes too!)

I spent every weekend for a couple of months with my old man traipsing around audi, landrover, VW, BMW etc trying all of the "comfort offroaders" and oddly the VW came out as our favourite. Its understated, very well built and drives niceley. It gets used for towing a horsebox. Power wise you wouldnt even notice its behind you!

[Edited on 15/5/12 by tegwin]

coozer - 15/5/12 at 10:20 AM

Toyota Landcruiser....

JoelP - 15/5/12 at 10:31 AM

quote:
Originally posted by tegwin
I realise this does not answer your question atall.... but have you thought about something a bit different?! The VW touareg is a very nice, capable car and possibly more reliable than a rangey... The 3 litre V6 TDI engine is mighty impressive and sounds pretty good too. Should be able to get a 2005-2006 3L v6 altitude within budget. (the altitude has unbranded brembo brakes too!)

I spent every weekend for a couple of months with my old man traipsing around audi, landrover, VW, BMW etc trying all of the "comfort offroaders" and oddly the VW came out as our favourite. Its understated, very well built and drives niceley. It gets used for towing a horsebox. Power wise you wouldnt even notice its behind you!

[Edited on 15/5/12 by tegwin]

I was googling that engine just yesterday, because i couldnt believe that one kept up with me as we passed a lorry. Must have been full throttle from 40 to 80 and i didnt gain a yard! I was in an audi a6 2.7t, which if im honest i would have expected to leave it standing. So id definately agree, a strong engine.

jeffw - 15/5/12 at 10:42 AM

I was recovered off the M11 on Sunday in my Audi A6 3.0TDi Avant (2005) which has, yet again, got water in the electronics. I was on my way to a sprint so had my trailer/Phoenix on the back.

I just fancied a change and having had 3 Audis on the trot (440BHP S4, 540BHP RS4, 300BHP A6) I thought a Rangie might be nice. I don't really want another VAG group car at the moment.

mcerd1 - 15/5/12 at 11:07 AM

my dad has a 57 plae disco 3 (2.7 v6 diesel I think)
its only got 30k on the clock and has already had 3 egr valves and an oil leak way up the back somewhere (the garage had to buy an endoscope to find it, otehrwise the body was going to have to come off )
also the stupid eletric hand brake has messed up about 5 times already and a few other anoying things as well

I assume the range rovers use mostly the same parts

AllWeatherDan - 15/5/12 at 11:24 AM

Sounds like he has been unlucky with the Disco!

Out of all these I would only be looking at the Disco.

Fantastic vehicles! Although I have to say I did go back to a D2 from a D3.
Once it was fully poly bushed etc its now amazing on and off road and towing.

Although well under your budget it could be the wildcard your looking for!

Dan

inkafone - 15/5/12 at 11:30 AM

This

tegwin - 15/5/12 at 11:40 AM

quote:
Originally posted by inkafone
This

But its hideous and has no style what so ever.

inkafone - 15/5/12 at 11:57 AM

quote:

But its hideous and has no style what so ever

True but at least it's well specced and is ideal for towing. Personally I almost hate 4x4's (early landrovers excepted),unless you live at the bottom of a muddy field they're a waste of space. Nice TVR - the 2500 is pretty rare.

coyoteboy - 15/5/12 at 12:20 PM

quote:

Really? I've never used one but heard nothing but bad tales of Discos.

britishtrident - 15/5/12 at 01:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
quote:

Really? I've never used one but heard nothing but bad tales of Discos.

Funny thing that Discos always seem to be trouble much less so with than Rangies

jeffw - 15/5/12 at 02:10 PM

So nobody then?

MK9R - 15/5/12 at 02:24 PM

How about my disco2 thats for sale????

jeffw - 15/5/12 at 03:17 PM

Thinking about something like this

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/3885465.htm

dray13dad - 15/5/12 at 05:47 PM

Jeff if you want a rr only buy new as covered by warrenty and pass it on,petrol with gas is a no no the block is to weak and they crack .end up with oil leak behind diff. Have done two now and both wanted it botched up. deisels so eat egr valves but you can by pass this on the early ones and leave engine light off,to do egr valves you need the patients of a saint or take the body off.
How about shogun 3.2 did far cheaper more room too. would go for pre 08 or late 05 for cheaper tax just look for auot box fault and back lash on pulling away.

locoboy - 15/5/12 at 06:08 PM

If the straw that broke the camels back was you being stranded with water in the electrics then keep on walking past the Range Rover dealers, try finding one of that age that has dry areas inside the rear quarter panels. That is where your sat, nav, TV module, Stereo amp is stored, when ever we break an L322 Range Rover at work the phone rings read hot for those items and as yet we have never found a sellable one as no one will touch one with the bluey powdery corrosion that is evident on the terminals - even if it is in working order.

You don't even want to know the new price of just one of these modules, second hand they will sell for 200-400 each if corrosion FREE!

Luxusy cars they certainly are but the come with a luxury price tag if out of warranty.

tul214 - 15/5/12 at 06:14 PM

This site may help if you have not yet looked....

I, or rather my misses has a Disco 3 as we have horses to pull and it has been fine. I like the FFRR but I think I would rather have a nice spec HSE Disco3 with a warranty.

Wadders - 15/5/12 at 06:17 PM

You obviously have an itch to scratch, so just go for it

Al.

doddy - 15/5/12 at 06:34 PM

one of my mates has as a landrover dealer heres hes website lots to chose from and not to far from you
http://www.icemotorco.co.uk.razsor.autotrader.co.uk/used-cars?page=2

HowardB - 15/5/12 at 07:57 PM

have you thought of a bowler? ok so not your typical rr, but then why be the same as everyone else.

Having said that a mate has the supercharged rr, it is awesome,...

Simon - 15/5/12 at 07:59 PM

I read somewhere of a conversion of a Disco 1 or 2 with a 2.7 Jag V6 turbo diesel conversion. Excellent (relatively speaking) mpg and reasonable turn of speed.

Maybe do something similar with RR Classic and have some change.

ATB

Simon

ChrisW - 15/5/12 at 08:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
I was googling that engine just yesterday, because i couldnt believe that one kept up with me as we passed a lorry. Must have been full throttle from 40 to 80 and i didnt gain a yard! I was in an audi a6 2.7t, which if im honest i would have expected to leave it standing. So id definately agree, a strong engine.

I have that 3.0 TDI engine in my A6 Quattro. It's had a remap, but no mechanical modifications. It made 277bhp and 380ft/lbs on a rolling road night, although being an auto it's very difficult to get a decent reading as it keeps trying to shift.

On the road it can certainly show a clean pair of heels to most quick stuff you encounter every day, especially off the line being 4wd. Considering it's nearly 2 tonnes and will return 42-44 mpg on a run (a little more if you really drive like a saint) I'm very impressed with it. I've upset a few kids in their hot hatches when they find out it's an automatic diesel!

Not sure what the same engine is like in the Tourag, but I'd certainly recommend my A6 to anyone. I keep thinking about changing it, but I always come back to the A6 being perfect for my needs. Pulls a trailer with ease too.

The one thing to be aware of, however, is that the 3.0 TDI is 1g over the CO2 limit for £440/year tax. If you go for the 2.7 it's only £220. Mine is a 2008, not sure if it it changes between years.

Chris

jeffw - 15/5/12 at 09:20 PM

Mine is a A6 3.0TDi Avant S-line which has been remapped (296BHP...no DPF). This is the 2nd time in 3 months the car is in the shop for water damage to the electrics which is a pretty common problem with the A6 4F apparenly.

ChrisW - 15/5/12 at 09:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jeffw
Mine is a A6 3.0TDi Avant S-line which has been remapped (296BHP...no DPF). This is the 2nd time in 3 months the car is in the shop for water damage to the electrics which is a pretty common problem with the A6 4F apparenly.

Almost the same car then. Mine is the 'Le Mans' edition, but it's basically the S-Line with bigger wheels and a load of options included as standard.

Interesting to hear you got 296bhp though as mine only made 277bhp. Is it manual or auto? Have you had it on a rolling road or is that just what the chip people claimed?

Chris

jeffw - 16/5/12 at 04:54 AM

It has been on the rollers at MRC Tuning who did the custom map. I've also had it on the rollers at Surrey Rolling Road where is made the same figures. Mihnea (the main map guy) says he can get 320-340 BHP out of these engines if they are autos but the manual (which mine is) can't cope with the increase torque on the clutch. Apparently the A4 version is the best one to go for on power. MRC did my S4 & RS4 maps/upgrades.

Mine was a custom map which I've had for 2.5 years/40000 miles. It also has had a Audi Music Interface fitted (with a 500Gb USB HD) and the bluetooth module on the MMI to replace the phone prep. It had 19" split rim wheels.

[Edited on 16/5/12 by jeffw]

mcerd1 - 16/5/12 at 08:10 AM

quote:
Originally posted by AllWeatherDan
Although I have to say I did go back to a D2 from a D3.
Once it was fully poly bushed etc its now amazing on and off road and towing.

I know more and more switching to troopers, but I suspect that could be a bit crude for jeffw...

DM - 23/5/12 at 09:45 PM

quote:
I've taken a fancy to the Range Rover

V8 petrol - go for it!

thinking of doing the same myself

nick205 - 23/5/12 at 10:04 PM

Can't see it myself. Unless you actually need serious off-road 4x4 capability an Audi quattro will tow as well if not better, be nicer to drive, cheaper to run and a better all rounder than a Range Rover or most other 4x4s.

The 4x4s I've had the (dis)pleasure of driving (Shogun, Trooper, Merc ML, Disco 2 and Defender) are all abysmal to drive anywhere other than in the woods. I haven't driven a Range Rover of any vintage, so may be wrong on that specific wallow wagon, but still can't see the attraction.

Ninehigh - 24/5/12 at 06:15 AM

quote:
Originally posted by DM
quote:

V8 petrol - go for it!

Just inherited shares in BP?

David Jenkins - 24/5/12 at 09:37 AM

quote:
Originally posted by nick205
Can't see it myself. Unless you actually need serious off-road 4x4 capability an Audi quattro will tow as well if not better, be nicer to drive, cheaper to run and a better all rounder than a Range Rover or most other 4x4s.

The 4x4s I've had the (dis)pleasure of driving (Shogun, Trooper, Merc ML, Disco 2 and Defender) are all abysmal to drive anywhere other than in the woods. I haven't driven a Range Rover of any vintage, so may be wrong on that specific wallow wagon, but still can't see the attraction.

Round my neck of the woods these vehicles have difficulty staying on their own side of the road...
...doesn't prevent them driving too fast though.

(And no, I don't hate 4x4s, except when they're driven by half-wits who don't know how wide they are so stay 1 metre away from their own side of the road. Or by mummies to take their little darlings to school. Or by drivers who insist on driving them as though they are in an ordinary saloon, instead of a glorified van).

I still remember one occasion when a range rover driver swerved to avoid a 6" deep puddle, nearly taking me off the road...

[Edited on 24/5/12 by David Jenkins]

jeffw - 24/5/12 at 09:48 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Ninehigh
quote:
Originally posted by DM
quote:

V8 petrol - go for it!

Just inherited shares in BP?

He just doesn't go very far

DM - 24/5/12 at 11:47 AM

>He just doesn't go very far
Yep. Exactly! Im fortunate enough to do so few miles I wouldn’t recoup the higher used prices of the diesels vs the petrols. Given my low mileage and preference to drive something I desire rather than something purely practical, a full-fat RR makes sense for me.

Compared to their showroom prices (which, yes, do have the comfort of a warranty!) I still see a lot value in accepting high running costs on a substantially depreciated car that is still *special* enough to make me feel good when using it. Feel good factor is of course subjective and it's an unnecessary expense, but each to their own... I did the same with a 4.2 pertol A8 and enjoyed (almost) every moment.

lsdweb - 24/5/12 at 12:46 PM

I have an S6 (2010) and it's a superb tow car although you do tend to forget you're towing!

It's reasonably quick for a 2 tonne car too :-)

I had a 3l TDi Quattro A4 a few years ago and that was excellent too. I could be tempted by a Toureg next time but really can't see what would pull me away from Audi.

W

nick205 - 25/5/12 at 03:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by lsdweb
I have an S6 (2010) and it's a superb tow car although you do tend to forget you're towing!

It's reasonably quick for a 2 tonne car too :-)

I had a 3l TDi Quattro A4 a few years ago and that was excellent too. I could be tempted by a Toureg next time but really can't see what would pull me away from Audi.

W

Exactly my point and when you're not towing you're driving a normal, comfortable, road car, not a wallow wagon.

perksy - 25/5/12 at 05:19 PM

Had a go in this thing a few weeks back
90k when new, fully spec'd and even had a heated steering wheel
I couldn't get over how well it went and handled for such a big car (V6 Turbo Diesel)

If i could afford to run one, i'd have one in a heart beat

Really impressed by it