Board logo

bike test
matt_baxter - 16/1/09 at 11:51 AM

hey does any one on here know when the new bike test is going to come in, I did hear that it would be march, but then last tme they tried to bring it in only 6 test centres could carry out the test, does any know if it will be posponed again or if they have enough test centres now.

Thanks
Matt

Mr Whippy - 16/1/09 at 11:59 AM

I thought it was last september!

A1 - 16/1/09 at 12:14 PM

theres a new bike test coming??whats the difference?

dinosaurjuice - 16/1/09 at 12:19 PM

i think its march. it was supposed to be september but was delayed by 6 months IIRC.

the new one includes filtering through traffic and generally more real-world bike riding.

will

prawnabie - 16/1/09 at 12:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by A1
theres a new bike test coming??whats the difference?

You need reverse gear now lmao!

tomgregory2000 - 16/1/09 at 01:07 PM

and the price is going up

vinny1275 - 16/1/09 at 01:23 PM

I was looking at bike training sites the other day, and the consensus among them was the end of April the year...

Differences are some low-sped manoeuvres (parking in a cone garage iirc, and some new emergency stop and obstacle avoidence tests)

HTH

Vince

Mr Whippy - 16/1/09 at 01:25 PM

quote:
Following a recent meeting between the Minister Jim Fitzpatrick, DSA officials and motorcycle interest groups, DSA has announced that the introduction of the new motorcycle test will be deferred by six months to Monday 30 March 2009. This deferment will allow DSA to deliver a wider range of locations to offer the new test

tbh the new practical test course looks a doddle to anyone with just a few months playing about on their bike and besides you still get on the road with the usual CBT so what all the panic is about I don't know. So what if you have to push your bike backwards, god if you can't manage that without falling off, don't use a bike please!

R1 STRIKER - 16/1/09 at 01:34 PM

Have lost track of bike tests in recent years. Have always been keen to get my license but never got round to it. So whats the deal these days if i wanted to get license now. I'm 29 so what size bike would i need to learn on etc. Closest i've got is the R1 engine in my old striker. Have got to sell my caterham academy car now but really starting to fancy a bmw 1200gs for a bit of touring with other half.

idl1975 - 16/1/09 at 02:01 PM

Pretty much explained here:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/LearnerAndNewDrivers/RidingMotorcyclesAndMopeds/DG_4022568

You would do a direct access course - CBT on the usual 125cc tiddler, and then your on-road training (and test) on a bike making at least 35kw. Typically things like ER-5s, ER-6s, CB500s, GS500s. Cheap and cheerful, but a lot more fun than a 125 and still pretty quick.

Lots of places do an all-in-one packages where you do your CBT and then the rest shortly thereafter.

I thought the rules were going to change in October (now April) to restrict what even DA test takers could ride, but this seems not to have happened. They've just added a few bits to the test.

GSs are very nice, but I'd go for the 1200 RT - amazing engine (not slow in any way...), 50mpg, tons of storage space and more weather protection . And it actually goes round corners! Unless you're buying one GS each, the wife will appreciate the comfy seat and wind protection.

quote:
Originally posted by R1 STRIKER
Have lost track of bike tests in recent years. Have always been keen to get my license but never got round to it. So whats the deal these days if i wanted to get license now. I'm 29 so what size bike would i need to learn on etc. Closest i've got is the R1 engine in my old striker. Have got to sell my caterham academy car now but really starting to fancy a bmw 1200gs for a bit of touring with other half.

Peteff - 16/1/09 at 02:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by R1 STRIKER
Have got to sell my caterham academy car now but really starting to fancy a bmw 1200gs for a bit of touring with other half.

Don't do it man, watch this and think long and hard about it. The new centres were supposed to do most of the test on site but it's taken more organising than originally foreseen, strange as they usually get everything right first time