Board logo

Budget Con?
coozer - 21/3/12 at 03:05 PM

Why is it things we poor people like get hammered straightaway.. like 37p on fags (I dont smoke by the way) but the personal allowence takes over a year to come into affect?

Road tax going up about £6, and fuel duty by 3p, they just dont listen, or care about us IMO...

Wish I'd done one somewhere else while I could have..

blakep82 - 21/3/12 at 03:21 PM

think its because the country is in dept due to labour spending money they didn't have and giving away our gold reserves, meaning money has to be raised somewhere.

interesting though, as they've reduced the highest rate of tax (50% is a huge amount!) and increased the income tax allowance (when it finally comes in), so it kinda balances out I think? not sure really

unfortunately though, if they reduced all taxes (as we'd all love that) the country will be completely f****d
i think the only one i'm not impressed by is fuel duty going up, where it really needs to be cut. a lot. if they did that, more people would buy petrol and the tax income will probably be same.
all imo obviously

[Edited on 21/3/12 by blakep82]

morcus - 21/3/12 at 03:48 PM

I try to ignor it. Theres nothing you can do about it, absolutly nothing so you might aswell just accept it and not think about it.

#what we really need is major reform of everything but our political system is designed to prevent large changes from happening so we're stuck with a system that generates it's funds in ways that are wrong and distributes them badly.

femster87 - 21/3/12 at 04:03 PM

Yeap thats true about the debt. But a reasonable economist would soon work out that there is limit you can get to before people cut back completely and no income is generated. When the cost of living exceeds the income alot of people would stop things like commuting, cigarette and booze reducing the revenues significantly. Which results in increasing unemployment and mediocre productivity from the country. Its only gonna go around in a cause and effect cycle until we all agree reasonable changes over a long period of time till things get better.

The savings have to be made but it has to well planned and staged. All this compounding increases at the same time with no rise in wages is a recipe for disaster. All in my opinion of course

[Edited on 21/3/12 by femster87]

amalyos - 21/3/12 at 04:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
think its because the country is in dept due to labour spending money they didn't have and giving away our gold reserves, meaning money has to be raised somewhere.
]

If Maggie hadn't demolished our Manufacturing base, we may have been able to export something to bring money into the country.

There all as bad as one another, bit like football managers, everyone loves them when they're winning, but wants them out when they're not.

There's no magic formula, just be glad were not in Greece's position.........yet!!!

Agriv8 - 21/3/12 at 04:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by coozer
Why is it things we poor people like get hammered straightaway.. like 37p on fags (I dont smoke by the way) but the personal allowence takes over a year to come into affect?

Road tax going up about £6, and fuel duty by 3p, they just dont listen, or care about us IMO...

Wish I'd done one somewhere else while I could have..

Unless you are a city banker who has taken the risks ( and got his bonuses from hitting theses targets) Then binned their toxic debt on to all of us and back at his desk making the big bonuses again . Then your are a winner.

Just bend down and drop your trousers if you are not!!

Regards

Agriv8

blakep82 - 21/3/12 at 04:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by amalyos
quote:
]

If Maggie hadn't demolished our Manufacturing base, we may have been able to export something to bring money into the country.

There all as bad as one another, bit like football managers, everyone loves them when they're winning, but wants them out when they're not.

There's no magic formula, just be glad were not in Greece's position.........yet!!!

i agree they're all as bad as each other, but speaking to an old man in the pub the other week, he used to work in the ship yards on the clyde, when there was hundreds of them, it wasn't maggie that demolished manufacturing, but the yard owners selling their knowledge to the east to get parts done cheaper, eventually they learned too much and started doing the whole ships cheaper. thats only the words of 1 man, in one industry, in one area, so can't say if its the same for everywhere else.

but yeah, all as bad as the other, one lot throws money away, almost bankrupts the counrty, the other lot tighten everything up, stick taxes through the roof, and we're still screwed

woodster - 21/3/12 at 04:14 PM

its simple rich people get richer, poor people get poorer and they don't care about the normal working man he just pays for everything with his tax, if i'm lucky enough to do some overtime i get battered for tax

chris mason - 21/3/12 at 04:28 PM

Not sure i agree with it being a con!

The income tax threshold is due to rise on the 6th of April 2012 to £8105 then in April 2013 to £9205
Don't see a problem with that, Within the next 13 months everyone who works will pay no tax on the extra £1730 not bad at all

I don't like paying tax of any kind no more than the next guy, but it's how the country survives.

bj928 - 21/3/12 at 04:29 PM

i should be going off back to america again in a few weeks, till the end of the year so it doesn't affect me at all, i would hate to work in the uk again, and have to support myself with a normal job, and a normal wage, i'm a truck driver on both sides of the pond, and at the moment its a no brainer to work stateside, i can save money over there (from $0 to $10,000 in 3 months last year in the bank), or be on the breadline over here, anyone wants a job i can put a word in

also, i legally don't pay income tax in either country

[Edited on 21/3/12 by bj928]

D Beddows - 21/3/12 at 04:37 PM

It's pretty much reached the stage in our household where all the money we have coming in every month is spoken for in essentials so however much the government put up taxes it wont get any more money out of us because we will just be buying less of everything (and it is depressingly beginning to be a LOT less of everything )

I'm sure we're far from alone and I really don't see how people buying less but paying more for it (purely because of tax) helps the economy...........the government yes, but the economy?

[Edited on 21/3/12 by D Beddows]

vanepico - 21/3/12 at 05:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by chris mason
Not sure i agree with it being a con!

The income tax threshold is due to rise on the 6th of April 2012 to £8105 then in April 2013 to £9205
Don't see a problem with that, Within the next 13 months everyone who works will pay no tax on the extra £1730 not bad at all

I don't like paying tax of any kind no more than the next guy, but it's how the country survives.

Result! I'm starting a placement in July, that means I'll pay a lot less tax than I thought I would! Also means I may be able to afford some more stuff for my car (if I can ever get around to making it :p)

Imo the country was a lot better back then than it is now, my mum's first insurance was £30 compared to my £1500+ quotes, music was a lot better, heck even the cars looked nicer! And it was cheaper to make a car :p

Maybe, like all the polish people coming over here for work, we'll have to go to America to work!

Also how do i go about starting a swiss bank account?

[Edited on 21/3/12 by vanepico]

dlatch - 21/3/12 at 05:51 PM

quote:

what exactly did labour do with the 13 years they had in power to bring back manufacturing to the uk?

oh yeah feck all

hughpinder - 21/3/12 at 05:58 PM

I'm glad to see the lower income tax threshold will go up - that helps everyone, especially the poorest workers - it always seemed ludicrous to me that if you work for 'minimum wage' you still end up getting taxed, and that will be a major step towards stopping that. It also means less admin as a large number of people go to where theres no tax to pay.
Scrapping the 50% band also seems a good idea though! I was just looking at an article on the gaurdian web site - it seems only 1% of people earn enough to pay that level anyway (about 300,000) - although is does point out that those people actually pay something like 27% of all income tax, which I never realised. I do think high rates like that encourage the very rich to go offshore - look at people like Richard Branson - earns hundreds of millions of pounds but is based offshore for tax reasons.
Oh well - I can't actually come up with something that everyone thinks is fair, even among the few in my office, where we all have about the same income!
Hugh

vanepico - 21/3/12 at 06:16 PM

If you're working full time (40 hour week 48 weeks) for minimum wage you'll still pay tax So how much % do you pay on anything over the £8000?

Paul_C - 21/3/12 at 06:26 PM

The manufacturing base has shrunk due to many factors. The level of management incompetence and worker stupidity has had me shouting before now.
It wasn't great when I was looking for a job back in 1978 under Labour.
If my memory is correct Maggie encouraged Nissan and Honda and I guess Toyota. and also supported Rover which folded under Labour. That doesn't mean I support the Conservatives but the spin that Maggie demolished our manufacturing base isn't the full story. Nationalising Industries was a guaranteed route to failure.
It's sobering to remember that during only part of the Conservatives time in office the deficit wasn't increasing. I think that the reality is worse now. I suspect it's terminal.

Ninehigh - 21/3/12 at 06:35 PM

quote:
i think the only one i'm not impressed by is fuel duty going up, where it really needs to be cut. a lot. if they did that, more people would buy petrol and the tax income will probably be same.
all imo obviously

Oddly enough not only your opinion. In fact I think the only people who don't share this opinion don't realise that their Kestrel Super Strength gets to Asda on a wagon that uses fuel, the stupid and the politicians

JonnyS - 21/3/12 at 07:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by bj928

As a chartered accountant, I can confirm that isn't possible. Whoever has given you that advice is incorrect and you need to get proper advice now.

JoelP - 21/3/12 at 07:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Ninehigh
quote:
all imo obviously

Oddly enough not only your opinion. In fact I think the only people who don't share this opinion don't realise that their Kestrel Super Strength gets to Asda on a wagon that uses fuel, the stupid and the politicians

More people buying petrol with no increase in tax revenue isnt a benefit! Fact is we need weaning off fossil fuels. Fuel duty is just like subsidising other power sources. IMHO, road tax should be ditched and the revenue bumped back on as duty.

bj928 - 21/3/12 at 08:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by JonnyS
quote:

As a chartered accountant, I can confirm that isn't possible. Whoever has given you that advice is incorrect and you need to get proper advice now.

i have spoken to an accountant and i am in a loophole, i'm sure it will be closed soon though

bobinspain - 21/3/12 at 09:42 PM

It's a sobering thought, but the Nation's on-balance-sheet debt is running at just over £1 trillion and rising. (£1,000,000,000,000).
That equates to around £30,000 per household. It's costing around £48bn a year just to service the debt.

If you think that's bad, then consider that off-balance sheet liabilities, (PFI, state pensions and the like) accounts for a further similar figure.

Whoever's in charge hasn't a snowflake in Hell's chance of recovering the situation. All we can do is wait until the effluent in which we're standing reaches our necks and hope someone comes up with a cunning plan before it gets any higher.

It really is the old maxim, "When you're up to your ass in aligators, it's very difficult to remind yourself that your primary objective was to have drained the swamp."

JonnyS - 21/3/12 at 10:07 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by JonnyS
quote:

i have spoken to an accountant and i am in a loophole, i'm sure it will be closed soon though

Make sure they are qualified and that you have that in writing. If the taxman comes and takes his tax, you can sue the accountant.

David Jenkins - 21/3/12 at 10:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by hughpinder
Scrapping the 50% band also seems a good idea though! I was just looking at an article on the gaurdian web site - it seems only 1% of people earn enough to pay that level anyway (about 300,000) - although is does point out that those people actually pay something like 27% of all income tax, which I never realised.

That 50% tax is generally regarded as a booby-trap left by the Labour government - they knew they weren't going to win the election, they probably knew that the 50% tax wouldn't raise any useful income, but more than anything else they knew it would be a major embarrassment to the incoming government.

Ninehigh - 22/3/12 at 07:22 AM

Odd how dropping that 50p tax to 45p means that the few people that are in that bracket are now better off to the tune of MORE THAN MY HOUSEHOLD INCOME

Oh yeah that includes the £200 ish that I'm supposed to be better o.. no cos fuel's still going up...

scootz - 22/3/12 at 08:19 AM

It's really sh*t isn't it... !!!

I mean look at all the starving people in the UK. All those forced to live a homeless existence.

No one looks after our medical or social needs.

No one can afford to run a car, or have satellite TV, or can afford copious amounts of alcohol, tobacco and fast food.

It just sucks when you really think about it!

Benzine - 22/3/12 at 08:47 AM

quote:
Originally posted by scootz
It's really sh*t isn't it... !!!

I mean look at all the starving people in the UK. All those forced to live a homeless existence.

No one looks after our medical or social needs.

No one can afford to run a car, or have satellite TV, or can afford copious amounts of alcohol, tobacco and fast food.

It just sucks when you really think about it!

scootz - 22/3/12 at 08:50 AM

T66 - 22/3/12 at 09:45 AM

As previously stated, nothing can be done about this.

I do feel sorry for families struggling with day to day living, I've been there and it's hard.

The key to this is stop watching the news, especially the bbc , and fill your day full of laughs.

All politicians are interested in, is themselves, they all lie, and are not interested in me or you.

No integrity egotistical turds.

D Beddows - 22/3/12 at 10:11 AM

quote:

Originally posted by scootz It's really sh*t isn't it... !!! I mean look at all the starving people in the UK. All those forced to live a homeless existence. No one looks after our medical or social needs. No one can afford to run a car, or have satellite TV, or can afford copious amounts of alcohol, tobacco and fast food. It just sucks when you really think about it!

With respect Scootz coming from a man who can afford (whatever the circumstances) to buy the thing you do on a whim that's a little insensitive don't you think!?......... yeah there's obviously always someone worse off than you and I realise you're probably referring the the Jeremy Kyle nation but after a year or two of going to work 40 hours a week and having little to no money spare to have 'fun' with it does start to really p*ss you off.........

Steve Hignett - 22/3/12 at 11:26 AM

I'm pretty sure that most people on here can defend themselves...
However, with regard to Scootz, he's not someone that's especially frivolous with his money - it's actually that he just makes some poor decisions and then changes his mind often.
As for the amount of money "one" spends, that's all relative too. ie. what a person's expenditure is for eg mortgage payments still being paid or now mortgage free etc.
Travelling money ie, still in work and travelling everyday all over the place.
Drinking and smoking etc. I think the only thing he does that's naughty nowadays is have the odd chockie biccy too many!
And whether you spend money doing things - extra curricular hobby's that cost lots of money...

Back to Basic's, I believe Scootz's disability (or I should say, lack of ability!), means that he has been retired from a hard working job and now has to occupy his time.

This has nothing to do with his well meaning feelings towadrds the rest of the nation...

scootz - 22/3/12 at 11:42 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Steve Hignett
Back to Basic's, I believe Scootz's disability (or I should say, lack of ability!), means that he has been retired from a hard working job and now has to occupy his time.

I nearly just choked on a mouthful of coffee from laughing hard!

scootz - 22/3/12 at 11:52 AM

quote:
Originally posted by D Beddows
With respect Scootz coming from a man who can afford (whatever the circumstances) to buy the thing you do on a whim that's a little insensitive don't you think!?......... yeah there's obviously always someone worse off than you and I realise you're probably referring the the Jeremy Kyle nation but after a year or two of going to work 40 hours a week and having little to no money spare to have 'fun' with it does start to really p*ss you off.........

Trust me... you know absolutely nothing about where I've come from, where I'm at and where I'm going! Nor what I can or cannot afford. Wasting money on car parts is an unfortunate by-product of a health issue (I'll explain why via U2U if anyone feels particularly nosey!). The fact that I've not been bankrupted by this behaviour is down to choices that I've made in my life... not to have kids, not to drink, not to smoke, not to wear fancy gear, not to go out clubbing, etc. etc. In essence I live a very boring life (in some peoples eyes) and as sad as it may seem, fannying about with car parts is my only extravagance.

Sure, I've had it comfy for most parts of my life and I've had plenty of good luck, but I know hardship as there's also been some incredibly hard times to endure. I've gone to bed painfully hungry and painfully cold. But you know what... I'm still here! I never starved and I never froze. Conscientious parents aided by 'the system' never let that happen to me... and as I understand it, that 'system' will still provide the necessary support if someone - ANYONE - really needs it!

Many have come to expect everything for little (or nothing in some cases) in this country and it bugs me!

I hear the same moaning at EVERY single budget, but I've yet to see the sky dishes coming off the side off houses, the cars being removed from driveways, the alcohol, tobacco and fast food junk staying on the shelves, the pubs being empty, the designer clothes remaining on hangers, etc. etc.

By all means keep some pressure on the Govt to get a fair deal for you and yours, but FFS I wish some would quit the constant whining about being 'hard-done' to when the reality is that we generally lead a fairly comfortable existence in this country!

The ONLY aim in many other parts of the world for humans is to survive... and that's it... nothing else matters!

Now if anyone still feels like venting their spleen, then go and tell the parents of a starving child in a Third World area how tough it's going to become for you and yours due to our recent budget changes! I'd be interested to hear their reply...

[Edited on 22/3/12 by scootz]

sdh2903 - 22/3/12 at 11:54 AM

There is a calculator on the BBC website when you put all you're details in it will give you a figure of gain or loss. Surprisingly I'm going to be 300 a year better off. However I don't smoke and only drink occasionally.

Put your numbers in and see what it comes up with

bobinspain - 22/3/12 at 11:56 AM

Thank heavens Scott!
With the hand-wringing solemnity of the reply-posts to your original, for a moment there I was doubting your irony, (silly me!)

Onwards and sideways!

Bob.

daviep - 22/3/12 at 11:59 AM

quote:
Originally posted by D Beddows
quote:

Originally posted by scootz It's really sh*t isn't it... !!! I mean look at all the starving people in the UK. All those forced to live a homeless existence. No one looks after our medical or social needs. No one can afford to run a car, or have satellite TV, or can afford copious amounts of alcohol, tobacco and fast food. It just sucks when you really think about it!

TBH I agree with scootz.

If everybody would stop moaning and actually do something to try and improve their situation then things would improve for the whole nation.

The answer to the problem is very simple if analyzed using "davies logic"

PROBLEM1 - Do not earn enough to support desired standard of living
SOLUTION - Get a job which pays more
PROBLEM 2 - No jobs locally which meet criteria
SOLUTION - Look further afield (abroad if required)
PROBLEM 3 - Don't want to move or have to work away from home
SOLUTION - Stop moaning and reduce your expectations.

Three problems three solutions in less time than it takes to boil the kettle

Cheers
Davie

scootz - 22/3/12 at 12:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by daviep
The answer to the problem is very simple if analyzed using "davies logic"

PROBLEM1 - Do not earn enough to support desired standard of living
SOLUTION - Get a job which pays more
PROBLEM 2 - No jobs locally which meet criteria
SOLUTION - Look further afield (abroad if required)
PROBLEM 3 - Don't want to move or have to work away from home
SOLUTION - Stop moaning and reduce your expectations.

Three problems three solutions in less time than it takes to boil the kettle

Cheers
Davie

A = Accuracy
B = Brevity
C = Clarity

It's all that's required (and something I'm often incapable of ).

Ninehigh - 22/3/12 at 12:38 PM

I'd love to look for a job overseas... But my Visa is the "debit" type and not the "work abroad" type

D Beddows - 22/3/12 at 12:38 PM

Lol obviously just me then! - and I'm looking at life in far too selfish/simplistic a fashion

And Scootz - I am aware of your circumstances and a fairish amount of your history which is why I put in '(whatever the circumstances)' and whatever I wrote certainly wasn't an attack on your lifestyle if that's how it came across!

scootz - 22/3/12 at 12:45 PM

Absolutely no offence taken.

vanepico - 22/3/12 at 01:01 PM

Just seen how much I'd be spending on accommodation

The pennies I get from student finance won't even cover it.

scudderfish - 22/3/12 at 01:02 PM

daviep for PM! Scootz for Chancellor!

scootz - 22/3/12 at 01:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by vanepico

If you really want to study, then you'll find a way to work it in with one or more part-time jobs.

vanepico - 22/3/12 at 01:17 PM

This is during my minimum wage placement year, theres just more and more hidden fees I have to pay, I'd rather sleep in a car than pay 90 per week for a room!

90*52 = ~£4500!!!

[Edited on 22/3/12 by vanepico]

Ninehigh - 22/3/12 at 01:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by scootz
quote:

If you really want to study, then you'll find a way to work it in with one or more part-time jobs.

Oh you might want to be guaranteed a job first... I risked everything to become a qualified mechanic last year.. Now I don't even bother looking for work in the field because I have no idea what I learned I've had that much practice

scootz - 22/3/12 at 01:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Ninehigh
Oh you might want to be guaranteed a job first...

Never going to happen. Far too many graduates and not enough positions in their area of learning.

Ninehigh - 22/3/12 at 01:51 PM

True that's part of why I said it... Even before "all the financial problems" started the local college was teaching 40 students in beauty and similar stuff with 25 jobs for them to go into

vanepico - 22/3/12 at 06:05 PM

I would've thought there would be more call for engineers, but at my college there were more people doing beauty courses than any other. There can't be that many jobs for beauty people!

alistairolsen - 22/3/12 at 09:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by scudderfish
daviep for PM! Scootz for Chancellor!

Even with his somewhat impulsive tendencies, he'd still be an improvement on the one eyed idiot!

SeanStone - 22/3/12 at 10:20 PM

try and do a course conversion in and oil and gas discipline, or mechanical engineering then get into oil and gas. there is a massive deficiency, especially in subsea

coozer - 22/3/12 at 11:50 PM

quote:
I would've thought there would be more call for engineers, but at my college there were more people doing beauty courses than any other. There can't be that many jobs for beauty people!

I'm an engineer of sorts, automotive engineer by vocation. Got made redundant 3 years ago and all I get offered is to go work for that damn awful place they call Nissan.. wish there was somewhere else near me.. I do miss the Mondeo and working for Ford...

vanepico - 23/3/12 at 07:59 AM

Were you assembly or design?

I always thought of automotive as kinda dull, so I tried to get into an aerospace related work placement, didn't work out that way though! I'm now working at a place that makes aircraft evacuation trainers and stuff :s