Board logo

Next project?
scoobyis2cool - 24/11/04 at 12:09 AM

OK, I finished my Indy a few weeks ago and due to the fact that I can't drive it (what with being 120 miles away at uni .), I've decided to start looking into a possible second project.

I'd like to learn to weld so was thinking about getting an old donor, ripping the running gear out and designing some sort of chassis around it. This is more a fun project than anything else so I'm not bothered about it being "practical". Hell, I'm not even that bothered about it being "good", I just want something that will help me develop my skills and give me a giggle along the way. I'm thinking along the lines of Scrapheap Challenge and the like. Oh, and it has to be CHEAP, student debts and all that

So.... suggestions anyone? I'll consider absolutely ANYTHING, no matter how stupid it sounds. The best idea gets a gold star, and I may even try to build it one day...

Pete

[Edited on 24/11/04 by scoobyis2cool]

white130d - 24/11/04 at 01:23 AM

Build something centered around a mini engine/gearbox in the rear with independent on all 4 corners and lots of wheel travel for off road fun, kinda like a big quad bike.....

David.

Chris Green - 24/11/04 at 07:51 AM

something mid engined, kind of like that mojo thing could be cheap.

there are some chassis pics on the Sylva site, you could get some idea's from that and design your own.

The rear engine and running gear is taken from a CVH mk3 Fiesta. You can probably get one of these for free!

Bodywork could be expensive, but it depends if you want to learn how to make it yourself!

Just an idea.

Regards,

Chris.

Rob Lane - 24/11/04 at 08:13 AM

Chris,

so it's you she left and headed for Rorty !

What's he got you haven't ?

DarrenW - 24/11/04 at 11:13 AM

Ive turned a 2CV into a 2 sailed 4 seater land yacht before - allbeit as part of the driller thriller team on Scrapheap (1999). Didnt work though!

Off road buggy gets my vote, im sure there are some plans on the net somewhere.

Darren.

skinny - 24/11/04 at 11:38 AM

get a decent powertrain and make a nice spaceframe chassis for a lancia 037 replica

[Edited on 24/11/04 by skinny]

scoobyis2cool - 24/11/04 at 01:07 PM

The offroad buggy sounds good but I don't know if I'd get a chance to use it anywhere - not sure about the law regarding driving those sorts of things in public, but there are always police patrolling round my local park

Maybe something road legal would be a better option, give me more of a chance to take it out?

Mid-engined car is a definite possiblity so that's one to think about...

Lancia would be awesome but a little out of my grasp when it comes to talent at the moment! I've never welded anything in my life!

Pete

[Edited on 24/11/04 by scoobyis2cool]

Cita - 24/11/04 at 06:52 PM

This will certainly be the smallest sportscar built ever.Dont know if it would be fun to drive though

scoobyis2cool - 24/11/04 at 08:19 PM

Yeah that certainly is small. With such detailed plans it looks simple to build as well!

Pete

Cita - 25/11/04 at 11:37 AM

Sorry i didn't know you were after some free detailed construction drawings

Terrapin_racing - 25/11/04 at 12:42 PM

Got to be a Terrapin racer next!

scoobyis2cool - 25/11/04 at 03:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Cita
Sorry i didn't know you were after some free detailed construction drawings

Hehe don't worry about it, I'm sure I could flesh it out a bit! An engine might be a good starting point...

Pete

[Edited on 25/11/04 by scoobyis2cool]

MikeRJ - 25/11/04 at 04:14 PM

Citreon AX (or other small cheap FWD hatch), rip out engine, rear seats and rear/boot floor pan. Construct subframe to hold Audi 5 cylinder 2.3 20v (or V6 if feeling brave) engine/transaxle/running gear and mount in rear. The audi engine runs inline rather than transverse so will shift some weight towards the now very light front. I'd recommend a roll cage.

Rorty - 26/11/04 at 04:45 AM

quote:
Originally posted by DarrenW
Off road buggy gets my vote, im sure there are some plans on the net somewhere.

Blatant plug: Buggy Plans.