Board logo

Any one changed a toilet?
Danozeman - 18/11/05 at 03:10 PM

well as above? Has anyone changed one? are they easy?

scotty g - 18/11/05 at 03:11 PM

Absolute doddle mate, if you can build a car this is a walk in the park.

need4speed - 18/11/05 at 03:20 PM

Agree even done the complete bathroom but haven't built a car yet.

donut - 18/11/05 at 03:22 PM

Some people say my car IS a toilet!

skydivepaul - 18/11/05 at 03:50 PM

Piece of piss!!!

Hellfire - 18/11/05 at 04:02 PM

Changed the bog and refitted my bathroom whilst building the car took me a couple of days to replumb, cross-bond and check. Installed electric shower twin extraction fans (one triggered from proximity sensor) and ceiling lights in halogen.

Still not finished the decoration of it though

jestre - 18/11/05 at 04:06 PM

2 bolts, 2 nuts, and a wax ring is all it takes.

Scotty - 18/11/05 at 04:08 PM

nuts and bolts i can inderstand
but a waxed ring !!!!!!

jonbeedle - 18/11/05 at 04:46 PM

Easy peasy. I fit bathrooms as a sideline!
Turn off water supply to cistern, flush toilet to remove as much water as possible, disconnect overflow pipe and water feed, remove cistern, if it's close coupled, it will be held on to the bowl by a couple of wing nuts and also screwed to the wall. Keep it upright so as not to spill any water that's left in it and empty it, I chuck it down the bath plug hole.
The bog bowl is normally screwed to the floor. When unscrewed it should just pull away from the soil pipe. Keep it level because there'll be some water in the 'U' bend.
It's a good idea to clean and bleach the bog before you start in case you spill any water when taking it out.
If you need any help give me a call, 01842 860668 or 07916351303.
Good luck.
Jon

JoelP - 18/11/05 at 06:51 PM

not always as simple as it looks though, some old houses have lead soil pipes, which arent a straight fit with modern fittings. You would need an adapter i think.

RoadkillUK - 18/11/05 at 07:12 PM

I replaced the Loo, sink and fitted a bath. Removed a wall, build one, plastered the other 3, fitted the ceiling, fitted spotlights, replaced the whole of the waste pipe from the roof to the ground (suprised how clean it was and how heavy it was).

Basically, if I can do it, you can

Reminds me, I'll have to sort out the bathroom floor

I know this may seem like I'm blowing my own trumpet but I'm proud of my bathroom, not bad for a first effort

rusty nuts - 18/11/05 at 08:12 PM

The hardest part when I did mine was removing the screws holding the pan to the floor . Mind you its a crap job.

steve_gus - 18/11/05 at 08:38 PM

did all three of mine. The downstairs one was the biggest hassle as it wasnt screwed but CEMENTED to the floor!

the biggest hassle was getting the close coupled cistern not to leak water.

try and get the new loo ready to swap over as soon as you take the old one off, and put water in it - will stop manky stench coming up!

atb

steve

JoelP - 18/11/05 at 08:41 PM

i installed a new toilet a year ago for a tenant, and the flusher flaps broke last month! In future id consider putting solider ones in, the thin plastic flaps are well shite

steve_gus - 18/11/05 at 08:48 PM

yeah - in one of mine it was a really flimsy bit of sheet plastic that was like the stuff you get easter eggs in!

I also cant believe how poor quality float valves are nowadays.... the plastic pivot looks like its waiting to fall out!

atb

steve

Danozeman - 18/11/05 at 10:23 PM

Thanks chaps. Just waiting for the wife to decide what bog and sink she wants. It looks fairly easy.

Danozeman - 19/11/05 at 09:23 AM

Another quick question. Are the mountings for the cistern to the pan on close coupled the same? Ie can i fit a different cistern to a pan?

Ferg - 19/11/05 at 12:52 PM

Almost always, but not 100%. The bolts generally slide on UK manufactured cisterns, but tend to go through holes in the base of the cistern if from Turkey, Greece, Belgium etc
You get what you pay for. Beware form over function by the way, just 'cos it costs a lot doesn't mean it's any good. And even if it looks good it may well be twisted, porous or suffer from oval outlet which will make you swear when the pan connector doesn't seal.

steve_gus - 19/11/05 at 12:55 PM

the two i fitted looked slightly different, but perhaps I was unlucky!. The way the cistern is bolted on was crap in both cases. Long bolts go thro base of cistern to bowl, are underwater, and have crappy washers that stop the water falling out.

Make sure that you fit and locate the sealing ring (usually a foam donut) over the spigot that goes into the pan. If you dont fit it properly or omit it (yep, i did first time as it wasnt in the kit) when you fflush, the pressure blasts most of the flush water out of the cistern to pan joint!

atb

steve

MikeRJ - 20/11/05 at 03:24 PM

quote:
Originally posted by steve_gus
yeah - in one of mine it was a really flimsy bit of sheet plastic that was like the stuff you get easter eggs in!

Yep, mine stopped working earlier this year and the crappy plastic flap had ripped. In true locost style I made a replacement out of a bit of heavy duty pond liner, which was much tougher and will probably outlast our current bathroom suite.