Board logo

That'll be the Daewoo
iank - 29/11/05 at 12:16 PM

Saw this 'new' Daewoo model in Seoul airport.
Wonder if it will make it over this side of the pond (with free servicing obviously ).

More images in my photo archive.

To be fairthey acknowledge Lotus as the original developer.

flak monkey - 29/11/05 at 12:20 PM

And it looks exactly like a VX220....

It will just be another re-bodied, re-engined Elise at a guess.

David

jestre - 29/11/05 at 12:26 PM

decent looking daewoo....I could handle one.

iank - 29/11/05 at 12:42 PM

It's a 2.0L Turbo (according to the little data board they had in front of the turntable), and I'm also sure it's a vx220/Elise.

No idea if they are going to start selling them, they didn't have any brochures - they had loads for the other models on the display.

Interestingly even in Korea they now call the company "GM Daewoo".

Mark Allanson - 29/11/05 at 12:48 PM

"Interestingly even in Korea they now call the company "GM Daewoo"."

..and over here it is now Chevrolet

Chevrolet Matiz does have an odd ring to it!

greggors84 - 29/11/05 at 02:58 PM

I wonder if they bring it over here and re badge it as a chevy they will stick a big block v8 in it??

Daewoo have been remanufacturing old Vauxhalls for years at least this time its a decent car not an old Astra!

steve_gus - 29/11/05 at 11:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by iank

Interestingly even in Korea they now call the company "GM Daewoo".

That would be a mistake. They need the illusion of it being Korean.

a year ago I spent a week being driven all over South Korea on a sales trip. Many 100s of motorway kilometers.

I can say without a word of a lie I only saw THREE non korean cars on the road in that time - they were mercs and beemers.

Korean still hate the japs for the historical invasions - they are ferociously patriotic and buy their own brands.

There are many more LARGE korean cars than we see over here - they export the small crappy ones and drive generally much larger cars.

atb

steve