Board logo

Home insurance for house share?
ned - 13/9/07 at 08:19 PM

Sure someone will know the answer, I'm obviously googling on the wrong keywords..!

Basically renting out my spare room and want to know where I stand in terms of contents insurance (due for renewal anyway) and if there are any insurers who have specific policies to cover all eventualities in this situation.

I am getting full references etc from my tenant but would like to cover all the angles as I def couldn't afford a 'worst case' scenario even with the normal/sensible checks..

cheers,

Ned.

nludkin - 13/9/07 at 08:33 PM

I believe Ensleigh will provide cover for people who sub-let..
However, both parties need this cover as the majority of insurers won't cover you to have someone else living in the house who aren't partners / family.

StevieB - 13/9/07 at 08:34 PM

Do a search for landlords insurance - you'll be able to segregate the areas of your home for insurance purposes.

When I was a student, my gear was only covered for my own room - the communal areas weren't insured at all (which was mainly dirty plates, empty beer cans and an old TV anyway!)

caber - 13/9/07 at 08:39 PM

Will be very difficult to get contents insurance if you have a lodger. If you do then getting a claim met unless you can absolutely prove the lodger was not involved in damage or theft. good luck

Caber

James - 14/9/07 at 10:26 AM

Have you got anything worth nicking Ned?

ned - 14/9/07 at 04:51 PM

James, ya cheeky git!

Spoken to endsleigh and they have a policy that the monkey on the phone told me will cover theft where there is no forced entry which is the normal clause that bu**ers you up in my scenario!

cheers guys,

Ned.