Board logo

Accelerator position
hoots_min - 4/6/09 at 07:20 PM

Am about ready to get the Accelerator in position, but before I do, just wondering if there is any rules of thumb as to how far away from the brake it has to/should be or whether it is just down to personal preference?

Thanks in advance

blakep82 - 4/6/09 at 07:26 PM

no specifics. just down to preference, but i have heard of car failing sva because the tester couldn't drive it, do don't put them too close

hellbent345 - 4/6/09 at 07:47 PM

for road cars ive heard minimum spacing is 50mm? havent heard anything about the iva test requirments though.

[Edited on 4/6/09 by hellbent345]

Steve Hignett - 4/6/09 at 07:48 PM

No matter how much you think you need them a specific distance away to be able to heel and toe, don't set them up that way. I'd put them about the width of a narrow shoe/trainer - basically enough so that you could brake with the LHS ball of your foot and catch the accelerator with the RHS outside of the ball of your foot.

ATB

hoots_min - 4/6/09 at 09:23 PM

Thanks, tomorrow nights job then!

Macbeast - 4/6/09 at 11:19 PM

I bought some pedals from Halfords and the instructions said minimum distance of 50mm "to avoid getting foot trapped between them "

Richard Quinn - 5/6/09 at 05:41 AM

But surely that's a flawed reasoning as a smaller gap would also prevent you getting a foot stuck between them?

mr henderson - 5/6/09 at 06:49 AM

The thing that ALL manufacturers do is to place the pedal's resting position further away than that of the brake.

The reasoning is that if you can reach the accelerator pedal to make the vehicle go, then you can definitely reach the brake and make it stop. Well worth considering for when other people drive the car

John