Board logo

Is it normal!!!
Paddy-striker - 8/4/14 at 03:51 PM

Hi

Is it normal for oil to spit out of the dipstick tube on a pinto engine when it is running?

Running on 15w/40 at the mo

Thanks for any help

bartonp - 8/4/14 at 03:57 PM

If it's overfull, yes.
Or if you have crankcase compression/ring blow-by/blocked breathers.

jacko - 8/4/14 at 03:59 PM

No
Have you put the breather pipe into a catch tank without modifying the one way valve ?
this will cause back pressure and may also blow oil out the filler top
Jacko

pewe - 8/4/14 at 04:23 PM

Does the dipstick or its tube have an O ring?
Try that first.
Cheers, Pewe10

snapper - 8/4/14 at 05:40 PM

I'm building a new breather system for my Pinto
19mm from crank case
16mm from rocker with 19mm neck mini filter
Even on a new engine the Pinto breaths hard, once you remove PCV and pipe to inlet you can see the oil mist everywhere

Paddy-striker - 8/4/14 at 06:26 PM

Having run the car on and off for the last 8 years and covered around 6000 miles i realised from the forum I should have removed pcv valve as I have always ran a catch tank.

Anyway moded the valve by cutting of the bottom and then replacing it into flame arrester body.

Pipe from moded pcv and pipe from oil filler cap join in a Y piece which goes to catch tank with breather filter.

Dont see any reason for the pressure but is it ok

I normally wrap a bit of insulation tape around dipstick to stop oil seeping out. No o-rings to be seen

Paddy-striker - 8/4/14 at 06:28 PM

Oh and oil level i think is good, approx 70mm below bottom of block so i dont think crank should be hitting it

britishtrident - 8/4/14 at 06:34 PM

Yes and no, most engines that have a few miles under their belt will spit some oil out if dipstick is not in place but it can be a sign of a breather problem, ring failure or excessively high oil level.