Board logo

Type E gearbox query.
J222jra - 10/11/15 at 07:44 PM

Hey guys I'm wondering if any of you boffins can help me out.

I currently have a ford type 2 gearbox fitted to my 1600cc xflow Ron Champion 7.

Does anyone know if a type e rocket box will fit the chassis without modifications? Will the bell housing hit the chassis? Is the gearbox mount in the same position?

I know that I will need a new propshaft. If it's lots of hassIe i will just send the type 2 to quaife for a rebuild.

Kind regards

James

[Edited on 10/11/15 by J222jra]

Paul Turner - 11/11/15 at 08:44 AM

I swapped form a Quaiffe type 2 to a Quaiffe type E about 20 years ago in my Caterham.

Space wise I knew it would fit since the chassis was designed for a type 9. The type E is bigger all round than a Type 2 but slightly smaller than a Type 9 except for length, well its 6mm shorter if you want to be picky.

I had to fabricate a new mount, its lower and further back than the type 2.

Using the Type 2 resulted in having a gearlever extension on the back of the box, with the type E it was unnecessary.

I had to fit a new longer speedo cable.

You already know the prop is different so no surprises there.

I used a RS2000 alloy bellhousing, worthwhile getting one as the total weight of the type E is then identical to the type 2. Make sure you get the correct release arm if you go down this route.

But if you already have a Quaiffe type 2 and only have a 1600 cross flow I would simply get it rebuilt. The Quaiffe type 2 is a superb box especially if you are running a cross flow with not too much power. At the time I had a 175 bhp 1860 steel cross flow that was in danger of destroying the box and that was the only reason I swapped.

If you are north of London consider using Steve Perks at SPC for a rebuild. Quaiffe can be expensive. Steve is on 01527 894232.