Board logo

XE oil choices for running in and after??
gregf27 - 12/3/08 at 05:53 PM

Am getting to the stage of finishing off my pinto to XE conversion,

what oil's are people using in their XE's??
( tried a search )
semi synthetic?? or what? and what viscosity??
need something for the running in of the engine first. what do you reccomend?

Pants On Fire - 12/3/08 at 07:23 PM

I've been using Mobil Super S recently in my XE, semi synth and 10/40, 2000 miles since a rebuild. Shameless admission I bought it cos it was on special offer at Halfrauds, half the cost of Mobil 1.

Mostly track use mind, drinks just under 1/2 litre after a damn good all day long spanking and maintains 80psi all day long.

[Edited on 12/3/08 by Pants On Fire]

rusty nuts - 12/3/08 at 08:08 PM

Nothing wrong with Vauxhall oil and normally a good price

triumphdave - 12/3/08 at 09:41 PM

Chuck in some cheap stuff for the first 500mls or so,to give the rings and stuff a chance to bed in,then use the good stuff

Stu16v - 12/3/08 at 10:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by triumphdave
Chuck in some cheap stuff for the first 500mls or so,to give the rings and stuff a chance to bed in,then use the good stuff

Agreed. Get some real cheap sh1t to begin with Greg...

oldtimer - 13/3/08 at 10:46 PM

I agree with the running in oil. You can buy the actual stuff or cheap stuff with no deturgent in it, with revs at 1/4 of max revs for a good half an hour - I know there are a million variations on the theory of running in but this has worked well for me.

NS Dev - 15/3/08 at 09:53 PM

cheapo oil to start with then just a good quality 15-40 mineral oil will be fine.

I used decent valvoline 15-40 mineral oil in my racer, never any problems, just change it often, its cheap enough.