Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: R1 to R1 swaps
The Knobs

posted on 22/9/21 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
R1 to R1 swaps

I have a Striker with a 5PW fitted and was thinking of a swap to a 5vy engine. Is this a simple swap or a pita as i dont have an engine to look at next to mine? Would it need the ecu etc from the new engine?
roadrunner

posted on 23/9/21 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
What's the difference in age between engines.
Without knowing exactly, I would say you would need to alter the cradle, have a different loom, exhaust headers, ECU, fuel pump. Can't think of anything else but there will be more.

Brad

The Knobs

posted on 23/9/21 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
Looks like completely different engine and bigger and heavier.Only asking as looking at potential supercharger addition but tts is £6k which is way too much for a toy tbh.

Anyone fitted a rotrex to a 5pw diy?

Sanzomat

posted on 23/9/21 at 02:58 PM Reply With Quote
Related to that, have you any upgraded injectors in mind if you do go forced induction? I've got standard 5PW injectors and they maxed out fully open all the time at 11,000rpm on the rolling road so went lean above 11k (normally aspirated). Not the end of the world as it was already past peak power by then (147.5@10,300) but the tuner thought the injectors were the weak link in getting more power from it and a bit of spare flow is a good idea - shouldn't really go over 85% is the rule of thumb). If you went forced you would definitely need higher flow rates. I'm wondering what the best upgraded ones would be so if you have already been down that road please let me know.
adithorp

posted on 23/9/21 at 04:22 PM Reply With Quote
5pw to 5vy you'd be looking at new headers, TB's, airbox, loom, ECU (preferably US one to eliminate the immobiliser), modified cradle/mounts.

The 2 share a lot of DNA but have very few shared parts.

Never measured/weighed them but I get the impression the 5vy is slightly smaller and lighter though the throttle bodies are at a higher angle making it a taller package.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

hobbsy

posted on 23/9/21 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
There are some bigger injectors that fit the 5PW throttle bodies. I may even still have a set.

308cc from memory. Denso

I've also got some other forced induction 5pw bits like some brand new H bead con rods.

Don't need them now as sold the car

U2u me if interested and I'll dig the box out

The Knobs

posted on 27/9/21 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote
Just gathering info for now as a long list of things to do as usual lol

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.