Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Whats this?? - (R1 Loom)
speed8

posted on 24/11/05 at 11:30 PM Reply With Quote
Whats this?? - (R1 Loom)

What are these little black, 6 wire, things. They all have the same coloured wires and are not on the wiring diagram? Are they something to do with the cyclelock? There's about 5 or 6 through the loom.

2003 R1 Loom

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

And also these two connectors on the bottom right, the multi-wire one and the white one with the looped wire.

Description
Description

Everything else on the loom is labelled now. If these are the cyclelock then I'll attack it in the morning.

I also have an extra wire on one of the connectors for the ignition switch? Any ideas.

Cheers

[Edited on 11/24/05 by speed8]

highspeeddirt

posted on 25/11/05 at 06:43 AM Reply With Quote
The little black connectors join six wires together to make them one circuit. If you pull the cap off you will see a six way blade connecting them all together.

The last picture is the cyclelock. You should have another connector to join two of the wires on the square connector in the same way as the round connector has two wires connected. On your picture the two wires to connect are the ones nearest to the camera, top to the bottom.

Not sure what you mean about the ignition switch, there are 5 wires, 12 volt in then switched to feed the fuse box and the lights. Then 2 others in a seperate circuit which appears to do the checks for sidestand/clutch etc. before powering the starter circuit. I'm going to keep these two circuits seperate by using two relays switched by the ignition and then remove the lighting circuit to a dashboard switch.

Steve Rescued attachment IMG_1398.jpg
Rescued attachment IMG_1398.jpg

speed8

posted on 25/11/05 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
Ok, so I can leave the little black capped ones as they are? I noticed the blade under the cap and wondered why they just didn't have a straight through wire.

Cyclelock, I don't have another connector for that part. Are the all the same? If I can't find a connector I'll just hard wire the two mentioned together.

Ignition. I have the same as you then. The wiring diagram only shows 2 wires on the red connector but there are three. Shouldn't be a problem, just need to trace where it goes and should be fine.

Cheers

speed8

posted on 25/11/05 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
Just to add.
If I traced that right, the loop I'm missing breaks the wire from the push start on the right handlebar to the start circuit cutoff relay.

highspeeddirt

posted on 25/11/05 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
On european 2003 R1's the lights were wired to be on all the time the ignition was on. US bikes were wired to a switch and that diagram only shows 4 wires to the ignition switch.

The little black connectors save having to solder or crimp wires together at various postions throughout the loom. It seems a nice neat solution.

Yes you're right, the cyclelock loop does join wires which run from the push start to the start circuit cutoff relay.

Steve

speed8

posted on 25/11/05 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers.

I don't need to chop too much then. Just loop the cyclelock and short out the clutch/sidestand switches. And if I remember right from another thread the exup wiring can just have some wires shorted to each other and that takes care of that.

highspeeddirt

posted on 25/11/05 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
I believe you can leave the exup out if you are not using the original instruments. Otherwise it sends error codes to the dash and upsets the tach.

Steve

speed8

posted on 25/11/05 at 04:53 PM Reply With Quote
Not using original clocks. Probably some Smiths gauges so should be ok with that.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.