Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Keeping away from a Q plate
G.Man

posted on 23/3/06 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
well, I was told when my car passed its sva that it would never need to pass that stringent an emissions test ever again as it would be subject to an age realated emissions test...

In my case 1990.. no cat...

If that is wrong info, and they are going to retrospectively change the emissions requirements, then surely someone would have said this on a kit car website by now????

Not that I care anyway, my car is in cyprus now, wont need an MOT for 4 years, and then will be subject to 1990 requirements as shown in my log book

Opinions are like backsides..
Everyone has one, nobody wants to hear it and only other peoples stink!

Hellfire

posted on 23/3/06 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
Here's the requirements for MOT.

A - If your car has an AGE-RELATED plate he’ll assume that the engine is the same age as the plate and do the test accordingly. However, if your age-related plate refers to pre-Aug 1998 (‘S’ Prefix) you will continue to get the visible smoke test for the life of the vehicle REGARDLESS of the age of the engine. Remember though that this does NOT include PERSONALISED plates as in this case the vehicle will continue to be tested according to its age and NOT the vehicle registration number.

B - If your vehicle has a CURRENT/NEW plate or one that is after 1st August 1998, you will get a ‘basic’ emissions test, which is a basic check conducted to set limits carried out BEFORE the ‘CAT’ test. If you pass…..GREAT. If you fail though you’ll be subject to a full ‘by-the-book’ CAT test, plus remember that if you fail this you’ll also fail the MOT. Of course there are plenty of CURRENT/NEW registered kits running around with reconditioned engines so in this instance you will have to prove the age of the engine to the MOT tester. Ideally you should have a copy of your SVA MAC ‘pass’ certificate, which will be sufficient. Otherwise you will have to get a letter from the engines manufacturer stating clearly what year the engine was made.

C - Cars with a ‘Q’ plate are regarded as being of uncertain age so therefore will continue to be subject to the visible smoke test.

Avoneer

posted on 23/3/06 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cossey
with the new computer mot you will have to pass what ever you did at sva time so cat test at sva means cat test at mot. this is regardless of number plate.

Nope, nope and nope.

This was my inital thoughts, but after much research, a Q plate is only and will always be a visual smoke test at MOT and supercedes anything written on any bits of paper or computer system.

Got print of the bit from the new MOT regulations somewhere.

Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cossey
Contributor

Posts 430
Registered 5/12/05
Location Kent

Photo Archive Go!
Building: a pile of bits that will someday be a fisher fury

posted on 23/3/06 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
Here's the requirements for MOT.

A - If your car has an AGE-RELATED plate he’ll assume that the engine is the same age as the plate and do the test accordingly. However, if your age-related plate refers to pre-Aug 1998 (‘S’ Prefix) you will continue to get the visible smoke test for the life of the vehicle REGARDLESS of the age of the engine. Remember though that this does NOT include PERSONALISED plates as in this case the vehicle will continue to be tested according to its age and NOT the vehicle registration number.

B - If your vehicle has a CURRENT/NEW plate or one that is after 1st August 1998, you will get a ‘basic’ emissions test, which is a basic check conducted to set limits carried out BEFORE the ‘CAT’ test. If you pass…..GREAT. If you fail though you’ll be subject to a full ‘by-the-book’ CAT test, plus remember that if you fail this you’ll also fail the MOT. Of course there are plenty of CURRENT/NEW registered kits running around with reconditioned engines so in this instance you will have to prove the age of the engine to the MOT tester. Ideally you should have a copy of your SVA MAC ‘pass’ certificate, which will be sufficient. Otherwise you will have to get a letter from the engines manufacturer stating clearly what year the engine was made.

C - Cars with a ‘Q’ plate are regarded as being of uncertain age so therefore will continue to be subject to the visible smoke test.

so new plate means non cat test at mot even with a new engine ie 3.5%co and 1200ppm hc and if you fail that you have to do the cat test ie 0.3%co 200ppmhc and 0.97-1.03 lambda.

G.Man

posted on 23/3/06 at 11:12 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks hellfire, that was my understanding

Opinions are like backsides..
Everyone has one, nobody wants to hear it and only other peoples stink!

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.