Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: No 3rd Gear !
Lightning

posted on 2/2/06 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
No 3rd Gear !

Can't get third gear now. boo hoo...
It feels like it isn't engaing and if it does it pops out again.
Bent selector forks????
I have not taken a bike engine to bits before (car engines..many) let alone the gearbox.
Can they be straightened or do I need new forks? If so, anyone got some??
I will probably need talking through the operation

Steve

Hellfire

posted on 2/2/06 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
Could be a bent or worn selector fork or the dogs on the gear have rounded off. Either way, its probably gonna be best to take the engine out. You'll have to split the engine casings to get at the gears. It does sound rather daunting but if you do it methodically in accordance with the manual, its quite easy and straightforward.

Once you've got to the gears, be sure to check the selector drum for damaged/rounded edges as well as the faces and dogs of all the gears. We have a few parts for the 893 engine including selector forks etc and might be able to source some 919 stuff. Once you know what needs replacing, let us know and we'll see if we can be of any help.

Good luck

Phil

jambojeef

posted on 2/2/06 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
hi there,

First of all I would check that the oil is clean and work out how many miles you have covered.

An oil change can have quite a big effect on the gear change feel and smoothness of shift as Im sure you know anyway but its worth a check.

Also if you take the sump off the engine you should be able to look up into the gear selector drum which might tell you a little more.

The only other thing to check before dismantling anything is that your gear linkage is smooth and freely moving?

Should be ok to work on though, might not even have to take the engine out....?!

Geoff

Hellfire

posted on 2/2/06 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
Just to add to the above - the genuine Honda forks are around £40-£50 each. There are three of them and are specific to engine and position on shaft.

Steve

[Edited on 2-2-06 by Hellfire]

Lightning

posted on 2/2/06 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
Looking at the manual I think it will be the engine out anyhow so that I can see things better. Better than upside down on the gargae floor.
This is where I find out whether I did make the cradle such that the whole lot can be removed with the engine.

Steve

Lightning

posted on 3/2/06 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
well thats Phase 1 out of the way ...the engine is out of the car. Dont you just love bike engines, pulled it out on my own without a hoist.
Shame about this as my Oz superleggeras turned up today, saving 3 kg per wheel. Not an acurate measurement as I held the different wheels in turn whilst standing on the bathroom scales.

Phase 2 . As I work from home I have an office in the house. This is where the engine will be stripped...in the warm. Start tomorrow evening as SWMBO as other jobs for me

Steve

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.