Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Round 2 !
the moa 2

posted on 7/2/06 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
Round 2 !

Been reading threads on using a digi dash with an R1 install as i have already bought a digidash 2 lite and starting to think whether its actually gonna work with my R1 .

Found this thread here were a couple of the manufactures namely MK and Mac 1 have a bit of a fight on whether it would work or not:

http://locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=30754

Can anyone confirm what needs to be done to the loom to use the Digidash 2 lite ill be usng either the 5JJ OR THE 5PW engine.

Im not using th R1 rad and will use a seperate fan switch.

[Edited on 7/2/06 by the moa 2]

speed8

posted on 7/2/06 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
As far as I can see it works with a DD2 or DD2Lite. There are a few tricks to sort out the stuff like the EXUP valve and fuel sensor, etc but they are all posted on here or places like the R1forum.
The DD2 install looks easier but I am going to go ahead with Telemetrix gauges and don't really have any worries now about going away from the original clocks.
Talk to mac#1 as the seem to be doing a lot of DD installs.

shortie

posted on 7/2/06 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
To be honest MAC1 are the ones to speak to with regard to the Digidash, I would go with what they say.

No reason at all why it shouldn't work.

Rich.

cossey
Contributor

Posts 430
Registered 5/12/05
Location Kent

Photo Archive Go!
Building: a pile of bits that will someday be a fisher fury

posted on 7/2/06 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
you do not need the r1 dash to run the engine properly. nor do you need the exup valve (the errors only occur with the bike dash) so just disconnect it. dont try and fool it with resistors most of the time it causes more problems than it solves
RichieC

posted on 7/2/06 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
What cossey says is correct, to reiterate

R1 Clocks - You need the EXUP motor otherwise youll get the dancing needles error code. It can be beaten by using a box of tricks which will save the kilo or two of the heavy servo, but some owners have had problems with these boxes.

Non R1 Clocks - You dont require anything EXUP related.

You dont need the EXUP Valve in either case.

As far as the Digidash goes, Im just reading that thread now but theres no reason at al it shouldnt work. Its merely some power feeds and some sensors some of which are taken from the bike loom, the remainder independantly with the DD2 sensors.

Rich

[Edited on 7/2/06 by RichieC]

the moa 2

posted on 7/2/06 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
Thats what i wanted to hear !

The only problem i can see is not being able to get any fault diagnosis codes if anything does go wrong.

ChrisGamlin

posted on 7/2/06 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
Just do as Ive done, leave the dash sub loom in place so if you need to diagnose anything you just plug the original bike clocks in tandem.

Ive got a DD1 and it was simple to install with my 5PW engine, the only thing is to remember to use a tacho feed directly off one of the coil triggers rather than the dash's feed (from the ECU I think), as if you take the dash feed, you'll also see the error "tacho tango" signals because of the EXUP valve being absent.

Apart from that, the DD uses all its own sensors (fuel, oil temp, oil pressure, water temp etc) so not sure why the bike fuel sensor etc should be an issue.

Chris

ChrisGamlin

posted on 7/2/06 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
Just read the bit on the other thread about it not running properly without the clocks - Im not sure what year snoopy is referring to but Ive never heard that one before, I certainly didnt need to do anything flash to get mine to work without the clocks.

progers

posted on 8/2/06 at 07:55 AM Reply With Quote
I too read the thread where Snoopy claimed they could not rev the engine beyond 8k without the R1 clocks being plugged in. Can't think why this should happen! I've wired both carb'd and injected motors and this has not been a problem (not using R1 clocks both times). Sounds to me as though they had done something to upset the feed to the coils when wiring the DD? Wierd

Paul

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.