Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: gear selection direction
Bob C

posted on 15/2/06 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
gear selection direction

I know there was a poll about this - can anyone point to it or remember the results?
I'm in a quandary - I think the poll said back = up was most popular, but when I see comp. cars on telly they're always forwards = up and my mate's smart roadster is the same.
Oh - yeah I've made the linkage for back = up, but that's easily changed!
It's a bugger this - I wish there were a definate standard, as it is, a short drive in a car going the other way & you're likely to trash the engine or visit the countryside!
cheers
Bob

Wadders

posted on 15/2/06 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
My vote is for back=up, just feels right, maybe its from riding bikes. also if you brake hard and all the forces are pushing you forward, it seems
easier to push forward to change down.
Stuart Taylors race cars are the other way, so suppose it's whatever suits the driver.
I let someone drive mine at donnington who normally drives a factory built ST bec. Big mistake 2nd lap he forgot and blew the motor.

[Edited on 15/2/06 by Wadders]

Jon Ison

posted on 15/2/06 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
Have too agree, it seems the most natural reaction (to me anyway) too push the lever forwards whilst braking into a corner and pull it back when accelerating, I think you will find 90% + becs are set up this way, Ive seen a fair few of Stuart Taylors RGB's that have been altered too the "right way round" that said a lot of people are using paddle shift now.

flyingkiwi

posted on 15/2/06 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
IMHO it depends if your building the car for yourself or to sell, if your selling it then go for the general opinion, if your keeping it then go for the option that you feel most comfortable with.

The missus has an FTO with a tiptronic gearbox and I tend to drive it mainly in the tip mode, simple push forward change up, push back change down. I know people who have swapped it around, preferring the pull back go faster idea.

Same problem with paddle shift, do you have up on the left or right paddle?

If I was keeping the car I would sit in it and make silly varroom vrooooom noises, whilst pretending I was blatting around monaco and work out which way I preferred. Thats they way I would do it.

Cheers
Chris

It Runs!!!!! Bring on the SVA!

donut

posted on 15/2/06 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
I have a VW Sharan with an optional trip tronic shift thingy and it's forwards for up which feels very unnatural, i wish it were the other way round then maybe i would use it more often.

Not quite the same but the basics are there.

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stevec

posted on 15/2/06 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
Just finished my linkage and back is up, like the other posting its from my bike days, Oh those days, age 20 and never goin to die. How did most of us get away with it?

smart51

posted on 15/2/06 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
Most people opt for back = up. Smart have it the other way round.
Avoneer

posted on 15/2/06 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
Got my paddles fitted now and not sure which one to pull for up or down, but I will get used to it.

Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Hellfire

posted on 15/2/06 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
Our Blade engined Indy was pull back on lever for upshift. It felt the most natural way of changing gear.

Our ZX12R engined Indy is push forward for upshifts. It feels the most natural way of changing gear.

There is no best way. It's whatever you get used too.

cossey
Contributor

Posts 430
Registered 5/12/05
Location Kent

Photo Archive Go!
Building: a pile of bits that will someday be a fisher fury

posted on 15/2/06 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
the vast majority of competiton cars use back for up and right paddle for up iirc
shortie

posted on 15/2/06 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
Forward for 1st then back up through the gears to 6th, forwards for down the gears.

Seems very natural to me.

Rich.

Avoneer

posted on 15/2/06 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
Didn't explain my last post very well - I will pull for up and pull for down - not sure which paddle is which yet, but don't think it will matter.

Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

stevebubs

posted on 15/2/06 at 11:44 PM Reply With Quote
Most production cars (VW, BMW, Smart) etc have forward for change up ....and yes, it feels unnatural with the G forces in quick cars.

Most Arcade Racing Games are the same - this doesn't feel so unnatural as you don't have the G Forces.

Most home-builts BECs are built the other way round because that's the way that "just feels right"...

cossey
Contributor

Posts 430
Registered 5/12/05
Location Kent

Photo Archive Go!
Building: a pile of bits that will someday be a fisher fury

posted on 16/2/06 at 09:00 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Avoneer
Didn't explain my last post very well - I will pull for up and pull for down - not sure which paddle is which yet, but don't think it will matter.

Pat...

pull on the right hand side for up like this HERE

smart51

posted on 16/2/06 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
Here's a thought. If you use a cable to shift, rather than a series of solid links, you will be pulling the cable in one direction and pushing in the other. It would make sense to use the pull the cable to make upshifts as you will want these to be quicker and more positive. You can push the cable to make downshifts as you aren't as likely to be on the power when shifting down.
G.Man

posted on 16/2/06 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
All the race karts I have run use forward for up and back for down...

Its the same on most race cars with sequential as well..

The main reason is the way the gearshift interacts under heavy braking... (on a kart)

It also seems more natural to me as well.. forward for faster, backwards for slower...

All auto boxs with a tiptronic shift use forward for up and backwards for down as well...

But it will ultimately be your preference...

I am changing my MNR to forward for up the box, as after driving lots of other vehicles that way its now my natural instinct..

[Edited on 16/2/06 by G.Man]

Opinions are like backsides..
Everyone has one, nobody wants to hear it and only other peoples stink!

G.Man

posted on 16/2/06 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smart51
Here's a thought. If you use a cable to shift, rather than a series of solid links, you will be pulling the cable in one direction and pushing in the other. It would make sense to use the pull the cable to make upshifts as you will want these to be quicker and more positive. You can push the cable to make downshifts as you aren't as likely to be on the power when shifting down.

In a cable from the front that would be forward for upshifts and backwards for downshifts..

Thats the reason they use that on karts... the gear shift is by the steering wheel and under braking the kart flexes so much it pushes the gear lever away from the wheel, meaning you can run it closer to the wheel for upshifts and literally use just the tips of your fingers...

Opinions are like backsides..
Everyone has one, nobody wants to hear it and only other peoples stink!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.