Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: R1 Heads
lsdweb

posted on 12/3/06 at 10:13 AM Reply With Quote
R1 Heads

Hi All

I know the inlet ports on the carb and injection heads are different but are the blocks different? I'm trying to work out if I can fit an injected head to a carb motor , as have both throttle bodies and carbs and want to run on injection, but the engine is a carb engine. I can get the tb's to fit (after some work) but it may be easier to fit an injection head if it'll all line up.

Regards

Wyn

GEORGE80

posted on 12/3/06 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
hi there,
you could see if the head gasket is the same part number and if so i would think it'll bolt straight on

george

GEORGE80

posted on 12/3/06 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
hi there,
you could see if the head gasket is the same part number and if so i would think it'll bolt straight on

george

lsdweb

posted on 12/3/06 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks George

I've looked on some of the online catalogues and the prices are different - so are the drawings - I guess that tells me the heads are differnet! Oh well, back to my imaginary drawing board!

Wyn

ChrisGamlin

posted on 13/3/06 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
I am pretty sure it can be done, as they've mentioned doing it on the DSR Forums. Have a search in that engine section, I think someone ran a carbed head on a 2003 bottom end from an FI engine.

lsdweb

posted on 13/3/06 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Chris

It looks like I can do it! Anybody got an R1 injected head for sale??? There's nothing on fleabay.

Regards

Wyn

ChrisGamlin

posted on 13/3/06 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
I dont know of one but a friend recently picked one up off ebay for £50 so worth keeping a regular eye out on there.

Whats the reason you want to run a carb bottom end?

lsdweb

posted on 13/3/06 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Chris

I have a carb engine and it's just been fitted - have a look here.

I'm determined to run TB's (as I don't understand carbs!) and, changing the head wil be far simpler than changing the motor (and cheaper!).

Regards

Wyn

ChrisGamlin

posted on 13/3/06 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
Are you sure?!!

I would check to ensure all the sensors etc are the same on the carb engine, if not it might be trickier getting the FI ECU running with it (I suspect the DSRs mainly use after market ECUs for their engines so it may not get mentioned).

I would have thought you could flog the carb engine for best part of a grand and pick up a 2002/3 injected engine for only a couple of hundred more, my complete 2003 package from Colibriman was only £1200, so by the time youve bought head, the loom and other bits you need for your conversion, I would have thought it would be easier/cheaper just to swap the engine?
The only thing you'd need to watch is that the sump is nearly 1" deeper on the injected engines, although Im fairly certain the sumps are interchangeable if that caused an issue.

Chris

[Edited on 13/3/06 by ChrisGamlin]

smart51

posted on 13/3/06 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
could it be possible to fit throttle bodies with fuel injectors in them and run megasquirt or something similar? It would save swapping the head.
ChrisGamlin

posted on 13/3/06 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
I believe the port spacing / sizes are different so might be as much work machining up spacers etc as changing the head

lsdweb

posted on 13/3/06 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
I'm going to be using an aftermarket ECU (Emerald) and will build my own loom so I've got 'half' the bits anyway!

The project is going to run to the wire (my first event is in 8 weeks) so I may just run with carbs initially, as I've got them and the fuel pump etc.. I could convert to injection when I get more time (Christmas!).

Regards

Wyn

ChrisGamlin

posted on 13/3/06 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
Ah OK, if you're running something like an Emerald then I guess it doesnt matter so much what base engine you start off with. Good luck!!

lsdweb

posted on 13/3/06 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Chris

I'll post updates to the list / web site.

Wyn

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.