Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Ready to start final sanding
chrisf

posted on 13/12/04 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
In Steve's renderings, the rear bodywork ends a bit high off the ground. If you look, the rear fenders end pretty high on the wheel. To smooth this out this abrubt ending, a sweeping curved splitter-like covering could sweep from below the gearbox up to the bottom of the lower exhaust. I think this would give it a bit of a more completed look, as well as retain the edgy, exposed styling Steve did. It would be a nice bit to do in CFRP and should not cost too much as well.

Just my opinion.

--Chris

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
sgraber

posted on 13/12/04 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kb58
Regardless where it goes, keep in mind that exhaust cats get very, very hot.

I know, this does concern me, which is why I had it hanging way at the back of the car before... However, many new cars now use a close coupled cat sitting right in the middle of the engine bay shoved in with all the other shit... So I think I can figure something out.

Time to reopen the 3D Viz package...

EDIT - And Chris, thanks for pointing that out. I am in the finishing stages of my rear diffuser. I think what I have already built will work really nicely with the modified rear end. No problems there mate!

[Edited on 12/13/04 by sgraber]

Steve Graber
http://www.grabercars.com/

"Quickness through lightness"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
macspeedy

posted on 13/12/04 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
I'm no expert but this is my 2 pennys worth Rescued attachment Graberscar.jpg
Rescued attachment Graberscar.jpg

derf

posted on 14/12/04 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
Top picture has to be the sexiest exaust Ive ever seen.
Peteff

posted on 14/12/04 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.autocats.com/html/about_frame.htm

Anything like this available to you?. You can get a weld in cat the same diameter as most pipes, it might be worth looking at.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

macspeedy

posted on 14/12/04 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
better detail..

a but rough but.. Rescued attachment Graberscar.jpg
Rescued attachment Graberscar.jpg

Micke Fredriksson

posted on 15/12/04 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tadltd
How about like this:

Hi!! I´m VERY impressed in this projekt soo far! Really brutal- I mean, YOU HAVE ONE CHOICE= Just do like this picture!!!!

/ Micke Fredriksson

sgraber

posted on 16/12/04 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Micke Fredriksson
Hi!! I´m VERY impressed in this projekt soo far! Really brutal- I mean, YOU HAVE ONE CHOICE= Just do like this picture!!!!

YES! But the exhaust routing for an inline 4cyl engine will be sub-optimal. Adding weight, complexity and cost.

I've been trying to draw up how the exhaust would route and there isn't enough room in the right places... With my deDion and Watts link basically in the way of every idea...

Steve Graber

tadltd

posted on 16/12/04 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
I take the hint, Steve!

I need to see more detail of the rear end to get an idea how to package the exhaust pipe run and cat - the ECU's in the place where I'd naturally put the cat (if it can't go under the Watts linkage)...

But I'm sure it could be moved...

[Edited on 16/12/04 by tadltd]

Best Regards,

Steve.
www.turnerautosport.com

sgraber

posted on 16/12/04 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tadltd
I take the hint, Steve!

I need to see more detail of the rear end to get an idea how to package the exhaust pipe run and cat - the ECU's in the place where I'd naturally put the cat (if it can't go under the Watts linkage)...

But I'm sure it could be moved...

[Edited on 16/12/04 by tadltd]

Your help would be appreciated. You certainly don't HAVE to if you are busy with other things. I won't get around to actually building a new exhaust system until the molds are pulled and the plug destroyed. In any case if someone wants to help me solve this dilema I am always grateful!

Edit - i meant to add that there are simply tons of photos on my website. I'll see if I can't round up some links to some helpful ones.

Graber

[Edited on 12/16/04 by sgraber]

tadltd

posted on 16/12/04 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
I had a look round your web-site last night, Steve but couldn't find anything that showed the 'nitty-gritty'!

Mostly you and Alan hooning around your neighbourhood!!

And a few other general shots!

Best Regards,

Steve.
www.turnerautosport.com

Ratman

posted on 17/12/04 at 12:28 AM Reply With Quote
Steve.. great to see all this input. I hope you don’t mind us all chucking in our 5c worth.

This, following, is a design concept that I quite like and might have some application with your “hide the exhaust” exercise. I like the concept that you have a nice basic shape, but you make it brutally obvious where function has to take dominance, and form is temporarily suspended. Examples are the supercharger sticking out through a hole in the hood of a car, the engine cover on a VW set proud of the rest of the body to aid engine cooling and clear the carb trumpets. The air intake on my car below (not a great picture) is a bit like this, the original body work could not accommodate it so I sort of just pushed it into the body and made a feature of it. These are bold statements that we can make as one-off constructors that thumb the nose at production car companies whose accountants insist the car appeals to the lowest common denominator of the buying public.

For your exhaust, I was wondering if you could just make the body shape you want, and include flared cut-outs wherever the exhaust system extends beyond the normal finish-line. It is a very hansom bit of plumbing and seeing it half exposed like this would be very appealing. Also, the pipe materials don’t need protection from the elements. If you need to protect the hot surfaces for the safety of bystanders, then you can clamp small minimum size screens made of, say, SS rod over each hot bit. This could be really eye catching, and gives a nice transition from an ultra-clean front end to an all-meat-and-no-potatoes rear. Which is dead right for a midi.

Cheers, Brian

sgraber

posted on 27/12/04 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
Hey all, I took your advice to heart and really tore into the car over the holidays. Followed Steve Turners advice and gave the car a Butt-Lift.

Also a tummy-tuck...

... and I know what I am doing with the exhaust!

Check out my progress here:

http://www.grabercars.com/Mambosite/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=54&Itemid=42

This photo's a little rough, but general plan is rolling.

Steve Graber

Micke Fredriksson

posted on 27/12/04 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
WOW!! MUCH BETTER can I tell!! I´m following the progress gladly!!

/ Micke Fredriksson

Rorty

posted on 28/12/04 at 03:45 AM Reply With Quote
Steve, I'm full of admiration for your quest for perfection and the results. You know you'll never be finished though, don't you?
It's subtle, but looks much better than before.

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

sgraber

posted on 28/12/04 at 04:33 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys. Tell you what, designing and building the bodywork is much more difficult than building the chassis! Not technically, but aesthetically very, VERY difficult to make it like I want it.

At some point it will be finished. I know that some day soon I will walk out into the garage and look at the car and feel the same feeling that I got when I looked at my Ferrari 250GTO replica. It's a wierd thing to say, but sometimes I used to just stare at the way the shape of that car went from one area to another. Especially the hood lines. I don't think that there has been another car that does it quite the same for me.

Like this view of the hood...

Did you ever see that 62 Ferrari Replica that I built? Ferrari 250GTO Spyder

Steve Graber

violentblue

posted on 28/12/04 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
wow that was your car, I remember reading that article.

a few pics of my other projects

sgraber

posted on 28/12/04 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by violentblue
wow that was your car, I remember reading that article.

That was mine. Finished in Sept. 1999. That car was so beautiful. It was really something special.

You can read more about it here on my old site. (no longer maintained)

http://www.newtier.com/graber/z-car/

Steve Graber

violentblue

posted on 30/12/04 at 05:08 AM Reply With Quote
I remember reading that article in the original publication, made me want to do one. that was/is one sweet car with some very nice detail work.

a few pics of my other projects

sgraber

posted on 3/1/05 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
It's all Steve Turners fault!

Turners Fault - Rear End
Turners Fault - Rear End

A few lines need straightening and such, but the butt-lift is basically finished. I think it looks great.

Steve Graber

Sven

posted on 3/1/05 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sgraber
A few lines need straightening and such, but the butt-lift is basically finished. I think it looks great.

I think it looks great, it ties the upper and lower portions together very neatly. Nice!

-Steve

krlthms

posted on 4/1/05 at 03:21 AM Reply With Quote
Very nice Steve.
Will you be fitting some sort of diffuser at the back?
Have you sorted out the routing for the exhaust. Could you route it so it exits on the side ahead of the rear wheels?
Cheers
KT

Alan B

posted on 4/1/05 at 02:21 PM Reply With Quote
Hmmmm...it looks like I could cut out a lower opening out of mine too......

sgraber

posted on 4/1/05 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
^ Yes, yes you could! Is it something you are considering? Or are you teasing me?

How will you be routing your exhaust?

Steve Graber

Alan B

posted on 4/1/05 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
Yes the plan was always to cut out most of it....the vertical ribs I'll be leaving in though..I need them for mounting the hinges.

Exhaust..?....no idea.......waiting to see what you do......

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.