Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: R1 engine position (opinions sought pls)
dern

posted on 15/2/05 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
I've been out in the garage having a think and for the right hand side I was thinking along the lines of this...

The bar is inch box. The mounts to the engine are 3mm plate welded to the bar. The end mounts are 3mm plate welding to the chassis and then bolted to the bar. The hole in the bar ends will have a bit of tube welded in to stop any possibility or crushing or the hole being worn larger.

My thinking is that that would be lighter than having tubes running everywhere, not intrude on the space where the steering column would go so I wouldn't have to worry about clashes and also be removeable so the engine can be easily removed. It would resist the engine twisting about the z-axis and from shifting from side to side and backwards and forwards.

I haven't really thought about the mounts of the other side of the engine.

Please feel free to point out the flaws

Thanks,

Mark

[Edited on 15/2/05 by dern]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Coose

posted on 18/2/05 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
Chris - yep, that's a luvly set of 41FCR flatslides you can see there, but as far as I know the motor is stock.....

It'll be running on stock (TTS jet-kitted) carbs at first, then the flatslides may just get lobbed on!

I did a deal with a sidecar racer for one of his spare engines and the carbs were part of the bartering process!

Spin 'er off Well...

ChrisGamlin

posted on 18/2/05 at 11:07 AM Reply With Quote
Nice! Wish me luck with my nice complicated throttle bodies!

Coose

posted on 18/2/05 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
Ahhh, you'll be right! Just make sure you use the R1 fuel pump to keep things simple, and get yerself a Power Commander or similar. It makes life sooooo simple when you can download whatever program you need from their website and then off you go!

Spin 'er off Well...

ChrisGamlin

posted on 18/2/05 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
Yup, got myself a Power Commander PCIIIr today (the one that does ignition and fuelling), and hopefully in the process of getting a pump. Will then run a low pressure pump up to a big swirl pot with the bike pump submerged in it, that way I don't need to mod my existing tank as its got a return feed already.

ChrisGamlin

posted on 18/2/05 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
You may want to look at making up a cradle something like this

Alternative Cradle Design
Alternative Cradle Design

I hope Wadders doesnt mind me nicking and editing his picture, it was the first BEC engine from above I could find

A diagonal X frame is how Westfield do it in their BECs, I think its a good design as the X bracing will add some more strength to the chassis compared to a ST type cradle or individual mounts.

Chris

[Edited on 18/2/05 by ChrisGamlin]

chrisf

posted on 18/2/05 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
I did mine exactly like Chris just showed. Mine is hard mounted in the corners for extra bracing but rubber mounted on the engine. I made mine out of 3/4" square. It seems really sturdy but is something I will keep my eye one.

Pics are on my website.

--Chris

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ChrisGamlin

posted on 18/2/05 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
I think the Westie one is only 3/4" round tube so yours should be fine too.
Some trick rear dampers youve got there

dern

posted on 25/2/05 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
I've been moving along on this making up some brackets and so on but on the gearbox side are two mounts where the back of the engine fits into the frame. I've used to top mount but not (so far) the bottom one. I'm pretty happy that the engine will be firmly located without the bottom mount but wondered if, by not using it, I'd be putting the engine under undue stress.

Does everyone else use both top and bottom mounts on the gearbox side?

Thanks,

Mark

ChrisGamlin

posted on 25/2/05 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
I never had bottom mounts on my blade but then the ST frame is quite chunkily built and holds the engine OK. Im going to build an X frame like above for the R1 which won't be as solid so I will put on bottom mounts too

dern

posted on 25/2/05 at 09:40 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChrisGamlin
I never had bottom mounts on my blade but then the ST frame is quite chunkily built and holds the engine OK. Im going to build an X frame like above for the R1 which won't be as solid so I will put on bottom mounts too
It certainly doesn't look as though the engine requires it in order to to distort/twist (not in the chassis but as a unit) and I believe that the engine acts as effectively part of the chassis in a bike. I think I'll do the mounts as I'm planning (without the lower mounts) and see how I feel when I'm done.

Cheers,

Mark

ChrisGamlin

posted on 25/2/05 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
Yup, you dont need it to protect the engine at all, just to stop it moving in the chassis when under load, trying to twist the frame. Basically if you can make your frame strong enough whilst keeping it light then there's no reason to use em.

[Edited on 25/2/05 by ChrisGamlin]

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.