Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bloody bid-snipers
locogeoff

posted on 12/4/05 at 11:01 PM Reply With Quote
Just been outbid/snipped on a set of wing supports for clamshell wings, bummer... checked out winning bidder and they've just purchased some cycle wings hmmmm, wonder if the are unrelated purchases or the winner's an ejit, if somebody on here has just gone SHIT! give me a shout I'll buy them off you for a moderate loss on your part.
thekafer

posted on 12/4/05 at 11:27 PM Reply With Quote
I hate using Ebay.. I've always found better deals thru networks of people in forums,clubs,friends etc.... Shows always worked out well for old V.W. stuff..

Fletch,

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotomy...

smart51

posted on 13/4/05 at 08:29 AM Reply With Quote
If you place a bid early on in the auction, allow yourself to get out bid, and then bid again in the last seconds, are you still a bid sniper?

Seriously, if you bid early and keep bidding, you are just fueling a bidding war. The price will escalate enormously. The first few items I bid on were lost that way. I stopped bidding when the bid price reached the new price.

The difference with eBay and a normal auction is that a normal auction stops when all bidders stop. eBay stops at a fixed time which allows bid snipers.

It is the way it is. You either have to accept it or stay away.

mookaloid

posted on 13/4/05 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
Bid sniping is cool
Mix

posted on 13/4/05 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
No scrapyards in your area then!!

Mick, with a Micra rad expansion tank and fan for a tenner and 20 min work.

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 13/4/05 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
If you add up the item cost +postage that = almost the new price from the factors
MikeRJ

posted on 13/4/05 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mookaloid
I have had abusive emails from losing bidders on ebay after I had sniped and won an item.

LOL, a friend of mine just got one of these after winning a folding bike in the last 30 seconds or so. The knob that wrote to him said :

"before I report you to Ebay, would you like to explain why you were bidding at the last minute?"

I nearly wet myself when he showed me, a lot of very sad people around.

clbarclay

posted on 13/4/05 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
Are ebay now offering auctions that last 9days 23hours 59minuits and 6days 23hours 59minuits?

Sniping may be a pain in the donkey, but just because a bid is placed with less than a minuit to go doesn't mean its necisserely sniping.

JoelP

posted on 13/4/05 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
as someone already said, it wouldnt be a problem if everyone did it - you would have to enter your genuine maximum bid in case someone else bid too...

as a seller, i find it annoying, cos bidding wars are great news but as a buyer, its the only real way to do it.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

andyps

posted on 15/4/05 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
If there is aomething I want on ebay I will place a bid early if there are no bids, otherwise I wait until the last few seconds to place the bid - about 10 seconds to go seems about right provided you already have the submit bid page ready! Almost came unstuck when teh computer crashed on one item though - fortunately no-one else bid.

Never used a sniping tool though, I enjoy the chase.

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.