Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Introduction
Bart Vangampelaere

posted on 2/1/03 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
So you'll have to get rid of the delorean and buy a 787B from me
Speedometer will be rather crappy in my design too, cause hardly have place in that car to put a driver in, let alone useless stuff like speedometers
I think this 787B will be a car for people like me: 1m75 tall, 60kg heavy, so just able to sqeeze in there...
Anyway, the Renault transaxle should work, and if not I get a motorsport version. Something that will hold 700+hp, and cost the price of a decent car Well, guess not...
Just a thought, but doesn't a 944 have the gearbox at the rear? Like a transaxle, only it's not bolted to the engine? Might take a look at that... You also migt try Hurley Engineering, the have put Mazda Rotaries into FWD NSU RO80, so obviously must have needed a transaxle too...

BasOlij

posted on 2/1/03 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
The 944 is an option, so is a 924, both should be able to handle the hp. But I am not sure what that will do space wise.

Also I think the Renault transaxle + adapter is the most economic friendly option. The transaxles are widely available. There are plenty to be found in cars that no longer get through the MoT and the likes that you can buy for almost nothing.

For a 944 transaxle your sure to pay several hundred euro's, the 914 transaxle goes past 1000 euro.

Greetz,

Bastiaan Olij
1984 Porsche 944 type 2
1981 Delorean DMC-12

ProjectLMP

posted on 2/1/03 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Bas,
That looks like an interesting project. I have always been a fan of GTP cars and especially like the mazda. Have you seen the following site:

http://www3.telus.net/962

The guy makes replicas of Porsche 962's.

Renault transaxles are used a lot in Ford GT40 replicas. I know of a number of people running this axle with 400hp engines. Take a look at www.gt40s.com there is quite a lot of info on tranaxles there.

Good look with the project and keep us updated.

Paul

Home of the Astronomicalcost Mid engined LMP project

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Bart Vangampelaere

posted on 2/1/03 at 03:50 PM Reply With Quote
that porsche link is exactly the one I was talking about in the e-mails, Bas...
I think you can find some ideas there.
Do keep in mind though what I said earlier by e-mail: you can not use the engine as a structural part, as is done with the Porsche. This is because of the nature of the rotary. The long bolts that keep the engine together would never be able to cope with the stress.
The suspension setup on that Porsche is more or less what I want on my replica, but as you know that's all still in a very early stage...

BasOlij

posted on 2/1/03 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
Great stuff Paul! That GT40 site has got some great info on these sortof things.

I wonder if anyone did a GT40 with a 20B in it:-)

What is that LMP you are working on? I still wonder how people will react when you drive a GT car onto the driveway:-)

Tonight I hope to have some time to do some more updates, all these sites have given me some clues on how to make my design much better so I'll be changing some things.

One more site for the rest of the interested here:

http://www.sakermotorsport.nl

owh, Bart don't worry, the frame is the structure, the engine just the propulsion, this is my first go at designing my own car so I want to keep it straight forward:-)

Greetz,

Bastiaan Olij
1984 Porsche 944 type 2
1981 Delorean DMC-12

ProjectLMP

posted on 3/1/03 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
Bas,
My project is an open cockpit LMP style car similar to a Radical SR3. It will be powered by a Suzuki Hayabusa (eventually either bored and stroked to 1500cc or with a turbo). I am about a week away from finishing the first version of my website describing the project. I will post info here when its done.

On the subject of rotary engines the following US produced CSR may be of interest to you:

http://www.diasio.com/

Take a look at the D962R

Home of the Astronomicalcost Mid engined LMP project

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
BasOlij

posted on 3/1/03 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
Hmm looking forward to your site:-)

That rotary car seems pretty cool. Not to special though, pretty much what we are trying to do. Bit more expensive though, although if Bart goes ahead with his 787B project that wont be cheap either:-)

Interesting they put a bridgeported 12A in there, not very street legal:-)

Greetz,

Bastiaan Olij
1984 Porsche 944 type 2
1981 Delorean DMC-12

Bart Vangampelaere

posted on 3/1/03 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
Bas, some people even have street legal peripheral engines... Depends on state laws. I might consider PP fo the 787B. If I ever build it... cause it will be a very long term project. If everything goes well I might give it a try next year.
BTW: everything is legal, just don't get caught

BasOlij

posted on 3/1/03 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
Very true Bart,

Anyways, I wasn't to happy with the body, it just didn't look right, so I've been looking at the pictures of similar car and desided to redo the body. Some small changes to the frame and a new body. Not finished yet but looking alot better then before! Rescued attachment MR_frame09.jpg
Rescued attachment MR_frame09.jpg

Greetz,

Bastiaan Olij
1984 Porsche 944 type 2
1981 Delorean DMC-12

BasOlij

posted on 3/1/03 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
Damn, keep putting 2002 in the pictures:-)

This is one where you can see the altered frame design (and yes, I haven't done some of the things yet I was going to put in:-)) Rescued attachment MR_frame10.jpg
Rescued attachment MR_frame10.jpg

Greetz,

Bastiaan Olij
1984 Porsche 944 type 2
1981 Delorean DMC-12

Bart Vangampelaere

posted on 3/1/03 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
Very nice work, but don't forget to drill holes in the floor to get rid of the rain now you lost the roof... It looks really different now, more race, less street. Cool job. I'm stuck now, cause I only have a low-budget software so I cannot model the body, nor refine the chassis. This is what I have up to now. Maybe you can remodel it in real 3D software someday. And add the nice body... (aswell as some decent Volk wheels too ) Rescued attachment 787Bscreenshot.jpg
Rescued attachment 787Bscreenshot.jpg

BasOlij

posted on 3/1/03 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
Hey Bart,

Looking good! I wonder though, how are you going to place the air ducts? Seems there are some bars in the way? Could be wrong though, hard to see without the body

Greetz,

Bastiaan Olij
1984 Porsche 944 type 2
1981 Delorean DMC-12

Bart Vangampelaere

posted on 3/1/03 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
I designed on top of the model drawings I've send you earlier, and used them as a background. Therfor airducts should be ok. The sidepots are made smaller , so the actual bodywork will/would have some air in between there. So some place for airducts. Only the lower left one will slightly interfear with the sidepot-bar. So a small cut-out and a painted frame would hide that. That was the most challenging part by the way, making sure I could use all the airducts... A scale model will show if my calculations are ok...
BasOlij

posted on 4/1/03 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
Oops, turned out I made a critical design error, if I had build everything like this I would not have fit in the car:-)

BIG oops. Just made everything to low. Also the radius of my tires was a little to low. Adjusted everything so a 17" and maybe even an 18" is possible. So far still basing everything on the 16" that comes with the RX7. Tire size is currently 205 wide, design should allow up to 250 to be used perfectly.

I've adjusted almost everything to more realistic messurements. As a result the car is now 1m70 wide and 3m50 long, ground clearence is still 10cm. The highest body point for the 'cabrio' is 65cm (75 above ground). With the top on the highest point will be just over 100cm (110 above ground).

Haven't adjusted everything so there are still some things missing and some faults. Rescued attachment MR_frame10_11.jpg
Rescued attachment MR_frame10_11.jpg

Greetz,

Bastiaan Olij
1984 Porsche 944 type 2
1981 Delorean DMC-12

BasOlij

posted on 4/1/03 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
How do we call this project?

BTW,

has anyone got any suggestions about naming this project?

Greetz,

Bastiaan Olij
1984 Porsche 944 type 2
1981 Delorean DMC-12

Bart Vangampelaere

posted on 4/1/03 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
Wasn't 15" the wheel size for FC's? Anyway, don't really know a name... You could call it "porsche-eater" or "PSMNA" for Pistons Make Nice Ashtrays Haha, that's the rotary nut in me... Anyway, kep me (and the others) informed on the progress you make.
BasOlij

posted on 5/1/03 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
Hey Bart,

Both 15" and 16" where available. We had 16" on our FC that we ran on the Nurburgring. I think only the later turbo's came standard with those 16" rimms.

Greetz,

Bastiaan Olij
1984 Porsche 944 type 2
1981 Delorean DMC-12

BasOlij

posted on 7/1/03 at 07:53 AM Reply With Quote
Okay, I extended the length of the car a little further. I think there will be plenty of room in the car now. I've also made the front part of the space frame a little wider. Gives me some more leg room:-) Hope I will not run into steering trouble.

I'm still not sure what to do with the back. I'm not happy with it yet. I want something that allows me to use a rear view mirror. I'm thinking of doing a roof you can remove, so make it sort of a cabrio alike thing for summer time. Suggestions are welcome here:-)

I'll see if I can extend the info on my website a little more soon. Right now there is almost no of this project so:-)

Greetz,

Bastiaan Olij
1984 Porsche 944 type 2
1981 Delorean DMC-12

Bart Vangampelaere

posted on 7/1/03 at 09:49 AM Reply With Quote
Bas, from the latest drawings I feel like your car looks a bit like the old Can Am racers. So those might be of intrest. Maybe you can take a look at some McLaren MK6 replica's for ideas. You could build an open car and have a hardtop for less nice weather. You can mount the mirror on the dash, or use a windshieldframe. Do remember that a full screen will mean wiper(s) and heating/demisting. A simple deflector would be easier, but less comfortable.
BasOlij

posted on 7/1/03 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
I don't mind figuring out the wiper thing and the heater thing. I'm thinking of building in a heater anyways because I will be using the car all year round.

I am worried about where to get a proper windshield in the first place:-)

Greetz,

Bastiaan Olij
1984 Porsche 944 type 2
1981 Delorean DMC-12

Bart Vangampelaere

posted on 7/1/03 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
Just take a look at excisting kitcars. Some of them will have something usefull. Once you decide the style of the body, just look at cars in that class, and make your design fit the windshield. That 'll be easier then the other way around.
BasOlij

posted on 7/1/03 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah but I don't know of any car that would have the kind of windshield I am looking for:-)

Here's the progress so far...... Rescued attachment MR_frame13.jpg
Rescued attachment MR_frame13.jpg

Greetz,

Bastiaan Olij
1984 Porsche 944 type 2
1981 Delorean DMC-12

Stu16v

posted on 7/1/03 at 11:16 PM Reply With Quote
How about a windscreen of one of these?

(click here).......

Dont just build it.....make it!

Rorty

posted on 8/1/03 at 04:42 AM Reply With Quote
Or even one of these? Rescued attachment flying_saucer.jpg
Rescued attachment flying_saucer.jpg

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

BasOlij

posted on 8/1/03 at 06:18 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Stu,

A windscreen from one of those would be nice but I think they are tailer made for the GTR, thats gotta be expensive:-)

But definately one to keep in mind, thanks!

Rorty, If you can get me one of those I'll redesign my car to use one of those gravity inverters aswell:-)

Greetz,

Bastiaan Olij
1984 Porsche 944 type 2
1981 Delorean DMC-12

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.