Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Introduction
BasOlij

posted on 9/1/03 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
Looking good!

Hey Everyone,

it's starting to look good! I think I'll stick with this design! Just need to start detailing it.

Will start working on a nice website for it soon since I am starting to bloat this thread with pictures:-)

Tell me what you think so far? Rescued attachment MR_frame14.jpg
Rescued attachment MR_frame14.jpg

Greetz,

Bastiaan Olij
1984 Porsche 944 type 2
1981 Delorean DMC-12

Bart Vangampelaere

posted on 9/1/03 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
So it has a roof again...
I think it lloks pretty good, but I'd either lower the roof or make the wasteline higher. Just an idea...

BasOlij

posted on 9/1/03 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
I am thinking about raising the back a bit. The actual top I am not going to finish until I have a good idea how the size in real life is. The roof may be higher then needed but it might also be that the roof is to low.

Not sure what the best way will be to test it. I am thinking about building part of the car from wood 1:1 scale to find out. They had a sale on wood the other day at Gamma so it should be cheap enough to do. Then I can deside if it is to high or to low. Also the wood frame I could complete the body work on and use it as a counter mold.

But dunne know yet, seems like an awfull lot of extra work....

Greetz,

Bastiaan Olij
1984 Porsche 944 type 2
1981 Delorean DMC-12

BasOlij

posted on 12/1/03 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
Okay now we are getting somewhere for real. Got the doors in (still need windows) and the frame is somewhat further developed now. Still need to fix some things at the engine compartment but other then that I think this is pretty much finished. Rescued attachment MR_frame15_16.jpg
Rescued attachment MR_frame15_16.jpg

Greetz,

Bastiaan Olij
1984 Porsche 944 type 2
1981 Delorean DMC-12

Bart Vangampelaere

posted on 12/1/03 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
Looks good, but you might find it easier to get in the car with different doors. When you use doors like the 787B or Ultima they'll be less in the way. These sort of cars aren't easy to get in and out anyway, so you might want to get the best result on that topic.
BasOlij

posted on 12/1/03 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
Hey Bert,

I'm not to afraid of the doors. The way I designed them to open means there are totally clear of the opening.

I haven't completely figured out how to make them stay up, probably some gas struts or something.

Greetz,

Bastiaan Olij
1984 Porsche 944 type 2
1981 Delorean DMC-12

BasOlij

posted on 30/3/03 at 09:05 AM Reply With Quote
On hold but not indefinately

Hey Guys,

Just a small update here, I had some very expensive repairs on the Delorean the past few months and things have changed.

I have desided to not take changes and I am going to go for a normal locost following the book and build it bit by bit as I have money and time available.

After that I may still get back to this project because this is really what I want to do but right now it would be irresponsible.

Anyways, with luck I should start working on a locost sometime during this summer. I probably will even go rotary:-)

Greetz,

Bastiaan Olij
1984 Porsche 944 type 2
1981 Delorean DMC-12

Alan B

posted on 30/3/03 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
Bas, sorry to hear the mid-engined project is on hold, but also glad you are still building something....and that the middy is still there in the background.

When I started mine I always wanted to build a "supercar"...kind of Ultima beater (and still do to be honest), but things like doors, windscreens, ventilation etc. always surfaced to slow me down.

Then, after building my buggy I found the Locost movement. The search was then on for suitable donors.....after what seemed like ages searching in vain (probably a month or so to be honest) I though why not do a similar budget style approach, but with a middy....

I could lose the doors, the screen and so on and have a "simple" build. The rest is history as they say...

Anyway, good luck...at least you'll be building something.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
BasOlij

posted on 30/3/03 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
Hey Alan,

The difference is, you already build a number of things:-) I'll certainly go back to the midengined concept eventually, I just first want to build something where most of the questions are answered, following the book wherever I can, only deviating there where needed because I want to go single donor and have a different engine choice.

If I do that successfully, then I am ready to design something myself

Greetz,

Bastiaan Olij
1984 Porsche 944 type 2
1981 Delorean DMC-12

Bart Vangampelaere

posted on 31/3/03 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
Well Bas, even if you want to go Locost first, which I believe is a good idea for a first time builder (like you, or me ) anyway, you still could go mid-engined .
To most imoprtant thing to get a powerfull, sporty and entertaining car would be power to weight ratio. So the car must be kept lightweight. No roof, nor doors would make the build not only simpler, but also cheaper. And a lot is possible on the Seven-like chassis, looking at the caterham 21 (which of course is not a Locost at all) If you design the car to have the cockpit further up front you can put that rotary engine (remember: it is VERY compact) behind you, a bit in the style of the old Auto Unions...
My project hasn't even started, yet got cancelled again... After finding the Belgian MOT doesn't agree with 225/50/15 tires on my 1982 RX7, nor with the lowered suspension (still driveable, don't hit the streets or anything), I cannot see how the are going to allow a self build car.
It is possible, but right now, finding out the laws in Belgium, and how to make the best of them, is priority. If I can find a legal way to build and register a self-build Locost, I will go ahead. Otherway, I might just aswell move, I hate this over-regulated country! Need any train drivers in the UK?

BasOlij

posted on 31/3/03 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
Hey Bart,

Nah I'll go standard RWD first. Experience is what I need now:-)

I hope the APK and RDW laws in Holland stay the way they are for now. If I take to long building this car I may also run into the same problems as the European Union seems to be keen on making selfbuild cars an impossibility.

Greetz,

Bastiaan Olij
1984 Porsche 944 type 2
1981 Delorean DMC-12

cymtriks

posted on 6/4/03 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
I have done a finite element analysis of several car chassis and I would suggest the following for your mid engined design.

The engine bay will need some diagonal braces. Take a look at tube R on the lowcost plans or at the Y brace on the Lotus 23 chassis for ideas. Two diagonals, one on each side of the engine bay are much better than one.

Don't use that bent tube on the outside of the chassis running from the passenger region to the engine bay. The bend is a bad idea as far as chassis stiffness is concerned.

The tunnel down the centre of the chassis probably does not contribute much. The lowcost chassis is certainly better if the tunnel tubes are replaced with a simple sheet steel welded tunnel with minimal internal bracing.

You may be better off, weight for weight, with a ladder frame. The massive superiority assumed for spaceframes is just hype. Most spaceframes are actually less stiff than a well designed ladder frame due to inadequate triangulation. With additional triangulation and some minor redesign it is possible to double the stiffness of the lowcost book chassis, reduce the number of tubes and reduce weight aswell.

I have written my analysis results, which cover several types of chassis, into a Word document which I could e-mail to you if you want.

Good luck with building your car.

Bart Vangampelaere

posted on 6/4/03 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
I would be intrested in some chassis anylises, for future projects.
I'm planning a locost type car for the (rather) near future, to practice skills, but would like to build a more serious car after that, so any ideas are welcome (mid engined car, rotary powered, ...)

BasOlij

posted on 6/4/03 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
yeah I would like that analysis aswell, the MR project has been postponed for awhile but it always helps getting info

Send me a private message ok?

Greetz,

Bastiaan Olij
1984 Porsche 944 type 2
1981 Delorean DMC-12

Deltonhall

posted on 21/4/03 at 02:08 AM Reply With Quote
Introduction

Hi there , my name is Paul.
I intend to daydream about building a small midengined car(thou i think it would be imposible to get it registred in germany) ((

but ...............one never knows ;o))

hope to learn a good deal from you ...

later Paul

Alan B

posted on 21/4/03 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Paul,

Did you check out my site?

http://www.desicodesign.com/meerkat/

May be of some interest.

Alan

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Bart Vangampelaere

posted on 21/4/03 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Deltonhall
(thou i think it would be imposible to get it registred in germany) ((

Well, it'd be easier in Germany then in Belgium! It is possible to register selfbuild or seriously altered cars in Germany.
But to find out the exact regulations you should contact the TUV.
Overhere rules are easy: nothing is allowed So to get a kit-car or selfbuild car registered I'd have to get it through SVA or TUV and then import it to Belgium!

Deltonhall

posted on 21/4/03 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Alan ,
thats the place I came here from..... :o))
realy great stuff.
My intetion would be to go very much smaller,something like honda S800 or Suzuki Cappuccino (just midengined)or a smart roadster.
my opinion is that you dont need a lot of horsepower to have fun.
but it seems hard to find a suitible donor.
I thought of using a bike engine,but how to make it reverese?
and after all it should not cost a lot because it ´s all never going to see a road(legaly at last).
any thoughts welcome.... ;o))

later Paul

TheGecko

posted on 21/4/03 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Deltonhall
My intention would be to go very much smaller,something like honda S800 or Suzuki Cappuccino (just midengined) or a smart roadster.
my opinion is that you dont need a lot of horsepower to have fun.

Paul,

As the owner of 7 different S600's and S800's over the years (not all of them complete and running I admit) I agree completely that you don't need a lot of power to have fun. A reasonable power-to-weight ratio and a well tuned chassis will be much more fun than an unmanageable monster with a huge engine.

I'm intending to start construction on my mid-engined car in the next month or so and will probably use a current model Corolla engine (1.8l 1ZZ-FE) because local registration laws mean I must comply with the same emissions laws as new production cars

If I wasn't constrained by those rules I would look very seriously at the 1.3l Suzuki motors (G13B I think) which are light and quite powerful. A motorcycle engine would be nice but, as you say, transmission issues complicate it a lot. When BMW made a bike engined show car (the Just 4/2 - see link) they connected the K100 motor to a conventional transverse FWD gearbox. That trick would be a lot harder with most other bike motors unfortunately.

Good luck with your project.

Dominic
Brisbane, Australia
http://www.DIYSportsCar.org

Bart Vangampelaere

posted on 21/4/03 at 02:27 PM Reply With Quote
Just check some of the bike powered kit cars around these days. No problem at all to get a reverse! You keep using the bike gearbox for the forward gears (you even get sequential shift with them!) and a reverse gearbox extra. That really isn't an issue to worry about. Different models are available, so you'll just have to find the one that suits your concept/budget best.
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.