Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: What do ya think of these?
Dean

posted on 22/1/04 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
What do ya think of these?

I think there cool. Since it's so hard to find decent race tracks in northamerica..... make your own . click here only weighs 300kg. Iam thinking it would be preety good to terrorize the country side ...... LOOK OUT !!! Would be fun to race on a home made dirt track on someones farm or acreage (no road to rules). How about registering it? Would it be hard? It's scratch built like true locost, but is reverse needed to pass? also click here
Alan B

posted on 22/1/04 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
Yep, I like them...

I wonder what Rorty thinks?....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Alan B

posted on 22/1/04 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
Speaking of Rorty....check out his stuff..

Pretty damn cool...you'll like it..

Oh yeah....the link..

http://home.iprimus.com.au/rorty/content/home.htm

[Edited on 22/1/04 by Alan B]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Dean

posted on 22/1/04 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
I was planing on building a locost but after watching some of thoese videos Iam leaninig more towards thoese buggies. In reality there are little to no race tracks in canada and even less open to the public. But what canada has alot of is space..... alot of space. I would have no problem finding room to race the buggies and the thought of getting big air doesn't hurt either. Plus frozen lakes seem to be a big playground for that thing (but i guess i should leave to the snowmobile?). Go as fast as you want and no speeding tickets. Oh yeah I could get use to that.

[Edited on 22/1/04 by Dean]

fia289

posted on 23/1/04 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
small track..

Dean, where in Canada are you located ?

Here in montreal we have one that has lapping session every monday and tuesday night...

I would suggest to look for a local solo club, since they organise events they could point you to whats available locally

In my case I'm planing on building a terrapin, got the book, plans on there way...

Fred

[Edited on 23/1/04 by fia289]

[Edited on 23/1/04 by fia289]

fia289

posted on 23/1/04 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
Back to the subject, yhea they are cool, but dirt ain't my thing yet

They do have solutions to some of our build problems

Fred

Dean

posted on 23/1/04 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
I live in Red Deer Alberta, between calgary and edmonton.
fia289

posted on 23/1/04 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
Dean Check out these two clubs..

http://www.bishop.ab.ca/CSCC/

http://www.telusplanet.net/%7Ejamiefox/

The calgary club even organises some solo 2 races in Red Deer ( not as fast as Solo 1, but still a good challenge)

Fred

Dean

posted on 23/1/04 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
just wondering which class would a locost fall under in the CSCC race classifications?
click here Gt i hope

violentblue

posted on 23/1/04 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
Hey I'm located in Lethbridge, Alberta

a few pics of my other projects

Dean

posted on 23/1/04 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
small world, and a cold one too. At least here anyway, did it snow in lethbridge? It did in Red Deer, kinda a bummer.
fia289

posted on 24/1/04 at 02:26 AM Reply With Quote
Racing

I don't think they'll let you road race in GT, but then again , how confortable are you rubbing fenders with a 3000lbs mustang ?

You'll be able to run in solo 1 and 2 with the locost, its almost the perfect car for both types of racing. I don't understand why there's so few of them being built for this.

Fred

[Edited on 24/1/04 by fia289]

MattWatson

posted on 26/1/04 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
As for the Edge off-road products, they are actually fairly good, and look to be great fun. I researched their stuff when I did some work with www.extremebuggies.com once upon a time, and their plans are excellent.

Like the locost, most of the problem is deciding how you are going to build everything else but the frame!

Matt Watson
--------------------------------
VW 1.6L SOHC Turbo Mid engined car

http://members.shaw.ca/wavindustries/

MattWatson

posted on 26/1/04 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
Also, if you are interested in this type of thing,

http://www.badlandbuggy.com/

does the same thing, but is centered in Calgary.

If you end up getting anything from him (he has poly bushes at VERY good prices) mention you heard it from Matt Watson.

Matt Watson
--------------------------------
VW 1.6L SOHC Turbo Mid engined car

http://members.shaw.ca/wavindustries/

Rorty

posted on 27/1/04 at 05:10 AM Reply With Quote
Alan B:
quote:

I wonder what Rorty thinks?....

Actually I know Tony Sanger, the owner of The Edge Products that design and make of those buggies. They're in Perth in Western Australia, about 3 days from here.
Tony freely admits his designs are really just for recreational bush-bashing, and aren't up to the rigours of serious off-roading or racing.
That's why he doesn't actually build most of the designs, as there would probably be too many disasters and complaints. The chassis are pretty minimalistic: the front upright, for example, is just a bit of black pipe with a long bolt through it!
He sees it as easier to just sell the plans and supply some of the parts, and let people make their own mistakes.
They rely on too many industrial drive parts to be serious contenders.
They would probably be ideal on a frozen lake though, as you'd really just try to set it up with fairly stiff suspension and not worry about too much travel.

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.