Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Braked towing dolly
MK9R

posted on 6/1/09 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
Braked towing dolly

Used this to tow my ST all over the place. Its the narrow kind with small wheels which holds the towed cars front wheels above dolly wheels.

2 brand new 6 ply tyres
3 spare wheels and tyres
ramps
winch
It looks a bit tatty and could do with a lick of paint but tows brilliantly and all the important bits work perfectly

£180

Will be sticking it on ebay next week.

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

Is this a TRADE ADVERTISEMENT?? Click HERE to report it!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Dangle_kt

posted on 6/1/09 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
This confuses the hell out of me, are these legal or not?

I'm interested, if it is, do you have pics? Where is it in the country?

Normally I'd be tempted to chance it, but my car is a company car and I can't risk their insurance not paying out in case of a crash!

dave1888

posted on 6/1/09 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
I used an unbraked tow dolly to bring a mx5 up from Carlisle to Livingston on the M6/M74 2 police cars overtook me and never stopped so i would say they are legal, that or they couldn't be arsed stopping me.
dhutch

posted on 6/1/09 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dangle_kt
This confuses the hell out of me, are these legal or not?

They can be used "for the recovery of broken down vehicles" I beleave.
- How this translate to actuall allow usage i dont know?
- Have also heard of them being limited to 40mph on a m.way?

Daniel

coozer

posted on 6/1/09 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
They are illegal for us as they are intended for recovery only.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

matt_claydon

posted on 6/1/09 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
They are legally for recovery only, the reason the police didn't stop you is that most of them don't know the rules on minor/rare issues like this. When you have an accident you can be sure someone's lawyer will.

This issue comes up on here practically every month.

Trems

posted on 6/1/09 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
Any pics?

www.tR3M5.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dinosaurjuice

posted on 6/1/09 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
i can confirm that articulated towing (dollies etc) are for recovery and emergency use only.

saying that i doubt most police people know the relevant laws.

will121

posted on 6/1/09 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
A towing dolly generally for recovery only, as considdered a trailer and then all wheels must be braked ( not only the dolly wheels but the rear wheels of the car being recovered) so by definition it is not a braked trailer - unless being towed by a heavy vehicle when may get away within the un-braked capacity of the towing vehicle stated by the manufacture

i have also heard of a towing dolly which in addition to the brakes on the towing dolly also has a servo which applies the fot brake of the towed vehicle which is then ment to be legal.

Saying all that there are plenty of dollys in use and i bet not all are recovering broken down vehicles!

MakeEverything

posted on 6/1/09 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
But if you havent got any other way of transporting your pride and joy the 75miles to the track day, then it is an emergency..!!

quote:
Originally posted by dinosaurjuice
i can confirm that articulated towing (dollies etc) are for recovery and emergency use only.

saying that i doubt most police people know the relevant laws.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

chrisspartan

posted on 6/1/09 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
Just wondering how the Motorhomes towing minis and other little cars get away with it then? or is it different when all 4 wheels are on the ground. Motorhome drivers are quite a law abiding bunch??
GregSL75

posted on 6/1/09 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
If you go on a motorhome forum you'll find it's a constant source of debate.

But the general concensus is that it's illegal because as said above any wheels touching the road have to be braked if over 750kg MAM and every car (other than a certain french Aixam model) has a total maximum weight over 750kg even if they weigh way under that kerb weight. If you tow a Mini on an A-Frame then the Mini is a trailer and its manufacturer's plate says it's rated for 1200kg or similar.

The systems that tie into the brakes and use them are not legal because car brakes don't comply with the law for trailer brakes!

2.0 XE on GSXR TBs and Megasquirt

GregSL75

posted on 6/1/09 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
A-Frame / Dolly link from the National Trailer and Towing Association.

quote:

I have a motor home and want to tow a Fiat Seicento behind it using an A-frame. This car has a kerb weight under 750 kg so am I legal with this outfit? Sorry no is the answer. The law regards this as an unbraked trailer and you are allowed to tow up to 750 kg Gross Trailer Weight, not a car’s kerb weight. The figure you have to use is the car’s Gross Vehicle Weight or Maximum Permitted Weight. This is usually at least 300 - 400 kg more than the kerb weight. We have no knowledge of any car sold in the UK that has a GVW under 750 kg. The only vehicle we know that is completely legal to tow with an A-frame is the French Aixam small "car". This is a full four seater and details can be obtained from Aixam UK on 01926 886100. An A-frame or dolly can only be used to recover a broken down vehicle to a place of safety. Transporting a car is, therefore, illegal. A-frames may be offered with a braking system that applies the car's brakes. These do not conform to the law as the car then becomes a "braked trailer" and has to conform to European Directives contained within the Construction and Use Regulations. It does not conform to the European Directive 71/320/EEC and amendments regarding braking requirements in any way. The use of this A-frame for transportation is illegal. It is still OK for use to recover a vehicle to a place of safety.

Also the law on trailers says that even if the trailer IS under 750kg MAM if the wheels are braked then they must work, so I reckon even that Aixam would be illegal, or a 7 plated to 750kg etc.

You could build a 7 with auto reverse trailer brakes and plate it to 750kg

[Edited on 6/1/09 by GregSL75]

2.0 XE on GSXR TBs and Megasquirt

zilspeed

posted on 6/1/09 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
As stated earlier in the thread, you better believe that if it comes to an accident where soemone can put the bite on you, their lawyer will definitely know the law.

I personally have knowledge of someone who used to use one and the police did stop him, told him the proper use of a dolly and advised him to stop using the dolly.

Your choice...

My own choice is a four wheeled trailer.

MK9R

posted on 7/1/09 at 07:15 AM Reply With Quote
Yes its a grey area. I think what makes it even more grey is that when towing the 7 the weight is under 750kg, so no need for any of the wheels to be braked.

I didn't think i could get a trailer on my drive so bought it and have towed it a few thousand miles and never been stopped. Its very easy to store when not being used due to its size. I'll get some pictures up at the weekend when i can get some daylight

[Edited on 7/1/09 by MK9R]

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.