Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Reverse Solution
motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 26/2/09 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
Reverse Solution

Basic kit from AB Performance (cheers Andy) NB: I have no connection with the guy, just thought you might like to see an electric reverse installed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wU6cBjgW1cY

Oh, and the last class record of the SW Sprint season 2008 to fall to the giant killing GSXR750:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25WH6313Ec4

Mr Whippy

posted on 26/2/09 at 02:38 PM Reply With Quote
That’s good but where does the passengers bum go then?

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mr_pr

posted on 26/2/09 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
Am I missing something...

If it requires two hands to operate, how do you steer?

Or is that button supposed to be operated by your knee?

[Edited on 26/2/09 by mr_pr]

My Build Progress

matt_gsxr

posted on 26/2/09 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
its a race series requirement, so its not necessary for it to be useful.

A bit like a rear view mirror for SVA

Matt

owelly

posted on 26/2/09 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
I must also be missing something. Why not use a pre-engaged starter motor or just mount the button behind the lever so the lever operates it when it's pulled??

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Davey D

posted on 26/2/09 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
Thats just how mine works.. except mine is all tucked away neatly in the centre tunnel.. Mine also spins slower than that, so is a bit more controlable.

my lever is on a linkage, so the lever is right at the front of the tunnel, with the button next to it. all you do is push the lever with the palm of your hand, and press the button with your thumb.

As show in the picture - the lever with the red button next to it

zilspeed

posted on 26/2/09 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
Does it work ?

mr henderson

posted on 26/2/09 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by motorcycle_mayhem

Oh, and the last class record of the SW Sprint season 2008 to fall to the giant killing GSXR750:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25WH6313Ec4

Nice video, shame about the ghastly sound track

minitici

posted on 26/2/09 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
Sierra Chain Drive Differentia
Sierra Chain Drive Differentia

Or if you are building a middy or single seater you need one of my chain drive electric reverse systems

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 26/2/09 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
The chain drive solution gives you lots of space and nice gear diameters. That one looks great, as does the myriad of others from the R1ot, Jedi, etc. I love chain drive.
Thanks for the comments, I thought I'd show the solution to my exploding gearbox problem, but I now feel I need to address some of the feedback:
Yep, I've made operation of it very difficult, in fact, virtually impossible unless a scrutineer instructs me to demonstrate that the car moves backwards. There's an isolator on the starter motor feed too at the front of the tunnel, you can't, or at least I can't, see anyway of unintentional operation.
The 'kit' from AB will go neatly anywhere you can get it in, so yep, it'll go in from the top. You then need to (perhaps) move the handbrake out of the way if it's on the tunnel top, or a host of other paraphenalia, depending on what you've got and what diff (etc.) is in the car. On the road, you could conceivably even fit it underneath if running reasonable ground clearance. The joy of kit cars, anything is possible. Joy of the AB kit is that it IS a standalone unit that you can adapt, off the shelf. For me, hanging it on the side was where it had to go, lots of room, low down, out of the way of anything.
There is no current MSA requirement for a passenger to be carried. This means that the footwell can be full of electrical stuff and other bits. There is a requirement for a passenger seat in road-going, so the seat will still fit amongst the stuff for that class, in fact, it'll go alongside the reverse too. No fat chicks I guess!
First and last time I carried a passenger (Cadwell Park trackday) she wasn't ever going to repeat the experience. Mind you, I did break a collar bone and 2 ribs

Davey D

posted on 27/2/09 at 11:07 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zilspeed
Does it work ?

Mine?

yeah it works great. it takes a little while to get used to becuse it feels like when you start you car in gear how it jumps to start with, but then its fine.

just need to make sure you battery has plenty of juice, and you hold a few revs on whilst reversing due to the amount of current drawn by the motor. If my battery is low, then the engine stalls when using it. ive got it cabled up with cable thats about as thick as my little finger so that there will be no problems with the cable overheating/melting from the current

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.