Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Starter motor issues - redtop
GregSL75

posted on 18/4/09 at 08:05 AM Reply With Quote
Starter motor issues - redtop

Over the last few months the redtop in my Autograss class 9 has become harder to start.

The starter was just spinning over but not turning the engine, then occasionally it would catch and turn over, but sometimes even then seemed to throw itself back out.

I tried another second hand one yesterday of unknown status and had the same problem. Both pulled in and span perfectly on the bench off the car, leading me to believe that I may have a problem with the flywheel or ringgear etc.

So i spent ages taking of the gearbox and clutch to see that both starters do in fact engage fine, the pinion gear throws in great and engages with the ring gear, but the motor is just spinning freely inside the starter and not turning the engine.

Have I just got 2 dud motors or is there something else going on here?

Strangely the problem gets A LOT better once the car has warmed up, to the point where it took 10 minutes to start the other week, but once warmed started every 2nd or 3rd attempt.

I've stripped one down and it's difficult to understand the one way bit of the pinion rotation, i.e how it catches when being turned by the motor, but freewheels when the engine drives it faster. On the bench it feels correct though, turns in one direction and fixed the other...

Help!!

2.0 XE on GSXR TBs and Megasquirt

GregSL75

posted on 18/4/09 at 08:09 AM Reply With Quote
Also, strangely when driving it with a half flat battery and leads instead of the installed battery, it seems more likely to engage, as if the lower voltage / motor speed is affecting it somehow.. Could be a red herring though

2.0 XE on GSXR TBs and Megasquirt

nitram38

posted on 18/4/09 at 08:09 AM Reply With Quote
I may be way off here, but how is the timing on the engine?
I used to have old fords that would not start if the ignition was too far retarded.
Worth checking.

tomgregory2000

posted on 18/4/09 at 08:58 AM Reply With Quote
Do you have good earths?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.