Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sandwitch plate adapter for 5VY R1 - where from?
Gergely

posted on 26/5/09 at 05:02 AM Reply With Quote
Sandwitch plate adapter for 5VY R1 - where from?

Hi, does anyone know where I could get a sandwitch plate adapter to fit between the oil filter and the block on a Yamaha R1 5VY? Apparently the usual Mocal, etc. adapters are too large to fit the block.
We want to run an oil cooler and are looking for a suitable sandwitch plate (The oil filter thread is 20mm x 1,5), preferably with a built in thermostat.
Thanks for any tips!
Gergely

Our build pictures

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ko_racer

posted on 26/5/09 at 08:05 AM Reply With Quote
We use the Mocal one on our 5VY engine.

You are better off getting a take of plate rather than a sandwich plate.
Take off the oil/water cooler, get one of the threaded inserts that is used to hold the oil filter on and use that to hold the take of plate on the old oil cooler location.

I think we may have had to machine or grind off a tiny part of the take off plate to get it to fit.

Think automotive do all the parts you'd need. So do Merlin and demon tweekes.

Sandwich Plate

Cover Plate

Yamaha Part -
90401-20145-00 BOLT, UNION

I'd advise on using JIC connectors not barbed ones when you plumb this in due to the high pressures involved.

You'll have to cut this union down slightly as the threat is too long.

Works really nicely.

[Edited on 26/5/09 by ko_racer]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Gergely

posted on 26/5/09 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks ko_racer4
Just so that I understand:
You leave the oil filter as it is, on the block.
You take off the oil/water cooler and fit the Mocal sandwich plate PLUS the cover plate?
Then you run the oil lines from the sandwich plate to the oil cooler?
Sorry if I don't quite get it...
Thanks!
Gergely

Our build pictures

ko_racer

posted on 26/5/09 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
Yes that's it.

Regards

keith

ko_racer

posted on 26/5/09 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
Don't suppose you can send me the details on the breather mods etc that you have done to your engine.

Another thing we have seen while racing these engine is that you need to use CR10EK rather than CR9EK's especially if you don't have a good cold air source for the intake

Johneturbo

posted on 26/5/09 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
Link to the breather mod
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=113841

Gergely

posted on 26/5/09 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
Why do you use the different spark plugs?
We have a Pipercross airbox with a feed from the nose (cold air). Are we OK with the CR9EK then?
Thanks!

Our build pictures

a4gom

posted on 26/5/09 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
Would be good if you could put together a comprehensive list of the required parts for the oil cooler when you do it, maybe get some pictures.

We've two engines which we will probably do shortly, with a list of bits it would make it a lot easier, only variable will be the length of hoses to get it to the nose cone.

What size cooler are people using?

What do you do with the water hoses which would have connected to the original cooler? Join together or just block off?

Andy

Perfect planning prevents pi$$ poor performance!

ko_racer

posted on 27/5/09 at 07:41 AM Reply With Quote
We have moved to the colder plugs as we have detonated the top end of 4 engines now. It burns a hole between two of the cylinders. Mainly on hot days.

A few engine tuners recommended this after seeing the damage as one of the many things we did to counteract this damage.

The Yamaha race kit also specs 10 plugs (colder) albeit very expensive ones

I'd say use the 10's, especially if on track, we've found no negative reason for using colder plugs, starting and idling just as easy.

a4gom

posted on 27/5/09 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
Interesting find? Here, selling for $150 surely someone can make these for us for less? Lump of ali and 20 mins on the lathe / milling machine.

Andy

Perfect planning prevents pi$$ poor performance!

Gergely

posted on 27/5/09 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
Yes, I have seen that, too, but can't exactly justify the price...

The one thing I don't understand is the difference between a sandwich plate and a takeoff plate. They would both fit on the oil filter thread and have the possibility to fit the oil filter on the other side, or run a remote oil filter using a cap of some sort.
What am I missing?

Gergely

Our build pictures

Gergely

posted on 27/5/09 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
ko_racer, can you please post a picture of your take off plate on the engine? That would help me so much better than descriptions.
Thanks!
Gergely

Our build pictures

ko_racer

posted on 27/5/09 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
I can't really get a photo as it's positioned right out of the way in my car.

The sandwich plate and is part of the the take off plate.
It's a Sandwich plate if you fit it between the engine and filter and a Take off plate if you use the cover and bolt it on the old oil cooler location.

It fits just like the one in the link in the post above. Just not $150.

From memory we had to remove a little metal to make it fit, but all very simple.

We didn't use it on the filter as a sandwich plate due to space restrictions and tidyness. Not sure the castings on the block would let it fit their either.

kjouk

posted on 27/5/09 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
This http://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p13398/BILLET-SANDWICH- PLATE-1/2BSP/product_info.html is the one I have fitted as a sandwich plate. There is not enough backspace to allow it to go over the M20 filter adapter thread flange and sit flat. I reduced the adapter flange size so it would fit.

You have to fit the plate at a angle that makes it foul on the water line coming from under the prop adapter area. I just removed the tube, cut down and added a flexible pipe to make it easier.

See if I can sort some pics later.

Kev

P.S. Anyone running a clutch oil line on a R1?

Gergely

posted on 10/6/09 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
We have received our take-off plate and it fits with the slight cutting / filing of the M20 union that will hold it in place.
The take-off plate itself fits nicely in place of the oil cooler.
I think this is what we will go for!

Thanks ko_racer!

(Please note the engine is the damaged one and the take-offf plate is only trial fitted on it...)

Oil cooler take-off
Oil cooler take-off

Our build pictures

gaz_gaz

posted on 7/5/13 at 04:14 PM Reply With Quote
Do you use the original oil cooler fixing/bolt to hold the sandwich plate and cover in place?
-matt

posted on 24/5/13 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
Just done this, in place of the oil cooler, a couple of tips for anyone who does this.

1: if you have trouble getting hold of the correct union (threaded on both ends) then get the original long bolt that held the cooler on, cut off the threaded end, now use some strong thread lock, and half insert the threaded section onto the standard union you get with the sandwich plate, you know have a union to fit the sandwich plate.

2: this is the bit which almost caused me a major heart attack, as my oil pressure gauge would not show pressure!

The oil cooler oil flow is the opposite to the oil filter, as with the oil filter the oil comes from around the side through the filter then through the centre union and in to the engine.

Now with the cooler it's the opposite the oil comes through the centre then goes back through the side into the engine.

And don't try and fit a second oil filter here instead of a cover plate, as the oil won't flow backwards through the filter, or not at any speed anyway.

My only worry here is I don't know where the oil goes in the engine once it's gone back in through where the cooler was, does anyone know if it's connected to the oil galleries?, or does it just drain back to the sump?

Just I've got my accusump connected here, and would be a bit pointless if it just drained back into the sump?

TimC

posted on 24/5/13 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
Alternatively...

[Edited on 24/5/13 by TimC]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.