Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: New User Looking to buy & Build MK Indy R Kit
tdbracing

posted on 15/6/09 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
New User Looking to buy & Build MK Indy R Kit

Hello

Me (Danny) & my Dad ( Trevor) are looking to buy and build a MK Indy R with R1 engine.

Has anyone got any feedback regarding MK getting through IVA and the big question, bike or car engine!

Also we have been made aware that the MK dosent come with a mamual and the best way to get a comprehesive guide to building one is this website.

Is MK The way forward??

StevieB

posted on 15/6/09 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
Welcome to the madhouse!

I've just finished building an R1 Indy (non R version).

What I would say is look at the other options before you make up your mind - everyone has their own favourite but have a look at the UK manufacturers listing on totalkitcar.com for a fairly thorough list of the kit manufacturers ou there.

As far as engine choice goes, this is another ongoing debate as to which is best - I was once told that a bec is just a car for a hooligan around a track. That's why I have an R1 engine...

Stuart_B

posted on 15/6/09 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
hi, well i brought a mk indy delux kit, from mk. as you said the mk manual is not good, but if you come on here and ask the question you need on here.

engine choice is depends on what you want the car to do or age. well as i am 17 i went for a 1.6 pinto running on bike carbs.

stuart

black mk indy, 1.6pinto on cbr600 bike carb's.

macspeedy

posted on 15/6/09 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
if you havent been out in a bec engined car then try one.. and save yourself changing your mind once youve fitted a car engine... wish i had...

Mac

tdbracing

posted on 15/6/09 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
Bloody hell that really looks like my cat!!

thanks for the web address, i will check that out.

Mk def looks great and has much better lines than the rest. we were going to get a RH but the quality looked rubbish and the owners didnt have alot good to say about them.

How long did it take to build

DRC INDY 7

posted on 15/6/09 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
Yep big thumbs up for mk mine is a 1640 pinto on zx6r bikecarbs

Dont get a rhood they are as crap as they look and cost more in the long run worth less in the end

https://www.facebook.com/groups/462610273778799/

Puddle Dodgers Club

tdbracing

posted on 15/6/09 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
loving the lpower sliding kid.

what does the car engine go like? i bet it still goes like stink

I am no Hamilton and a bec is fast, maybe too fast, dont want to be biting lampost.

scotlad
Contributor

Posts 781
Registered 30/9/03
Location Edinburgh

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built MK Indy Blade, RH 2b Zetec, rebuilding locos

posted on 15/6/09 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
Hi tdb and welcome to the forum. Where abouts are you? Put your home town in your profile and you'll probably get offers for shots in bec and cec to help make up your mind. I second Mr Macspeedy ^ a shot in a bec will blow you away- enough that i built an MK Indy Blade after a test shot of MK's demo car!

Wonderous is our great blue ship that sails around the mighty sun, and joy to everyone that rides along!

tdbracing

posted on 15/6/09 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
Thank for the hint - home page updated.

If anyone wants to help us make up our mind by taking us out for a shot then dont be shy

we are looking to go to MK to be shown around and hopefully get a deal!!

StevieB

posted on 15/6/09 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
My Indy's taken 3 years to build, though my wife insisted on having a baby soon afetr I started, which is the main reason for the delay as the little tykes sap all of your time and money.

The main problem people seem to experience with the mk is that the bodywork can be a bit of a pig to get right - for me the grp quality wasn't up to scratch and the joint between the rear panel and sides is very poor. However, I believe they're looking at sorting it out.

With regard to engine choic, bear in mind that IVA will require you to have a reverse gear. The Indy will pass setaing/interior wise as when I went to my SVA they'd just receivd the IVA kit and the guy was keen to see it in practice, so I assembled it for him and he used it on my car - passed new regs no problems.

omega0684

posted on 15/6/09 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
imho, BEC are great for a bit of track day fun but unpractical for road use. they are very loud and end up screaming at you all the time, ears ringing like nobody's business, don't get me wrong they are very fast, but can be uncomfortably quick if you get what i mean,the other thing i don't like about BEC's is the clunking when gear changing!

i prefer the CEC as you car enjoy the sound of the engine more. the ride is more comfortable and they are much more drivable out on the open road.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Stuart_B

posted on 15/6/09 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
hi, it took me to build mine in about a year.

here is a picture of mine, to help your choice of coulour: bubble screen fitted
bubble screen fitted

stuart

tdbracing

posted on 15/6/09 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
we are torn on this and its a big deal

its alot of money, get a bec and you could end up with hearing problems and whiplash but get a cec and wish you had more power,

in terms of usage I guess we will be 60/40 track to road.

tdbracing

posted on 15/6/09 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
hi stuart

that looks the bollocks!!

whats the performance like with th 1.6 pinto and whats this about bike carbs?

twybrow

posted on 15/6/09 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by omega0684
imho, BEC are great for a bit of track day fun but unpractical for road use. they are very loud and end up screaming at you all the time, ears ringing like nobody's business, don't get me wrong they are very fast, but can be uncomfortably quick if you get what i mean,the other thing i don't like about BEC's is the clunking when gear changing!

i prefer the CEC as you car enjoy the sound of the engine more. the ride is more comfortable and they are much more drivable out on the open road.

Alex, go and stand in the corner, and think about what you just said. You can come and play again when you come to your senses!

tdbracing

posted on 15/6/09 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
stevieb

whats the noise level like with th R1 can you get past the screaming ?

s2gse

posted on 15/6/09 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
i have a mk indy with gsxr1000 ( could not wait so i purchased a used one direct from mk and so glad i did )

yes its loud
yes its a nightmare in traffic on the clutch
yes my back kills for two days after

but when ever i drive it i have a smile from ear to ear
the most fun on four wheels

life's to short and so was the drive

macspeedy

posted on 15/6/09 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
cec have but the power when you need it and i had great fun on track with my pinto powered one, which is a good starting point, but i always liked the simple light all ready to go f'in mental bike powered units..

if its 60 track then i would have already made my mind up and even think about a rose jointed chassis...

check out my vids on this link

linky

[Edited on 15/6/09 by macspeedy]

Hellfire

posted on 15/6/09 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
Have a read of our build and rebuild diaries. Should give you some idea of whats involved in building an Indy. Although it's not the Indy R, the method is the same.

BTW, definitely go BEC.

Phil

StevieB

posted on 15/6/09 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tdbracing
stevieb

whats the noise level like with th R1 can you get past the screaming ?

No worse than an R1 bike with a sports can - wearing a helmet most of the time, so just a set of ear plugs required, exactly the same as bikers use.

I will say that it takes some getting used the the high revs, but in a good way - R1 makes peak power at 10,000 and goes on to about 11,500.

as said though, it depends where you want to use it most and for what purpose - I have an elise that ticks all the required boxes for rapid road driving.

tdbracing

posted on 15/6/09 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
thanks macspeedy/hellfire

smart vids on both!!

Im being drawn to the power of the darkside

bec looks as fast as light!!

phoenix70

posted on 15/6/09 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
There are a few option for car engines that will give you more than enough power to have some fun, you don't need to go bike engined. Just try and fully cost you chosen engine, there can be a number of hidden cost involved with both choices.

As other have said, think what you going to use the car for before choosing your engine, for mainly track use, go BEC, for road use, stick to CEC.

Just to end with a controversial note, have a search on the forum for crashed cars and count how many BEC's have been crashed compared to CEC's... they may be a lot of fun to drive, but when a BEC bites, its sore.

Steve Hignett

posted on 15/6/09 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
I don't know why people say that you have to go BEC - That's just not the case, you can do one of three things:

1. Put a car engine in, then change it during the build and waste a load of money...

2. Put a car engine in and change it as soon as you are on the road, wasting a shed load of money...

3. Put a Bike engine in and enjoy the build, love the driving and pee on everything else on a trackday (inc supercars...)

RK

posted on 15/6/09 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
But what about reverse, needed for IVA? Is this an option that is easy to install? This may add quite a bit to cost.

Never driven either, so not stirring the pot!

Stuart_B

posted on 16/6/09 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
hi, i think the perfomance is good, it allectration is great. but if you go car, go for a 2.0 straight away, maybe vauxhaull red top, or zetec, that way you have the same power, if not more than a bike engine, it it will not expolde your ear drums.lol

and you have revese.

stuart

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.