Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: R1 Thermo Unit - Confusion.
Nosbod

posted on 7/8/09 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
R1 Thermo Unit - Confusion.

I have a 2000 5JJ Carb'd R1 and am not 100% sure with which is the correct thermo Unit to use. I am fairly sure after reading through the haynes manual that the one for my engine is a combined sender and fan switch called a "Thermo Unit", not to be confused with "Temperature sender", "Fan Switch" and "Temperature Sensor" which appear on other models. The question is can anyone confirm whether this is the correct one with Yamaha Part number 5JJ-83591-00 and in the following picture ....thermo

Finally, if it is the correct unit, where is the ideal place to put it in the cooling system?

Thanks in advance,

Chris.

james h

posted on 7/8/09 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
This should help

As could this

I have placed my temp sensor after the thermostat, in a special housing like this: eBay link

Some people put the thermo unit before the thermostat, however as its in the radiator on the bike I don't think it is necessary. Then again I got the 4xv temp sender and so got the wrong one!

Have you got a thermo unit yet? I would be interested to know where from as I still haven't got round to changing mine.

James

[Edited on 7/8/09 by james h]

Nosbod

posted on 7/8/09 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
Hi James,

Thanks for the reply. From you what you have said it seems like the one i have is correct. I bought it from my local Yamaha dealer and it cost £46.43 (inc VAT). Maybe a little steep, but considering the cost of other things i have had to buy during the build it's a drop in the ocean.

Cheers,

Chris.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.