Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Quaife diff advice
r1_manx

posted on 8/9/09 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
Quaife diff advice

hi guys,

I am running a QDF14K ATB Quaife Diff in my R1 fwd mini. Its an open diff setup with sprocket attached and a can to lubricate it. I have been advised by quaife to use grease and not oil for my application and they suggest a high quality, high melting point lithium grease and say I need to make sure I blast as much as possible into the diff can. Has anyone on here had experience with greasing their diff for a BEC build? Also, can anyone recommend a high melting point top notch grease I can use? Would appreciate any ideas on this, the Quaife guy couldn't advise a particular brand of grease so thats why im posting this. Thanks

If im not in action, im in traction!

blakep82

posted on 8/9/09 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
hmm, wonder why he wou;dn't have recommended one?

anyway, i guess you can't go wrong with a manufacturer like Castrol. they do lithium grease.

do you have a halfords on the isle of man? i know you can get castrol lithium grease from them

ooh, i have no experince in these diffs, but if he says lithium grease, i think castrolis pretty trustworthy

[Edited on 8/9/09 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

r1_manx

posted on 8/9/09 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
We don't have a halfords here but some small motor factors will do castrol grease. This is the reply I got from Quaife...

"Hello,
There is no pacific type that you need just a good strong high melting point grease.

Kind regards
Dave Weller
Quaife Sales"

Not great grammar I know, but I trust he knows his own diffs! When I spoke to another quaife sales guy at the Autosport show, he suggested a lithium based grease so I just need to hunt down one with a high melting point. I questioned him on whether to use oil but he was quite insistent that grease is the best combination with the ATB diff. I'll have a look at some greases this week. Cheers

r1_manx

posted on 8/9/09 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
This might be the ideal castrol grease actually, got to love google...

http://www.gate3.co.uk/product_detail.asp?prod=1854

blakep82

posted on 8/9/09 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
LM is the one i was thinking of too, but my knowledge of greased diffs is pretty slim. i'm certain thats a lithium grease though, looking at the packaging should give you the melting points etc

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

jpindy3

posted on 8/9/09 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
quiafe what a bunch of twats.
hobbsy

posted on 9/9/09 at 02:33 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by r1_manx
"Hello,
There is no pacific type that you need just a good strong high melting point grease.

Kind regards
Dave Weller
Quaife Sales"

So tempting to email him back and ask if he can recommend any *Atlantic* type grease! Hehe

[Edited on 9/9/09 by hobbsy]

hobbsy

posted on 9/9/09 at 02:35 AM Reply With Quote
Cool my last post was at 3:33 on 9/9/09

Bed time I think...

Mr Whippy

posted on 9/9/09 at 06:26 AM Reply With Quote
Tbh I think grease is most likely to end up sprayed to the inside of the can and nowhere near the diff cogs. It only works with bearings etc as it contained around them.

Personally if the can is oil tight then I'd fill it with oil.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mike S

posted on 9/9/09 at 06:50 AM Reply With Quote
I have a Quaife torque biasing LSD on the GT-1.

Asked the same question of Quaife when I assembled mine.

If your diff. is the same as mine it is not an open gear diff. (I dont mean open in the LSD sense but exposed gears like a normal diff. out of an axle case) which some people have converted to chain drive by fitting a can to contain the diff oil.

The Quaife diff is a sealed assembly with about 5 number 6mm threaded holes around the perimeter of the diff. casing.

I fitted grease nipples to each of these holes and then filled the diff. using these nipples with good quality HMP grease.

This is what Quaife recomended when I asked.

Cheers

Mike

There are more horses' asses in this world than there are horses

r1_manx

posted on 9/9/09 at 07:19 AM Reply With Quote
hello Mike,

Here is a pic of my differential assembled...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/r1manx/3032091083/in/set-72157605067216018/

Are the holes you mentioned for greasing the ones in my picture which have the small plugs in? I can remove the plugs with a bit of elbow grease (not available from castrol, hehe) and then fit grease nipples like you said. My diff is the same torque biasing type that you are running.

Cheers
Ben

minitici

posted on 9/9/09 at 07:50 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Ben,
I use this grease!
<
<
<
<
<
Your diff will have a bit of a gap between your oil can and the Quaife housing.
The Quaife Fiesta chain drive diff has a close fitting can on the housing with 6 grease nipples straight into the holes leading to the gears.
On the attached picture of a QDF14K Mini based chain drive you can see I have fitted grease nipples above these holes.
QDF14 chain drive
QDF14 chain drive

Although there is a gap between the nipples and the holes, at least the grease is going to get near to where it is needed.

r1_manx

posted on 9/9/09 at 08:49 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers for that info...I have got 2 M6 grease nipples installed on my diff can already, not sure if they directly correspond to the holes on the diff inside the can, but I will install another 4 grease nipples like you have and that should ensure that I get enough grease to the diff gears.

Mike S

posted on 9/9/09 at 11:00 AM Reply With Quote
Yep, my diff. is exactly the same as ^ above.

Just fit the grease nipples and fill with grease.

Simples

Mike

There are more horses' asses in this world than there are horses

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.