Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: ZX9R oil pick up
Andy W

posted on 27/4/04 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
ZX9R oil pick up

I've just removed the sump of my zx9 to have it chopped, and was just wondering whats the best way to shorten the oil pick up. I've seen some good photo's of modded sump's on the site, but any help with the pickup would be useful.

Cheers Andy

Chris7

posted on 28/4/04 at 07:11 AM Reply With Quote
that makes 2 of us

I removed mine to have it shortened i also need to know how to shorten the plastic oil tube with the guaze at the bottom as i think this is a major component for the oil collection

any advice is welcome .

Thanks Chris B

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ChrisGamlin

posted on 28/4/04 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
Send it to my uncle and he'll do both for £50

Seriously though, if you want to have a go yourself then here's what I know of what he does.
He chops the tube off the trumpet part, then I think machines the narrow end of the trumpet to have a hole that allows the tube to slide snugly down inside it (you could just cut it to shape if you were very careful). He then chops the tube to length leaving a couple of mm to act as a flange inside the trumpet, then its all sealed back together using glue (not sure what - superglue would probably work well on that plastic tho)

Obviously remember to measure the height of the pickup in relation to the un-modded sump as it is, then dont chop the pickup until after the sump has been chopped so you can get it all exactly the right height again.

Chris

[Edited on 28/4/04 by ChrisGamlin]

Andy W

posted on 28/4/04 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Chris

I'm geeting the welding done as a favour, so I think I'll have a go at the pickup, the way you describe sounds ok to me

Cheers Andy

Karl H

posted on 20/3/13 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
ZX9 oil pick up

I know this subject is old but if anyone still needs to do this see my photos to see how i shortened the ZX9 oil pick up. it holds itself together but i will seal with some gasket seal.
loony

posted on 21/3/13 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
How long is this removed piece of oil pick up ?
ZX9 oil pick up
ZX9 oil pick up

Is it equal length to the part chopped from oil sump ? (it's logical, but I preffer to ask)

Little OT - will you use sump baffle plate ?

Lucas

Karl H

posted on 21/3/13 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Loony, No its not the same, I cut out the strait section of the pick up, leaving aprox 5mm on the connector end so i had something to push inside the funnel end, I opened the hole in the funnel end a bit with sand paper and I sanded down the connector to fit inside the funnel. shortened it by about 30mm. when you shorten the sump take into account the thickness of the the baffle plate and gaskets and 8mm under the pick up for the little lugs that stops the pick up from touching the bottom of the sump.

I am new to this forum, how did you put the picture in your reply? I was trying to do this but gave up.

loony

posted on 21/3/13 at 11:42 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the info.

How much did you chop your sump ?

Do you have sump baffle plate ? Do you have any CAD drawing of it ?

To insert photo from your or someone else photo archive, just copy "forum code" that you can find over picture in archive.

Lucas

Karl H

posted on 22/3/13 at 01:14 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Loony, I refitted the shortened oil pick up to the engine, and measured how much it would protrude into the sump then added 8mm for the lugs took away 2mm for the baffle and that's how much I left on the sump if you see what I mean. Before I get it welded up I will fit to the engine and measure exactly what size the lugs I need to make, fingers crossed i got my measurements right don't want less than 8mm space under the pick up.

I got my baffle plate from this guy, Jonathan Rarity www.rarity.freeserve.co.uk/

very helpful Chap.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.