Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Big Offset 15" Wheels?
MakeEverything

posted on 27/2/10 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
Big Offset 15" Wheels?

Ive been looking at the wheels ive got, and i think im going to need larger width wheels (because of the additional power), with a big offset such as 70 or 80mm (To be confirmed when the hubs are back on the car).

Anyone know of any manufacturers or second hand 15" Wheels and tyres that would fit?

Currently, i have 205/45/15, and i think a maximum of around 295/40/15 would fit, but ill measure and confirm tomorrow.

Anyone got any ideas? Ive never been into wheels and tyres so im not sure where the best place is. Something like those used on the Ultima would work well.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

Steve G

posted on 27/2/10 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
Whats it going on?? Go too wide and you'll just ruin the handling i recon. I'd go to maybe 225 Toyo R888's on the same wheels, and go softer for more grip if really needed.
MakeEverything

posted on 27/2/10 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steve G
Whats it going on?? Go too wide and you'll just ruin the handling i recon. I'd go to maybe 225 Toyo R888's on the same wheels, and go softer for more grip if really needed.

I hear what youre saying, but the back of the kit car needs a bit more beef, and with the additional power of 280 - 380hp, i want to transmit the power to the road for accelleration rather than cornering speed. The transaxle (mid engine kit car) should deal with any width.
225's will still look very skinny on the back end.

Heart Transplant 1
Heart Transplant 1

[Edited on 27-22-10 by MakeEverything]

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

daniel mason

posted on 27/2/10 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
now that is very very cool. hope you have fun with mr iva man! lol. should make a great sprint/hill climb car! what sort of power are you running?
SPYDER

posted on 27/2/10 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
Your proposed 295/40-15's will have a bigger rolling radius than your present tyres and will alter the gearing as well as increasing the ride height. You can alter the ride height with different coilovers but that can screw up the geometry, particularly the roll centre height.
It seems that you need wheels with large negative offset. What hubs are you using?
You could use a wheel spacer, preferably the hubcentric type.
Of course, none of this matters much if you are interested in straight line pace above all else.
I would see what tyre sizes are available to suit your intended use, then carry on from there.
Geoff.

Chippy

posted on 27/2/10 at 11:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

and with the additional power of 280 - 380hp

As I understand it your fitting a Ford 2.9i BOA Cosworth, unless I have misread your previous post. If it's standard then you will get 195 (ish) BHP, if it's got BOB cams and Vectra injectors and an after market ECU you will be more than lucky to get better than 230 BHP. If on the other hand you are going to turbo it, I hope you have VERY deep pockets, you may then just tip 300 BHP. How do I know well just look at my avitar. Cheers Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

MakeEverything

posted on 27/2/10 at 11:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chippy
quote:

As I understand it your fitting a Ford 2.9i BOA Cosworth, unless I have misread your previous post. If it's standard then you will get 195 (ish) BHP, if it's got BOB cams and Vectra injectors and an after market ECU you will be more than lucky to get better than 230 BHP. If on the other hand you are going to turbo it, I hope you have VERY deep pockets, you may then just tip 300 BHP. How do I know well just look at my avitar. Cheers Ray

Hi Ray,

You are correct in saying that a Cossie V6, but a BOB 2.9 Cosworth engine is the plan not a BOA, and 210 is the standard crate engine power. With the aftermarket ECU (MS) and a tubular manifold, this can see it to around 230. A supercharger installation which i have planned) can see proven figures with the MS and tubular manifold, to between 270 and 330bhp, im told. Larger injecctors, lightened flywheel etc will all contribute to the top end figure, hence the wide band expectation.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

MakeEverything

posted on 27/2/10 at 11:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daniel mason
now that is very very cool. hope you have fun with mr iva man! lol. should make a great sprint/hill climb car! what sort of power are you running?

Already testd and registered!!

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

MakeEverything

posted on 27/2/10 at 11:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MakeEverything
quote:
Originally posted by Chippy
quote:

Hi Ray,

You are correct in saying that a Cossie V6, but a BOB 2.9 Cosworth engine is the plan not a BOA, and 210 is the standard crate engine power. With the aftermarket ECU (MS) and a tubular manifold, this can see it to around 230. A supercharger installation which i have planned) can see proven figures with the MS and tubular manifold, to between 270 and 330bhp, im told. Larger injecctors, lightened flywheel etc will all contribute to the top end figure, hence the wide band expectation.

Chippy,

Can i just clarify, did you install a BOA or just the 12V engine? Your photo archive suggests the 12V. If you installed the 24V BOA, then i would be interested to get some advicefrom you?

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

MikeRJ

posted on 28/2/10 at 12:16 AM Reply With Quote
The extra width will be for looks, you won't need to it put down that kind of power in a mid engined car. Plenty of MR2 Turbos around with that kind of power or more running 225-245s with no traction problems.
MakeEverything

posted on 28/2/10 at 12:22 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SPYDER
Your proposed 295/40-15's will have a bigger rolling radius than your present tyres and will alter the gearing as well as increasing the ride height. You can alter the ride height with different coilovers but that can screw up the geometry, particularly the roll centre height.
It seems that you need wheels with large negative offset. What hubs are you using?
You could use a wheel spacer, preferably the hubcentric type.
Of course, none of this matters much if you are interested in straight line pace above all else.
I would see what tyre sizes are available to suit your intended use, then carry on from there.
Geoff.

Quite right, but the additional weight will offset the rool centre height. The size tyres can be adjusted slightly, to match ecisting, but all of these points are adjustable. Ive got AVO fully adjustable coilovers to help change all of this.

Im using Sierra hubs, and straight line pace is probably the most important factor, as i dont plan on racing this car, other than run wot u brung and the odd track day.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

MakeEverything

posted on 28/2/10 at 12:23 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
The extra width will be for looks, you won't need to it put down that kind of power in a mid engined car. Plenty of MR2 Turbos around with that kind of power or more running 225-245s with no traction problems.

But dont they have traction control?

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

MikeRJ

posted on 28/2/10 at 12:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MakeEverything
But dont they have traction control?

No, unless you include the drivers right foot

They just have incredible amounts of traction with the engine weight over the driven wheels at the back. I was running standard 225 section tyres with ~250bhp and you had to give it serious abuse to get wheel spin in the dry.

Standard tyre size for my Fiat Coupe is 205, and I don't have much in the way of traction problems in the dry with 220 bhp, and that's FWD.

[Edited on 28/2/10 by MikeRJ]

boggle

posted on 28/2/10 at 10:04 AM Reply With Quote
my drag subaru only had 205 55 15's and it had over 400 hp.....

and they ran at 15psi.....

you should go with a flat four instead of that old ford junk

just because you are a character, doesnt mean you have character....

for all your bespoke parts, ali welding, waterjet, laser, folding, turning, milling, composite work, spraying, anodising and cad drawing....

u2u me for details

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

Chippy

posted on 28/2/10 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

You are correct in saying that a Cossie V6, but a BOB 2.9 Cosworth engine is the plan not a BOA

Hi mate, well best of luck with that, I am sure that you know that the BOB has its own problems with particularly the VIS, which takes a bit of getting around. If you need any info on the fitting and convertion then this forum is worth a look see. www. fordpower.co.uk or www.poweredbyford.co.uk Both of these deal almost exclusively with the 24V V6. Cheers Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

MakeEverything

posted on 1/3/10 at 11:38 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Ray,

I understand that both have their problems. All of the original Electronics are going, so this wont bean issue.
Im hoping to use EDIS 6 with my MS1.

Thanks for the links, ill give them a trawl.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.