Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Failed again
spunky

posted on 3/6/04 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
Failed again

to Hello all,
Failed my retest today on the emmissions again. Really p!ssing me off now.
CO level 0.00%
HC level 55ppm
but the b@stard lambda was 1.1
I need help.
how can I get the engine to run a touch richer so the air bleeds can do their stuff.
The guy let me go away and fit the power commander, which I wound up to run rich but still no good.
Also 103dB with a bucket of swarf crammed in the pipe.

cheers
(a very unhappy) John

Jon Ison

posted on 3/6/04 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
see jaspers post above, you'l get there,

alister667

posted on 3/6/04 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
You have my every sympathy John.
For the noise, I stuck 2 stainless steel scouring pads (normally for cleaning dishes) up the exhaust before mounting it. Really cut down the noise. I also used some acoustic foam under the bonnet - it seems to be a good job too.

For the emmisions (mine's a 99 blade - not sure what yours is) I used a cat exhaust and used Snoopy's aquarium valve method for adding extra air in there. I don't think that would help you too much if you need to get it richer though. Mine was failing and failing then for no apparent reason started to pass. That happened at a garage, I've now applied for the SVA again.
The whole emmisions thing seems to be very hit and miss - something of a black art.
Stick at it,
Ali

http://members.lycos.co.uk/alister667/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ChrisBradley04

posted on 3/6/04 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
John,
Firstly, I can only echo everyone else and say stick in there - it really will work one day. It took me 1 months work to pass emissions, and even then it was by 0.1%. The bike engine was never designed to pass this test.

My 2p on the test results:
1) When CO is 0 and HC 55ppm, then combustion is about perfect. There is the right amount of air and fuel.

So, given that lamda is simply a measure of oxygen in the exhaust gas, how is there so much oxygen in your exhaust to cause such a lean reading? I can only suggest that there must be air entering the exhaust gas at some point in your exhaust system. This could be anywhere from the exhaust ports of the cylinder head to the silencer joints.

2) What happened when you added more fuel via the PC? If my suggestion is correct then both CO and HC would rise while lamda would only move slightly towards 1. The results would also be volatile as more or less air was leaking it's way into the exhaust gas.

Finally, from my (albeit limited) experience of putting FI bike engines through SVA, then the difference between lean and rich on a leak free system is between 0.95 and 1.05. A reading of 1.1 means there is a lot of air in the exhaust, and you really would notice when driving to the SVA if the engine was running that lean (pops, bangs and stutters).

I hope this helps and do let me know if there is anything I can assist with.

Regards
Chris

timcrasher

posted on 4/6/04 at 06:42 AM Reply With Quote
Bloody 'ell John.
I know how pissed off you must be, I was absolutely gutted when mine failed. But like the guys say, the bike engines are so sensitive to even small amounts of adjustment that one minute your within limits and the next your miles off.
YOU WILL GET THERE!!!
It does sound more like an exhaust leak though, as Chris suggested the fuel air mixture seems good. I had a Gixer 1000 that was running really badly at work this week. It was running so rough that the ecu kept shutting the engine down. That turned out to be a cracked front pipe letting air in and altering the fuel mixture. The exhaust sensor then sensed something was wrong and adjusted the fueling. New pipe fitted, and she was spot on.
How much room do you have on your car for a silencer, because I have a 6" x 15" repackable one you may be able to borrow for the test

Jasper

posted on 4/6/04 at 06:48 AM Reply With Quote
Get yourself some kind of air injection lamda kit, I rented one from the chaps at Mac#1

I also sealed up my exhaust gaskets with silicone sealant (cheers Gordon), and it really did work and make a difference, and after 120 miles the tuff is still there - amazing.

Keep at it.

spunky

posted on 4/6/04 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks chaps for your kind words and encouragement, was feeling very despondant yesterday.
My thoughts/findings....
I would agree with the emmissions so low the engine would appear to be running close to perfect combustion. The cat was glowing a lovely cherry red and the silicon sealant was bubbling around the joint after the lambda sensor, this suggests to me that some gas was escaping and therefore air could be drawn in, thus giving a weak reading at the testers probe. Checked when I got back home and there is a very slight blow at the joint.
I have an closed loop air bleed system rented from Ian at ST, but at fast idle the solenoids remained closed. ie weak mixture that didn't need correcting, of course the Lambda could have been spot on but the probe reading was weak due to above mentioned air leak.
Also it concerns me that he cant get his probe very far up the pipe...

Chris. richened it up on the PC and yes the HC and CO did increase (still within limits) but the lambda reading barely changed. I have no experience with PC's so was expecting big changes.
So from what you guys have said and what I've found it does point to the air leak after the lambda sensor.
Unfortunately off to Download at Donnington all weeend so wont get to sort the thing out. Never thought I be so p!ssed of at going to see Metallica and Linkin Park...
As for noise, I dont think it will be possible to pass emmissions and noise regs at the same visit. Will be a case of fail on noise and go back for a retest with another exhaust that isn't full of cat crap but looks the same... I've tried the sound proofing and wadding and only got it down by 2dB.

Sorry for the long post but it helps me collect my thoughts.
Cheers all.
John

PS. does everyone else really struggle to type Lambda. I get the La down and then stall over the keboard and have to really concentrate on what I'm trying to type.
Weired...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.