Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Chassis & suspension tube thickness
ChrisS

posted on 23/6/04 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote
Chassis & suspension tube thickness

Sorry if this has been covered before. But i was wondering what the gauge/thicknesses should be on the book/locost chassis tubes and suspension tubes.

When i recently asked for 25x25 16swg at a steel stock holder, i was told that it wasnt very common. Something called erw, and that i should be using 25x25 shs 2mm thick.

Now im totally confused what type of material i should be using.
Thanks in advance for any help.

[Edited on 23/6/04 by ChrisS]

timf

posted on 23/6/04 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
try either

http://www.isg-steel.co.uk/5.shtml

as they stock 1"x1"x16g erw for main chassis

or

http://www.parkersteel.co.uk/macros/Hierarchy.mac/Matrix?VisitorID=4XXI11RIIT4&Status=guest&table_ref=40

who do 25x25x1.5mm erw both have counters in kent

JoelP

posted on 23/6/04 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
erw is electric resistance welded (or something like that), it has a bump down the inside where it got stitched up. some people say this makes it unsuitable for use in suspension arms as it might make a weak spot. this is used by nearly everyone for the chassis, including ron in the book (he never called it erw but it is). suspension tubes are (IMHO) best made in round tube, maybe 25mm diameter and 2mm thick. mine currently are 19mm SQUARE 16g erq, and i dont feel happy with them. But it has driven and they havent failed yet, i think they will fail on a hard bump one day though.

Locost?

posted on 23/6/04 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
I have used 25x25 mm 2mm thick mild steel tube for chassis, makes it heavier but no stronger. Its just what my local steel stockist had at the time. Suspension I used steam pipe, it said medium thickness on it. It has 3mm thick walls but is not seamless. Please don't anybody tell me I used the wrong stuff as it has taken me 3 years to get to the point where I am fully welding the chassis and I would rather be blissfully unaware .
gys

posted on 23/6/04 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
Did someone use CrMo for their Rollcage and wishbones? Or T45

[Edited on 23/6/04 by gys]

Man kann ein Auto nicht wie ein menschliches Wesen behandeln – ein Auto braucht Liebe...

gys

posted on 24/6/04 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
Another question:
Did someone use round tubes instead of the 25x25 rectangular tube...

Dax uses round tube for their top version of the Rush MC.

Man kann ein Auto nicht wie ein menschliches Wesen behandeln – ein Auto braucht Liebe...

andyps

posted on 24/6/04 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
there is someone who built a locost for hillclimbs and sprints who made it from round tube. Said it was probably much harder than square.

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

Peteff

posted on 24/6/04 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
25x25 16swg

1"x1" 16g is what you need. You are mixing imperial with metric. You can get 25x25x1.5 some places but it isn't common. I found some and the tube corners are much squarer than 16g, also it feels thinner to weld. The place I use carries loads of 1x1 16g in stock but doesn't do the 3/4", only 19mmx2mm.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.