Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: midy here i come!!
liam.mccaffrey

posted on 30/6/04 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
midy here i come!!

some may know me i have been posting on here for a while now.

As you can see form the info about me i am building a kseries de dion locost and have been flapping about because i have nowhere to build it and nowhere to store donor.
This is now not the case i have 2 ships storage containers now ! and have aquired a donor a r reg daewoo nubira with a 2 litre twin cam GM jobby in. my parents had it from new and it is mint condition. the reason i am going to use it is we cant sell it. I mean the only offers we've had are "I'll take it off you for £50"

so what i want to know is whethter there are existing plans for spaceframe middy available OR if the GM engine can be used longitudanally (spelling is crap sorry) and mated to a type 9 or something and used in a locost?

What do you think? I would love to build a middy it would be a flying machine the nubira is really quick

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

Alan B

posted on 30/6/04 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
Middy...no question...

Ok, so I'm biased.....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
sgraber

posted on 30/6/04 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
Middy. Why yes, yes you should!

We'll help out wherever we can.

IMHO - Your main concern should be whether you are willing to design/build a body for it... ???

Graber

Steve Graber
http://www.grabercars.com/

"Quickness through lightness"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
robinbastd

posted on 30/6/04 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
Bodywork? Pah!If you go for the exoskeleton look,ie. Aerial Arrow all you'll need is some wheel arches a bonnety job and a bit over the back!(OK,OK I know it's an over simplification)and while you're at it make it a single seater.
Guess which route I'm heading down.......
Ian

Only a dead fish swims with the tide.

http://smuttygifts.com/

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 30/6/04 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
that my point i want to build a chassis but I dont want to design it i haven't got the time , i want to lay out and tack chassis asap like tomorrow!! but the only thing is i don't have chassis plans if i can't find any i will have to modify the locost chassis. and that will take ages

guys i am all revved up with no place to go

edit
i have re read the thread i am prepared to make bodywork from scratch

[Edited on 30/6/04 by liam.mccaffrey]

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

robinbastd

posted on 30/6/04 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
Liam,
Mine is pure locost at the front and passenger compartment (most of). I kept the donor subframe for reference in order to get the correct engine mounting points which on the 4age are slightly off centre.
You can slim down the tranny tunnel as well.
If ever I get the electricity reconnected to my workshop I will be able to get on with the chassis and post some pics.

Join the middy brigade!
Ian

Only a dead fish swims with the tide.

http://smuttygifts.com/

Mark Allanson

posted on 30/6/04 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
I can vouch for the above - I have stood in it!

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

locost_bryan

posted on 30/6/04 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
GM 8v/16v engine (family II Vauxhall XE etc) can be used longitudinally with an Opel Manta 1800 5-speed - see this thread :- http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=14153

Bryan Miller
Auckland NZ

Bruce McLaren - "Where's my F1 car?"
John Cooper - "In that rack of tubes, son"

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 30/6/04 at 11:33 PM Reply With Quote
are there plans available like mcsorley or am i on my own?

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 1/7/04 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
stuff it i am going to design my own chassis

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

Alez

posted on 1/7/04 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by liam.mccaffrey
stuff it i am going to design my own chassis

That's such a top quote for T shirts and so on, it's kind of what Dr. Porsche said only funnier.

sgraber

posted on 1/7/04 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
Excellent Quote! Can I use that on my t-shirt? It's much more like what I was thinking when I built my car, except I didn't say 'stuff-it', I said 'fudge-it'... except not fudge, but the other word that starts with F...

Graber

PS - I think you have made a wise choice to design your own frame. Now you will have a long-lasting project that will drive you crazy, but in the end will be all yours and you will be very proud. I will help where I can, just post your questions.

Steve Graber

kb58

posted on 1/7/04 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
Good stuff, kind of like choosing a "corporate motto."

I think I'd like to use something like, "Alright, that's it, I'm doing my own."

Needs work...

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 1/7/04 at 10:51 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for teh help offers guys they will be taken up on in due time

i am going to stick with a 7 themed car because i have some of the body work

but i am going to shorten the front engine bay and extend the back, move the inside gubbins forward a bit. i would like to change the front suspension to something i saw a while back as well as inboard front suspension

what do you think of my donor daewoo nubira 2.0?

[Edited on 1/7/04 by liam.mccaffrey]

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

locost_bryan

posted on 2/7/04 at 01:02 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by liam.mccaffrey

Ah, Korea's finest...

they don't call them die-woo for nothing!

keep the engine and any good bits (does it have any other good bits?), but bury that UGLY body!

didn't they come with free membership to the Lawn Bowls Club?

Bryan Miller
Auckland NZ

Bruce McLaren - "Where's my F1 car?"
John Cooper - "In that rack of tubes, son"

TheGecko

posted on 2/7/04 at 01:59 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by liam.mccaffreyi am going to stick with a 7 themed car because i have some of the body work
Liam, you may or may not be aware that I'm going a very similar route right now. I have the outline of my chassis welded up and will be working on engine bay this weekend. I've recently decided to re-use the factory front subframe and suspension arms, along with the struts (although I will convert them to adjustable coil-overs).
quote:
but i am going to shorten the front engine bay and extend the back, move the inside gubbins forward a bit. i would like to change the front suspension to something i saw a while back as well as inboard front suspension
My measurements showed that I could probably get away with as little as 550mm from the rear axle line to the seat back - I'll be using about 800mm and burying the fuel tank(s) behind the bottom of the seat back.

What front suspension are you intending to use? Mine is Holden Gemini (Vauxhall Chevette to you) which has the same 4x100 PCD as my Corolla running gear. The wheels I'm using (some 15x7 three piece mags which came off an E30 BMW 3-series) have RWD offset which suits the Gemini front suspension but means that the rear will be about 40mm wider than it was on the Corolla (ie 1480 track vs 1440).

quote:
If that is the GM Family II engine I think it'll be a hoot to drive Plenty of torque, particularly in something that weighs not much more than half the donor.

Good luck and welcome to the middy-madhouse

Dominic

pbura

posted on 2/7/04 at 05:55 AM Reply With Quote
Hey, Liam, go for it!!

It's been several times now that fellows who have designed their own have posted their drawings, and have gotten terrific feedback and suggestions.

Don't know the Daewoo, but if it's smooth, torquey, and lightish it ought to be fine. I have an old Mazda 626 with an engine no one has ever sung songs about, but I'd love to have it in a middy, so I know where you're coming from.

Pete

Pete

Alez

posted on 2/7/04 at 09:11 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sgraber
Excellent Quote! Can I use that on my t-shirt?

Steve,

Yesterday when I saw the post I was wondering how to use your beautiful pic and logo (Grabercars) only with that quote of Liam for a Tshirt that would fit my small body (remember I can't buy the current one due to size ). I considered asking you for the pic and your permission to create a custom one for me or something. Dr. Porsche's quote is probably more glamorous? But Liam's is definitely funnier. Anyway, let me know what you think, I was thinking in a woman's Tshirt (no jokes!! ), the "custom women's tank top".

Cheers,

Alex

Edit edit edit Hey wait a second you have the women tank top available already!! Any plans to modify the quote? If not I'll have one as it is anyway, if yes I'll just wait

[Edited on 2/7/04 by Alez]

gys

posted on 2/7/04 at 09:37 AM Reply With Quote
Just curious: what is Dr. Porsche his quote (assume you mean Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche). The only one I call to mind is something like 'water is for boiling eggs', but I don't think that is meant...

Agree on the point that designing your own frame is more satisfying...
Although it drives you crazy and you wish 1000-times you had CAD-data from the manufacturer of your drivetrain, etc...

[Edited on 2/7/04 by gys]

Man kann ein Auto nicht wie ein menschliches Wesen behandeln – ein Auto braucht Liebe...

Alez

posted on 2/7/04 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
"I couldn't find the sports car of my dreams, so I built it myself." -Dr. Ferdinand Porsche
gys

posted on 2/7/04 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alez
"I couldn't find the sports car of my dreams, so I built it myself." -Dr. Ferdinand Porsche

I like it and I totally agree.
Think I have to get some shirts made as well .
Well ..., let's build a car first...

Man kann ein Auto nicht wie ein menschliches Wesen behandeln – ein Auto braucht Liebe...

Alez

posted on 2/7/04 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Think I have to get some shirts made as well .
Well ..., let's build a car first...

Pfff I can't be bothered to build a car, I'll just wear someone else's car Tshirt

kb58

posted on 2/7/04 at 02:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gys

Agree on the point that designing your own frame is more satisfying...
Although it drives you crazy and you wish 1000-times you had CAD-data from the manufacturer of your drivetrain, etc...
[Edited on 2/7/04 by gys]

Boy, amen to that brother! 1000 times is absolutely right. Only a from-scratch builder knows that one the hard way!

sgraber

posted on 2/7/04 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
Alez, We are double threading this thread about Liams Middy with t-shirt stuff. I feel like it's detracting from Liams efforts so I am going to move the t-shirt converstation over to this thread : Thinking about t-shirts - http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=14575

Hope that's ok!

Steve Graber

Steve Graber

Lawnmower

posted on 30/1/05 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
Hows the project gone?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.