Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Airbox over sausage filter?
koiking125

posted on 29/1/11 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
Airbox over sausage filter?

What problems would be expected when changing from a sausage filter to an origonal airbox setup?
Just swapped to an airbox, it has quietened the induction side of things down but on acceleration it now stutters sometimes when higher up in the revs. The air filter is not new, so can change that but do you think it will help or will it need re-jetting or setting up?

Cheers Kev

MK Owners Club Member (Frosty) No.1159

RazMan

posted on 29/1/11 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
Its a bit difficult to offer any advice if we don't know what your engine setup is

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MakeEverything

posted on 29/1/11 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
Sounds like it needs setting up for the different filter. Its amazing how much of a difference it makes.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

koiking125

posted on 29/1/11 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RazMan
Its a bit difficult to offer any advice if we don't know what your engine setup is

Its a 1997 rrv fireblade engine that has been Dynojetted, up until this morning it has had a TTS sausage filter fitted, now I have fitted the standard airbox from the origonal bike.

Cheers Kev

cosmick

posted on 29/1/11 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
You've probably just answered your question. It has been Dynojetted. Most Dynojet kits were fitted to bring the air fuel ratio back to normal because the sausage air filter fitted was less restrictive than the standard item. Now you have fitted the standard airbox, it will probably be running rich in the mid range, hence the stutter when accelerating. You will need to investigate what needles are in the carbs, whether the air correctors have been changed and if the main jets are still standard.

If it can't be fixed with a hammer then its probably an electrical problem.

mistergrumpy

posted on 29/1/11 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
I changed my sausage filter for an airbox that I made and it seems a bit more temperamental starting up now but once it's going it seems fine and smoother, unless it was a placebo effect
matt_gsxr

posted on 29/1/11 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
andy bates, where are you?

I bet he can answer this in his sleep, and provide the parts to sort it out.

Maybe give him a call, he is friendly.

Matt

gixermark

posted on 29/1/11 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
andy will most certainly know the answer..

But will also depend on whether you have a cold air feed into the std airbox ? or if its just sucking warm air in under teh bonnet through the std inlets to the airbox etc ??

either way Andy will know, and be able to advise exactly what jets, clip position etc to run whatever set up you have

koiking125

posted on 29/1/11 at 11:13 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all you replys guys, has anyone got Andys number and I will give him a ring.

Cheers Kev

Major Stare

posted on 30/1/11 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
I had a TTS airfilter on my R1.

I removed this and fitted the standard air box and standard air filter. The result was a quieter induction and more torque.It ran toatally fine.
I then changed from a Techcraft can (from the old x-flow) to a bike can and it ran rich..... so i fitted a K&N air filter. This now runs fine untill i get a PC fitted.

It sounds like you need the car mapping/PC, bike engines are sensitive to changes in induction and exhaust changes.

Speak to Andy http://www.abperformance.co.uk/ .... number is bottom right of webpage.

[Edited on 30/1/11 by Major Stare]

koiking125

posted on 30/1/11 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
Have u2ud Andy thanks guys. Eagerly waiting a reply

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.