Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Halfords trade card, have they cut the discount ?
zetec mike

posted on 10/3/11 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
Halfords trade card, have they cut the discount ?

Had my trade card for years and found the discount really good on Wipers bulbs and batteries, often > 50%. Went in to get wipers for a Fiesta the other day, front and rear, expecting the usual " that'll be £9.58 sir". Nearly fell over with " that'll be £20.78 please sir" !!!! Are you sure ? "yes sir retail £25.98, you pay £20.78, good isn't it ? ". Went to my local factors £13.23.
I havent tried on batteries, but I'd be interested to know if they've reduced the discount all round.

coozer

posted on 10/3/11 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
Got a new battery last week, £109.99 on the shelf, £73.06 at the till.

I've found the discount varies in there just like the weather does outside.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

trikerneil

posted on 10/3/11 at 11:11 AM Reply With Quote
There doesn't appear to be a fixed discount, it seems to be product dependent.

Some days I'm amazed at how cheap stuff is and others I pay nearly full retail.

I've never been able to suss it out.

Neil

ACE Cafe - Just say No.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
thunderace

posted on 10/3/11 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
its based on what you buy,halfords own brand stuff is the cheepest ,i make them price match all the time with autoparts trade price on any part over £50.
MikeCapon

posted on 10/3/11 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
Margins are very variable on car parts. Even in the same product range. Fast moving 'known value items' generally have less margin to give an appearance of good value to the whole range.

The overall margin is a big mix but as long as the average margin is acceptable to the retailer then all is well. Not many people will choose to buy a certain oil filter, tyre, battery etc just because it is cheaper. People buy what they need

Discounts are quite likely to be dependent on the margin and hence seem to be all over the place.

Unless you buy exactly the same item twice you'd be hard pushed to see any reliable trend.

ETA @ thunderace. And Halfords own brand will be what they are making the biggest margins on......

[Edited on 10/3/11 by MikeCapon]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
speedstar

posted on 10/3/11 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
Got an alternator from them last week for near on half price. But i've seen so much fluctuation in discount its unreal.

Also, if something is on special offer, your trade card can actually put the price UP. Be wary - and do 2 transactions if necessary.

mad4x4

posted on 10/3/11 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
How do you get one.....

THe manager at out local Halfrauds is a ***K and want's Invoices to prove you are really trade and letter from employer etc along with Blood group and a few personal measurements.....

Yet I was in another halfords months back and was told " if you come back with "with complements" slip or letter head you can have one.... Shame I was in a hurry that day
Seems to be very much at the maagers disgression

T66

posted on 10/3/11 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
Certain Halfrauds products have different discounts....

Sometimes its not worth having.

Sometimes it is...

trextr7monkey

posted on 10/3/11 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mad4x4
How do you get one.....

at the maagers disgression

Yep Managers discretion is one of the categories - the qualification in Motore Engineering and 95% of your income derived there from is the line of the much maligned jobsworth- be up front , tell them you have 4 kit cars which bits are for ever droping off and a pile of mates whose cars you help to maintain. ty one of the young females rathe rthan the hairyassed old grump and be prepared toask more than once- nowt to lose
Good luck

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14016102@N00/ (cut and paste this dodgey link)

Our most recent pics are here:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/trextr7monkey/

DRC INDY 7

posted on 10/3/11 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
I just showed them my mot smart card

https://www.facebook.com/groups/462610273778799/

Puddle Dodgers Club

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 11/3/11 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
It varies on all sorts of parts.... brake fluid and other fluids are the best discount though. Yesterday I got a £6.50 bottle of brake fluid for £2
NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.