Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Stubby bike exhaust?
elf83

posted on 3/4/11 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
Stubby bike exhaust?

Is anyone using a stubby bike exhaust on their car? Just wondering what the noise levels are like for track use. Also thought mounting it right next to the engine bay would look rather cool and save (a tiny bit) weight on reduced pipe lengths.
johny p

posted on 3/4/11 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
hi mate.. yes i run i locost fireblade with a micron race can.. extremely noisey at 105 db at mid throttle.. too loud for pit lanes i think...
elf83

posted on 3/4/11 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
Have you got any pictures of it? Are they all too loud?
johny p

posted on 3/4/11 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
have a look in my pic archive mate it shows it in there... yeah i think most tracks have a db limit of 103?
gmoto

posted on 3/4/11 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
Do you mean a bike can that's been cut down? (As the term is used in the bike world.)

If so, doubt a stubby race can will get through any trackday with noise testing. People I've known on bikes have had to stick baffles in. Most 'race' end cans end up just under 105db - my Triumph 675 (stock headers, scorpion can) usually comes in at 102-103db. My GSXR1000 with an official Suzuki-Yoshi can was around 99db I think - being an official one it's pretty quiet for an aftermarket can even without baffle.

elf83

posted on 3/4/11 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
I mean like this kind of end can SUZUKI GSXR1000 CARBON SCORPION STUBBY EXHAUST 01-04 on eBay (end time 11-Apr-11 21:26:43 BST)
matt_gsxr

posted on 3/4/11 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
If you have the exhaust outlet too far forward then you may have problems with exhaust fumes when at low speed.
franky

posted on 3/4/11 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
they ruin the exhaust performance and are very loud.
elf83

posted on 3/4/11 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
So what your saying is dont bother! lol
LBMEFM

posted on 3/4/11 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
I have a Fireblade engined MK with the standard manifold and intermediate pipe with a Fireblde can. It's noisy at approx 105db but I have never been stopped at Lydden Hill and the performance seems fine to me. Barry
gmoto

posted on 3/4/11 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
The pictured one appears to be trying to look like a racefit growler. The racefit is a VERY loud pipe (only beaten by their 'slashcut', which is basically just something to make the end of your mid pipes look prettier while you run it with no can at all.)
So I'd expect it will also be pretty loud without the baffle (just noticed it's a scorpion rather than a cheap copy, but expect the same still applies) - with the baffle, it'll probably be a bit badly restrictive to the exhaust gasses to get it quiet without long sections of wadding.

I've ridden around a friend's GSXR600 with a racefit before and it was a big step above my ZX9R with full Akrapovic race system (Micron end can) in volume.

Good for being noticed commuting. Wouldn't be great for keeping the blood in your ears with no helmet.

[Edited on 3/4/11 by gmoto]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.