Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Ford LSD. It's slipping! Need help.
monkeyracer

posted on 1/5/11 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
Ford LSD. It's slipping! Need help.

Chaps,

I managed to get a pro builder (wont mention names) to swap the LSD bit from my old 3.92 to a 3.38 that i found, giving me a 3.38 LSD.

I did a hill climb the other day and out of hairpins, there was no drive out of the corners. It felt like there was no bite in the diff plates at all.

I've not done much hard running since it was built but can you get them set to be 'stiffer', and is it an easy thing to do?

Cheers
J

MikeR

posted on 1/5/11 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
Was it a sierra LSD - i'm asking as they don't have plates, its a magic liquid that provides the limited slip.
flak monkey

posted on 1/5/11 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
A viscous LSD wont stop an inside wheel spinning up on hairpin bends...neither will an ATB. They dont provide a positive 'locking' action to prevent it. Just resistance so you maintain a small amount of forward motion.

The only way to stop it is to fit a plate LSD like a tranx which will lock if a wheel starts to spin....assuming your suspension is set up as well as it can be.

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

mark chandler

posted on 2/5/11 at 08:09 AM Reply With Quote
my 100,000 mile sierra lsd is still tight enough to allow the car to spin up both rear wheels and you can feel it trying to keep the car straight, if you jack the car up can you feel it doing anything by spinning the rear wheels by hand?

There are companies that will fill with 'heavier' fluid to tighten, I would look at an alternative though once I was sure what I had was functioning correctly and still inadequate, these are designed for a much heavier car after all so a tired one should still be good.

Regards Mark

[Edited on 2/5/11 by mark chandler]

monkeyracer

posted on 2/5/11 at 02:21 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys. I honestly can't feel any friction, in tight corners and would prefer a stronger diff. I am amazed that this diff is designed for a sierra and on such a light car it spins up.

Anyway, suggestions of companies to sort it would be great as well as a place to get a plate diff.

Thanks.

bigfoot4616

posted on 2/5/11 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
got my plate diff direct from tranx. having tried it out at anglesey on friday the differance is unbelivable.
was able to really nail it out of the corners(with a few good sideways moments) where i had to feed the power in gently with my old open diff.

Jon Ison

posted on 2/5/11 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
I have a guy just up road from me who builds and re furbs plate diff's properly, be to far away from you though unless you sent it on a pallet ?

Coincidence justnback from Anglesey myself, full circuit 2 nice driftingnhaipins

Can you not get a torque wrench on one wheel with thenother locked to see what it slips at, bit crude will give you a pointer as to how bad it is ?

monkeyracer

posted on 2/5/11 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler
my 100,000 mile sierra lsd is still tight enough to allow the car to spin up both rear wheels and you can feel it trying to keep the car straight, if you jack the car up can you feel it doing anything by spinning the rear wheels by hand?

There are companies that will fill with 'heavier' fluid to tighten, I would look at an alternative though once I was sure what I had was functioning correctly and still inadequate, these are designed for a much heavier car after all so a tired one should still be good.

Regards Mark

[Edited on 2/5/11 by mark chandler]

Hi mark, can you point me towards someone that can do the heavier fluid. Thanks

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.