Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Blackbird engine won't fit!!??
Cordite69

posted on 8/5/11 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
Blackbird engine won't fit!!??

Hi , I am putting together a locost which originally had a pinto engine fitted but I am replacing it with a blackbird engine. I was planning to weld a cradle for the engine this weekend but when I lowered the engine into place I don't seem to have enough room to line the gearbox output up to the transmission tunnel !?!?!

Am I doing something wrong? does the engine need to sit square to the scuttle panel? Does the sump need to be horizontal? Do the throttle air intakes (injected engine) need to be perfectly vertical ?

If I get a 2 piece prop does it need to run perfectly straight

Help!!!!!!!!

simonpa

posted on 8/5/11 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
The prop(s) shouldn't be straight, the UJ's don't like to run straight - they will seize.
In a 2-peice, the front prop (with the slider) will come out of the engine straightish (the rubber cush takes up any flex) and then turns at the centre-bearing. There is then a bit more of a turn at the rear U'J, where it bolts to the diff.

The engine is normally canted over, so the join between the block and the sump is horizontal.

HTH - Simon

Cordite69

posted on 8/5/11 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Simon, I've got the engine canted over,sump is horizontal , but the cam cover is almost on top of the n/s chassis rail and the gearbox output is still 4" away from centre of transmission tunnel!!! How much articulation can I get from tge prop centre bearing and the gearbox?
simonpa

posted on 8/5/11 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
In my setup, the centre bearing on the prop was fitted to where the gearbox mount for a type-9 Ford box went.
The front prop then went in a straight line from the BB gearbox output to this point, so was pretty offset.
There is a u/j at the rear of the centre bearing, which then took the drive 'around the corner' to then run back to the diff.

You can see the components of the prop(s) here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/simonpa/sets/72157626550642715/

I'll see if I have any pics of the prop in place, but I never thought to take proper pics before/during the disassembly - doh!

Cheers - Simon

simonpa

posted on 8/5/11 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
I've just checked some pics another BB-engined car owner sent me, and the cylinder head cover is in line with the side-rail of the car, so the engine is definitely installed 'twisted'.
In one pic, the front prop does look to be several inches off-centre and entering the tunnel at an angle.

Cheers - Simon

Cordite69

posted on 8/5/11 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the info Simon, I thought I was going mad!!!!!! I would love your dry sump setup but "locost" is fast becoming "high cost" !!!!! What did you have your bb engine in?
jacko

posted on 8/5/11 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
If you look in mookaloid 's photo archives there is some photos of his car with a B/Bird engine fitted
Jacko

Description
Description

here is one of the photos

[Edited on 8/5/11 by jacko]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
simonpa

posted on 8/5/11 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
It was in a wide-bodied Caterham.
It was really nice to drive, but the install was compromised (i.e. bodged) as Caterham never made a kit for the SV car.

I was going to try and rectify things, but it needed too much work...
It's going to be much simpler (and easier to sell on) as a K-series car!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.