Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Duratec Clutch Help
SteveSEIW2000S

posted on 9/6/11 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
Duratec Clutch Help

OK, so my problem is that I came to bleed the clutch at the weekend and when all complete I pressed the clutch to check the pressure and found that the pushrod into the master cylinder became only what can be described as loose.

I have since taken the master cyliner off and it appears to be working as it should directly after loosing off the clutch pipe banjo.

I have the following parts fitted in my clutch :

Fiesta ST Flywheel (Solid)
Pinto uprated clutch plate
Fiesta ST pressure plate
Mondeo type Slave Cyliner
Raceline Bellhousing
Mitchell Cotts Gearbox.

The issue is, to find out whether the slave has stuck in the pressure plate fingers means an engine out job. Anyone out there experienced a similar issue or can advise before I take the plunge and take the lot out again?

Thanks

Steve

big-vee-twin

posted on 9/6/11 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
I used a RS Turbo pressure plate and like yours is from a FWD car.

In order to ensure that I didnt have your problem I have shortened the clutch fingers by about 3mm as the central hole reduces in diameter when the clutch is pressed and as you say the fingers can bind on the guide tube.

Flak Monkey on here also did the same thing.

Another thing to consider is; are the fingers on the pressure plate flat if they are, you will need a rounded face thrust bearing such as the one from a SAAB this allows the bearing and fingers to roll around each other.

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

austin man

posted on 9/6/11 at 02:21 PM Reply With Quote
Brother in law is using the zetec cylinder on his silvertop utilising zetec clutch and pressure plate and flywheel onto a type nine box. He did buy a kit with a spacer to move the release bearing closer to the pressure plate. Unfortunately it was designed with the Pinto plate in mind so the throw was incorrect resulting in a knackered hydraulic bearing. He has sine had another spacer made to his requirements and all is now good.

You dont mention whether you are using the spacer if not potentially expensive problem ahead. His did last for around 5o miles before losing all its fluid

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

SteveSEIW2000S

posted on 9/6/11 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by austin man
You dont mention whether you are using the spacer if not potentially expensive problem ahead. His did last for around 5o miles before losing all its fluid

The raceline bellhousing has a direct mount for the slave cylinder therefore I dont believe a spacer is required ??

Steve

austin man

posted on 9/6/11 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
the spacer the brother in law had was possibly 3 inches high he bought the kit from a retro ford place if that helps any

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

big-vee-twin

posted on 9/6/11 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
I have the same bell housing and have a spacer in behind the cylinder, the cylinder does mount directly but you need to mount the bell on the engine and measure the distance to the fingers from the back of the bell deduct the length of the cylinder which leaves you with a spacer depth mine I think was 12mm.

You may also need to trim the fingers as I did

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

SteveSEIW2000S

posted on 10/6/11 at 08:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big-vee-twin
I have the same bell housing and have a spacer in behind the cylinder, the cylinder does mount directly but you need to mount the bell on the engine and measure the distance to the fingers from the back of the bell deduct the length of the cylinder which leaves you with a spacer depth mine I think was 12mm.

You may also need to trim the fingers as I did

Did you use a solid flywheel also ? and who supplied the spacer for your assembly ?

Thanks

Steve

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.